Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Older Cayenne v8 , am I asking for trouble?

S10lemon

Hi all,

I've sneaked over from the 964 forum, looking for some wisdom

I've just got my 89 911 C4 how I want it, and so I'm now afraid to leave it in train station car parks and so on so I'm looking for something for these duties, I started off thinking 530 estate or something like that but have noticed some sub £10k Cayenne V8.

While I'd love one am I asking for a good kicking about the wallet?

I know they drink fuel but what other vices do they have

Any advice greatly appreciated other than buy a Volvo

I can tell you a whole load of faults that can go wrong but thats only going to scare you and give a negative impression .

There are many good examples out there and if you dont hammer it then okish on the fuel consumption.

Personnely i like Cayennes .

Basically i would like other owners to post who own these .. i can always add the faults to look out for when inspecting them later of via PM if you wish .

If you want something roomy and v8 for under 10k what about an e39 m5.

The first cayenne's are ridiculously good value and even the looks are growing on me..
I like the panameras as well!

I bought a turbo for less than £10k and apart from a few initial niggles (the worst of which was breaking down on the way home from collecting it), I'm very pleased with it.

I looked at non-turbos for a while, but the spec and trim levels are so much nicer in the turbo and the 5 second 0-60 with not much difference in fuel consumption compared with N/A made it a no-brainer. That and I read the natural V8 suffered a lot with bore-scoring while the turbo V8 didn't.

Usual fuel consumption is around 15-17 mpg for me, 20 is possible on the motorway, or driving it differently to the way I do.

The air suspension system is beyond amazing, it truly turns a huge, heavy 4x4 into a sports car when combined with the turbo engine. Very, very clever engineering and of course they're really very capable indeed for off-road/snow/ice duties and towing.

I really fancy one of these for a winter hack/family wagon but have always been scared off by the horror stories of expensive faults .

Are their certain models that are more reliable than others Dermot ?

Not bothered about mpg as it wouldn't get used that much.

I've had a few sub £10k cayenne's and they are a bargain

Air ride is great, especially in all that snow the oTher week

That said standard coil suspension is still great

I've had two 4.5 S , fuel is heavy between 14 to 23 mpg if you're lucky

Some parts are pricey but comes with the territory, make sure tracking is ***** on otherwise they eat tyres.
I'm on toyos now and they are :thumb:

Had the rad water reservoir go, that was a pain.
Gearbox flush, new oil

Usual maintenance

But very comfortable and easy to get carried away with speed. You forget how big it is

Insurance ok.

Heated steering wheel is a great option in the winter

Dont bother with a V6 petrol .. it wont pull the skin off a rice pudding .

S or Turbo .. Turbo will eat petrol .. you drive it hard and single figures for mpg .

Best cayenne so far .. 3.0 diesel .. but i hate diesels .. with a passion so im ashamed to say that .

They can all have problems like any other car .. ive just done a post on Cayennes mentioning but one of the faults .

i can list the faults if needed but im the wrong person to ask .. i only see the bad ones .. well and the services ... so owners need to post .

I can help with most faults on these cars though .

I'm going on record here - The original Cayennes look better than the new ones.

I agree I like the original Cayenne for not looking like anything else.

Petrol for me as well Demort I hate diesel.

For anyone actually going to look at a Turbo with an intent to buy then please contact me first so i can point out a few things to look for .. if your not going the ppi route then take a screwdriver with you as theres a turbo check to do !

I very much doubt a seller will let you do this though !!! .. with the inlet pipes removed you can see if a turbo is on its way out .. oil on one side of the inlet pipe to the throttle houseing .

100k miles and the turbos are getting tired shall we say .

Can prospective Cayenne buyers hire you out for the day, Iain? :lol:

I have had a 4.8 GTS as my daily for circa 6 years / 50k miles.

Nothing, and I mean nothing has gone wrong with it, apart from servicing, every other year, tyres, brake pads and a set of wiper blades it has cost me nothing.

When I get around to changing it it will be for another Cayenne, its a great piece of kit.

I've had a Cayenne S 4.8 (facelift) for about 8 months now and I love it. It needed tailgate struts replacing, but these were done under warranty and look to be an easy DIY fix if needed (videos on youtube). The only other issue I have had is excessive condensation in the headlights. In the end I bit the bullet and shelled out for 2 brand new units (litronics) - not a cheap item, but seemed to be the best way to fix the issue for good.

I have the normal (non-air) suspension on mine and it's fine - car is very comfortable. 4WD worked impressively well in the snow a couple of weeks ago. I managed almost 24mpg the other day on a 200+ mile journey on A and B roads. As someone else noted, it's easy to go too fast if you're not careful - cruise control is very helpful! In my opinion they're a lot of car for the money. I also prefer the looks of the earlier models over the current one.

Go for it.
John

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back