Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine mounts - 996 options...

I fitted torque solutions semi solids to the GT3 dan. check out the pic here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=126520

I am in the US a lot so just got them sent to hotel from a firm called Warehouse33. was about £250 all in with shipping an ex rate

they are defo firmer that's for sure and same as the RSS. back felt tighter and it makes the engine scream even more pronounced. tiny bit more NVH in cabin but GT3s are loud and proud anyway as you have thinner carpet and less sound proofing to keep eight down

you can put the 993 RS mounts onto a gt3 and will be firmer. I am going to put them on the blue baron.

Update

Looks like I ordered the wrong mounts from carparts4less, got a very helpful email from Matt of Type 911 this morning advising me that I've in fact procured 930, pre 89 RS engine mounts.

So please avoid what I've done.

Re: Update

uk996 said:
Looks like I ordered the wrong mounts from carparts4less, got a very helpful email from Matt of Type 911 this morning advising me that I've in fact procured 930, pre 89 RS engine mounts.

you know I looked at the post last night and thought how the hell did he get them that cheap £22 each ,I wonder if its the right part . So now we know :thumb: but decent service from them to contact you to double check :thumb:

Just put some 964/993 RS mounts on my car and there is a slight but noticeable increase in the odd bit of vibration. Not very much, but definitely there.

The gear-change has tightened up a little as well (but I already had powerflex gearbox Mark-2 inserts anyway.

Old mounts were original OEMs and the change I would describe as a minor improvement; certainly not night-and-day.

Matthew from Type911 recommends longer bolts, 125mm M12, I've found 120mm BZP 8.8 steel bolts that should work fine.

I've purchased the 964/993 RS aftermarket mounts and seats from him (Type911).

The latest shopping list.

Re: Update

uk996 said:

I did wonder when I saw that and did think it was too cheap and too good to be true ;-)

glad you sorted it out in the end and thanks for posting up the link to type911 kit.

uk996 said:
JS1500 said:
McSwerve said:
Type 911 do aftermarket RS mounts for £96 the pair.
They seem to have tightened things up significantly.
I did need longer bolts for the 996

Thanks for that, just what I wanted to hear. They have the pair for £96 or a kit with all bolts/washers etc for £125 - have asked them if these bolts are ok for 996 application.
:thumb:

McSwerve - did it make any harsher or noisier ?

Cheers

It's difficult to describe, for me they just made the back of the car feel more connected. After a few days it just then feels like the new norm.

I'm now looking forward the rewards of having my new Top Gear sports boxes fitted (courtesy of the group buy) and my suspension sorted at Centre Gravity in a couple of weeks. Then I'll be ready for the spring / summer!

Before I take mine apart to find out, is there an exploded parts manual that shows how it all goes together?

There seem to be lots of different lists of nuts bolts and washers required! I've looked at the Type911 kit and it seems to have 6 bolts but only 2 nuts. There are also 4 seating washers, I can see from Pelican that 2 go under the M12 bolts (under the engine mount). Where do the others go.

As I see it at the moment, M8 bolts and washers to fasten the mount to the chassis and an M12 bolt through the mount to the engine support. Is there anything on the M12 bolt above the engine support bracket? Does the other seating washer go above the engine mount under the M12 bolt head or is that where the thick M12 washer sits? Talking of thick, is it just me?

After reading all the threads on here about engine mounts I have just ordered RSS mounts.

Brake discs and pad next - it is turning into an expensive month.

INWB said:
After reading all the threads on here about engine mounts I have just ordered RSS mounts.

Brake discs and pad next - it is turning into an expensive month.

Let us know what you think of the RSS mounts when you've had time to try them out.

Mine has the 993/964 RS (aftermarket) mounts fitted now and I think they've made a fair difference. I can't directly compare them to standard as one of mine was shot before the replacement, so I guess any new ones are bound to feel better! Gear change seems improved, passenger seat vibrates LESS than before (apologies to my wife) and gone is the dull 'thunk' I'd been getting on rutted roads.

Got my ABS issue sorted too, happy days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back