Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New car, poor tyres?

Re: Tyre makes.

Les Richards said:
Would qwerty911 and b9boy care to care to disclose the make of tyres, please?

Still haven't changed mine but would like to stay clear of a make that might be problematic - or is it just the age of the tyres that's the issue here?

Thanks.

Mine are P Zeros.

Just been out to check and my fronts are week 7 2014 and the tears week 13 2013...

b9boy said:
Just been out to check and my fronts are week 7 2014 and the tears week 13 2013...

I would be expecting something to start to deterioate on 5 yr old tyres but the OP should have recause as hes only just got the car and from an OPC :thumb:

whether the cracks are detromental to the tyres performance is not something I know they may well be fine for everyday use. :thumb:

My P-Zero front tyres are coming up to their 4th birthday. Have exactly the same cracks on the outer edges.

Robertb said:
T8 said:
If they're below 3mm they shouldn't have passed the 111 point inspection for the OPC to be able to put a warranty on it.

I'd definitely be after a contribution to a new front pair.

This. You've paid a premium for OPC peace of mind, they need to fulfil their side of the bargain and not cut corners.

Nail hit firmly on head. Maybe the OPC were rubbing their hands in anticipation of charging an extortionate amount for replacements at next service.

The cracking in the tread groove is a sign Of The rubber ageing, having said that it's superficial as the strength of the tyre comes from the steel/kevlar weave in the carcass not the mm of rubber over it. It's a tyre which still has life in it but may well not perform at it's best as the rubber is starting to be getting on a bit.. You may not notice much performance difference if you swopped out for the exact same tyres but new.

I would be far more concerned about the cracking on the second Posters tyre which is in the tread block, the performance of that tyre is going to be far more compromised and you would definitely notice the difference when you get almost any brand of new rubber on. I wouldnt say either is dangerous, but paying the opc premium I'd expect good rubber on.

Phil 997 said:
b9boy said:

whether the cracks are detromental to the tyres performance is not something I know they may well be fine for everyday use. :thumb:

I noticed the cracking on mine after I looked because I was surprised that the car wouldn't track true under hard acceleration.

It's clear on mine that the car is hampered by old rubber. My Maserati did the same thing when I bought it and a brand new set of P Zeros transformed it so I've been here before...

No doubt the tyres will do the distance but I want to enjoy the car in the meanwhile...

Try the OPC, they should be changing them, and insist on Michelin Pilot Spot 2's if its the OPC doing it. If it isn't, Michelin PS4S are the way to go, nothing else will do. OPC won't put MP4S' on though as they are not N rated, but are fine......

Sadly the problem with PS4s is that they don't make them in 996 sizes, I am considering putting 275/35/18s on mine to replace the current 285/35/18s.

The 35s are obviously non standard (and no use for a C4) but they should give a better ride and the get the speedo to read accurately!

qwerty911 said:
Pirelli P Zeros, but I very much doubt that this is a tyre brand issue.

Au contraire mon ami.

My P zero's were exactly the same, and both of you also have P zero's. They are prone to this apparently.

I've found that Pzeros don't wear well... become very noisy in comparison to other brands, IMHO.

Are Michelin still making PS2s, or is it basically new old stock...?

maldren said:
Sadly the problem with PS4s is that they don't make them in 996 sizes, I am considering putting 275/35/18s on mine to replace the current 285/35/18s.

The 35s are obviously non standard (and no use for a C4) but they should give a better ride and the get the speedo to read accurately!

I've had 275/35x18 PS4 rear tyres on my 2002 c2 for over 8 months and about 5k miles now and love them (std size PS4 on fronts) I had them fitted (at Mid-Fit tyres) whilst the car was at Centre Gravity for refresh and geo work and Chris approved of my choice.

Thanks Peter, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!!!!

Update - The OPC have now sorted this tyre issue to my satisfaction. They are clear that these tyres do pass the Porsche Approved standard, but they concede that they should have been flagged internally for the abnormal wear. They assure me that the car's tracking was checked and passed OK.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back