Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to remove a door on a 993

pietrzj

Hi,
hinge bushes (4xbrass inserts) are worn on my drivers door and I will need to remove the door completely to replace them. I can do this two ways: remove the 6 hinge bolts or knock out the two hinge pins.

The 6 bolts would be easier and less likely to damage the paint, but I imagine lining the gaps up after would be more difficult.

Any one removed and replaced a door on a 993? Any advice as to which method works best?

I will probably have to do it singlehanded, but i shoukl be able to set up some suspension sttaps and jacks underneath.

JanP

Disturbing the hinge bolts is to be avoided if it can be. The paint on them will crack and it'll look a mess afterwards.

I've had the door removed from mine to have the check strap rectified. They extracted the pins and removed the door. Then they fitted new brass bushes and pins on the reinstall.

One word of caution. Don't expect the bushes to just fit. They're an old school item that need to be pressed in to place then carefully reamed for a perfect fit.

The door does hang nicely once new bushes and pins are installed though.

Not a job to do singlehanded, even if you completely strip the door, which is bloody heavy without. It's just too easy to damage the paintwork.

100% remove from pins
Disturbing the hinges will cause massive head aches on refit
Will be near on impossible to put back on your own too
Run some gaffa tape down the front of door edge and back of wing edge
Make it a couple layers too plenty of protection
As cafefull as you think you can be if you do slip for the sake of a few mins prep it can be costly
Good luck

Slowly (cos I am not using it on the salty roads) working away at removing the drivers door. Got distracted with the Nokia amp, but that is working now and I just need a small line out pre-amp to boost the signal from the iphone!

Found the main drivers door cable connectors hidden behind the heating duct in the drivers footwell so will push these through into the door. Knocking up a wooden frame to support the door next, then the scary bit - knocking out the hinge pins.

Remove the pins and there will be far less damage.

Hope you get it sorted ready for spring.

That reminds me, don't forget to lube your hinges everyone.
There is a grease port in the middle designed to take a grease gun.

Just pump fresh grease in until it flushes out the old stuff.

Squeeze.tube.guns.png

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back