Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stinky new clutch !

KP964

I should ask my indy about this and i will but wonder if anyone has experienced this , i had a new clutch fitted last week and every time i pull away the car absolutely honks of rotting turnips or what i would guess rotting turnips would smell like , it goes away after a couple of minutes but its a really offensive smell . :?:

I understood that smell is just the compound of the friction plate. Normal.

(Used to be asbestos.)

thesmithsUK said:
I understood that smell is just the compound of the friction plate. Normal.

(Used to be asbestos.)

Thanks.. any idea how long i have to put up with it ?

Clutch is slipping , take it back as soon as poss

I've had my 964 for nearly a year and I still sometimes get it!

I had the same thing on a boxster S and it turned out to be a faulty pressure plate. Best to get it checked.

edge said:
I had the same thing on a boxster S and it turned out to be a faulty pressure plate. Best to get it checked.

Thanks ... Clutch operates fine except for the rancid smell , i thought it would fade but it hasn't

Mine stinks when it gets some action. Holding it on a hill for a few seconds, parking manoeuvres where you might slip it slightly, etc.
It's a Sachs clutch and still wiffs after 2 years & 22k miles.

Mine's the same (on my 964, not my 996!)

Mine too even after several years. If I have to hold it on the clutch or slip it smells bad.
The smell soon clears and the clutch works fine.

Yep, I agree with everything that people are saying in that you can invoke the smell by slipping the clutch when pulling away on a hill etc and if that's what's happening in this case it's normal . Sorry if I have confused the issue.

edge said:
Yep, I agree with everything that people are saying in that you can invoke the smell by slipping the clutch when pulling away on a hill etc and if that's what's happening in this case it's normal . Sorry if I have confused the issue.

No confusion thanks for your input , i phoned my indy he said the smell is normal after fitting a new clutch and will fade , i hope he is right as its doing my head in :thumb:

The amount of starship miles you do in that car Keith it could well actually be rotting turnips....I've never seen a picture of you washing it :grin:

I once had a girlfriend with this affliction....

*edit*

Sorry, misread the title. I'm sure the new clutch is fine.

I had my clutch changed about 3 years ago and it still sinks if I slip the clutch. I think of it as an early warning system. :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back