Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo - Amazing / Wow / Innovations?

iceboy

Hi All,

I've just been googling but couldn't find what I was looking for.

So over to you....

What are the amazing bits of technology, materials, world firsts etc that this car showcased?

IceBoy
:thumb:

Wow, nothing?!

So just an ordinary, run of the mill car with nothing new to talk about back in 2000?

IceBoy
:dont know:

iceboy said:
Hi All,

I've just been googling but couldn't find what I was looking for.

So over to you....

What are the amazing bits of technology, materials, world firsts etc that this car showcased?

IceBoy

Watercooled :dont know:

:wink:

EVO Car of the Year.

No special tech; just Porsche moving the game further along from the 993 Turbo (with a clean-sheet design that was much lighter and stiffer than the archaic 1960s shell) and using the Mezger 3.6 engine.

Thats more or less it.. It was a step in evolution. Lighter / stiffer (a good combo). Mezger 3.6 and the big change was the obvious move to water cooling.

OK, let me put the question another way:

What does the 996 Turbo have that ordinary cars do not?

Special exotic materials?
Special windscreen?
Obviously a dry sump

The reason I ask, when my old S-class was launched it had loads to new stuff that mere-mortal cars did not....just wondering what the 996 turbo has up it's sleeve that ordinary cars do not?

IceBoy
:?:

2 turbos :floor: .

I am staggered to find a thread looking for similarities between a 996 turbo and a Merc S class :floor: :floor: they are both German is about it from what I can see, I mean ones a speed boat the other a barge how can they be compared. they are surely aimed at different ends of the market, the S class is a lovely car but very different to a 996 turbo . some of the tech may be similar and merc may have been the first with it.

Nothing really new or ground breaking. Perhaps that is why they managed to make it work properly :?:

MC

Phil 997 said:
I am staggered to find a thread looking for similarities between a 996 turbo and a Merc S class :floor: :floor: they are both German is about it from what I can see, I mean ones a speed boat the other a barge how can they be compared. they are surely aimed at different ends of the market, the S class is a lovely car but very different to a 996 turbo . some of the tech may be similar and merc may have been the first with it.

Hi Phil,

I'm not comparing the two cars.....LOL.

I just thought there may have been lots of innovation or technology in the car not seen or used in mortal-run of the mills cars.

I'll get my coat on the way out.

IceBoy

Performance.

When launched, there was nothing, short of a supercar - and even some of those were not equal to the task - that could offer the breadth of performance.

Eggs into headlights?

That was pretty innovative, not been done before or since?

Performance! Blazing fast when released and still cuts it with most 20 years on.

Diggermeister said:
Performance.

When launched, there was nothing, short of a supercar - and even some of those were not equal to the task - that could offer the breadth of performance.

I agree with this :thumbs: also a stock car can be tuned very easily. Add in a few mods and performance is on par or exceeds a lot of today's supercars. Not bad for a 20 year old design. Not many cars can claim that especially one that is reliable and comfortable enough to use as a daily. 4 seats so you can even use it for family duties.

iceboy said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi Phil,

I'm not comparing the two cars.....LOL.

I just thought there may have been lots of innovation or technology in the car not seen or used in mortal-run of the mills cars.

I'll get my coat on the way out.

IceBoy

No I knew you werent mate and only kidding :grin: :grin: But have to agree with others the 996 turbo was a true sports car but could carry the family while chasing the fezzas etc about :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back