Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake discs...DIY noob?

Cheers for all the advice everyone, much appreciated. Will be having a go tomorrow.

Can anyone advise on torque setting for the caliper bolts?

Update...

Job went well... No hiccups at all. A technically-minded friend helped (a lot). We got the caliper off without needing to remove the pads (which are quite new), just slid it off over the disc, then wound the pads back with a clamp before refitting it over the new disc.

Anti-seize/penetrating oil was an inspired tip... gave the various bits a good squirt the evening before and the fasteners undid with no drama. Didn't even need my new-fandangled impact driver.

Did a front ARB drop link too, so that's three things off the MOT advisories (though the drop link seemed OK, if rather old looking... apparently 'slight play').

Cheers all :thumbs:

Job done nice one.

Learnt stuff whilst you were at it :)

jerzybondov said:
Nice work! How long did the job take in the end?

I reckon 15-20 minutes per side, including time spent cleaning the various bits. Gave the handbrake mechanism a bit of TLC while we were in there.

Wish I'd changed the pads now as although little actual wear, they were quite scored and presumably shaped by the old discs, and not sure to the extent they will wear flat without damaging the new discs. Have ordered some.

The other thing I learned, for future reference, is to give the brake pedal a good pump a few times before venturing out on the road!

It's great to see guys here in the UK doing their own DIY type jobs. For some reason the Americans see to be more brave when it comes to DIY.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back