Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 rear light conversion

nikos525

So finally got around to updating the rear lights to the Gen2 ones, while the aftermarket ones for the Gen1 are good, they still don't update the rear as much as a full conversion, but obviously there is a price difference!
So everything went fine, swapped over the parktronic sensor brackets, installed rear bumper & lights and then finally installed the rear module which goes under the passenger seat.
Here is what happened:
Installed the rear lights - lights were not working at all;
Swapped out the rear module to the newer one - lights still not working at all;
I took it to an indie to get the coding done, to switch to LED but they were still not working;
They re-installed the old rear module copied the settings and then copied over all the data from the old module to the new module - lights still didn't work!
I then remembered that I hadn't cut away the small tab so that the lights can fully plug in - thought I had, my bad-, so they removed the lights, cut the small tab & then the lights worked! But
Now the indicators are flashing at a normal rate from outside the car, however, inside they are flashing fast - I have fitted a turbo front bumper with a plug and play box so DRLs are on when the indicator is not working - was working perfectly before with the dectane rear lights,
I also get my horn beeping when I lock the car - again working perfectly before.
Any ideas?
Some pics :D

Attachments

• img_2991_761.jpg
    img_2991_761.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 8,107
  • img_2992_187.jpg
    img_2992_187.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 8,107
  • img_2994_287.jpg
    img_2994_287.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 8,107
Nik , drop forum member Monster a PM as he has done this convertion and may be able to give you a fix , sounds to me like it needs a relay or something but hopefully he will help :thumb:

failing that sell me those lights :grin: :grin:

Hi Niko
Looks great. Looks like from your description that your missing the control units. If you do a Google search you'll see there are some detailed "how to" on your topic.
Btw is your car a 997.1 Turbo or is it a C4S with Turbo spoiler assembly. The pic of the rear of your car makes it look like you've got a C4S rear number on. Just curious.
Good luck with the remediation :thumb:

The beep when locking can be a sign something isn't properly closed. Centre console can cause it.

Phil 997 said:
Nik , drop forum member Monster a PM as he has done this convertion and may be able to give you a fix , sounds to me like it needs a relay or something but hopefully he will help :thumb:

failing that sell me those lights :grin: :grin:
Thanks Phil, I was hoping he would see the thread and shine some light on this :D
As for the lights, these are rarer the rocking horse sh*t, it took me over a year to find a set at a normal price, but I'll put you first in line :thumb:

FZP said:
Hi Niko
Looks great. Looks like from your description that your missing the control units. If you do a Google search you'll see there are some detailed "how to" on your topic.
Btw is your car a 997.1 Turbo or is it a C4S with Turbo spoiler assembly. The pic of the rear of your car makes it look like you've got a C4S rear number on. Just curious.
Good luck with the remediation :thumb:
Thanks FZP,
I changed the rear control unit, thought that was all it needed, the indie that tried to code it told me that I might need to change the front one as well, first time I heard that, I will visit my OPC tomorrow, they have always helped me out before and for free :D :D
I've got a 997.1 C2S, I always liked the gadgetry with the rear wing of the turbo that's why I got it, then I had to balance it and get the front end too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Magic919 said:
The beep when locking can be a sign something isn't properly closed. Centre console can cause it.
I checked everything, including the glove box and everything was closed, maybe it has something to do with the coding :?:

Hi Nick,
Glad to see them finally fitted! They do suit the darker car better than the grey.
When I did my conversion, I bought a pair of interface modules which were supposed to avoid the need for changing out the original module. It turned out that they didn't quite work as advertised & caused the dash indicator to flag up as a failed reversing light. I ended up having to change the original car rear module for a gen 2, keep the interface modules at the rear & modify them to get everything working as it should.
I'll look up the original post as I'm sure I posted all the info on here in the end...

Thanks for the heads up Wayne, I'll have a read through.
I really am in love with these lights, thanks btw :thumbs:

nikos525 said:
I agree. I love parking it at night and looking back at it. :thumb:

nikos525 said:

Dont rub the light in mate :grin: :grin: If you need monsters input let me know and I will send him a text to have a look at the thread , as hes not on here much at the moment as doing a huge house renovation :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
nikos525 said:

Dont rub the light in mate :grin: :grin: If you need monsters input let me know and I will send him a text to have a look at the thread , as hes not on here much at the moment as doing a huge house renovation :thumb:
Cheers Phil, I'd appreciate it if you could SMS monster to see if he can shed some "light" on the issue :D :D
I'm off to DC & NY for the next 2 weeks so I'll have another look at getting it sorted when I'm back & I will see if there are any goodies to pick up while I'm out there.
Hopefully some engine mounts :yes:

:floor: :floor: I will ask him to have a read of the thread and see if he has any pearls to add :thumb:

Hi Nik, Phil has just prompted me lol! - Ive just read through your thread - What you've done to car looks very nice!

I must admit, as others have said I am not sure the horn beep is linked to the light conversion, that is usually associated with frunk or glovebox etc not being shut properly check even your arm rest cover is shut as I think that can trigger it too...

Regarding the indicators blinking fast - I really think this is associated with either the rear control unit or the settings you have selected within PIWIS. You need to ensure you have the correct control unit which it looks like you have done, and then ensure you have selected all the correct associated options within PIWIS, in particular telling the car via the PIWIS option that it is now running LED lights.

You may find that the beep goes away when you have all the PIWIS settings correct although I am not convinced that it is linked...

I know you have tried programming it already, but I am pretty sure that is where the issue with the rapid flashing lies, so get it hooked up again to PIWIS before you try anything else - also it is very important to do a 'vehicle handover' within PIWIS at the end of the programming session as well, in fact this could be the issue have you not done that!

Let us know how you get on!

Good luck with it :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back