Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo - Amazing / Wow / Innovations?

FWIW theres a post on pistonheads asking how fast a 996 turbo is now. Basically, it still holds its own. I suppose the nature of all technology is that it filters down to cheaper cars once the more expensive ones have worked out the kinks.

Having a look on wifi, the ferrari at the time was a 456 which was slower, and the aston was either a vantage, or a DB7 or a virage. All of which are slowe so i think its pretty amazing (see what i did there) that this car was so quick when its almost a 20 year old design.

I think, but am not certain, that it had the biggest brakes of any production car at the time it was launched.

and when you look at some of the modded ones ES etc they are still holding their own against 20 yr newer cars it is amazing really :grin: :thumb:

one member on the way to Dinslaken last year got 217mph out of his tuned one , that it startling for a car nearly 20 years old

MisterCorn said:
Nothing really new or ground breaking. Perhaps that is why they managed to make it work properly :?:

MC

I'd agree. In 2000 what other high performance suoercar could be driven to work everyday, do the Tesco run, whizz round Millbrook on a weekend, potter into central London on an evening, take you to Geneva effortlessly, or dart round the Nürburgring? All the time showing up more exotic machinery by Ferrari and Lamborghini. Wow?

And able to do so without needing a full engine rebuild or set of tyres.

18 years ago that was pretty innovative :dont know:

And it was surely amazing that they could do this even 15 years after they were built with little hassle? Mine did. That is surely pretty amazing? :?:

Just for reference I'm looking at changing my turbo for an m4 and that is more or less the same speed (obviously less if it's raining :D ) but it just shows how capable these cars are. My only issue is when you put your foot down, people don't realise how quickly the car goes.

Without doing any research, I'd have thought a twin turbo water-cooled flat six in a road car was more or less a first. Add to that the challenge of cooling it in a rear installation and 4WD and I think you probably have a 'first". The remarkable thing was it worked and was so driveable.

Wasn't just any old flat six in the 996 turbo either, it basically got a "cooled-down" version of the same engine that powered the GT1 to Le Mans victory.

The turbo suffers by constant comparison to the GT3 which, let's face it, the absolute sports car benchmark; everything gets compared to a GT3. because the turbo is not as full-on as the GT3, people dismiss it as "not a sports car" when, in fact, it's much more of a sports car than a lot of other marque's efforts that are also compared to the GT3.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back