Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Useful book "996 Torque Book "

Fastlane

Spa-Francorchamps
This looks like a very useful book (edited by Jake Raby, the "Baz Hart" of the US) as it shows all the types of nuts, bolts, screws and other fasteners with diagrams on all 996s (there is one for 997s too) - the 996 forum on Rennlist seem to like it:

996-book.jpg

"Fastener size, grade, assembly position and tightening torque. Lacking this publication, most technicians find themselves looking through pages of workshop manuals to search for fastener torque values that are well hidden; at times they cannot be found at all. This publication makes these fastener torque values quick and easy to find. This book, a reference handbook for the technician, or enthusiast proficient in Porsche repairs, presents illustrations of Porsche 996 subassemblies and their fastener torque values. This directive covers the entire vehicle, including all engines, and transaxles, suspension and sub- assemblies. The format of this book can save the user valuable time on almost every 996 repair task, as each assembly, and sub- assembly is referenced with illustrated parts breakdowns, with each fastener identified, and torque values specified."

It only seems to be available in the US for $60+$34 shipping (c£70) http://www.theknowledgegruppe.com/index.php/product/996-torque-book-fastening-specifications-for-porsche-911-type-996-automobile/[/img]

Anybody bought one/seen it?

I was considering this. I'm obsessed with torque settings when doing stuff, probably from working on motorcycles. I've found that most things are available on line if you type in the item and torque, renntech site if I recall. Shame there is no uk version. The settings in there and on renntech are often lbft rather than nm just to be careful

jond58 said:
I was considering this. I'm obsessed with torque settings when doing stuff, probably from working on motorcycles. I've found that most things are available on line if you type in the item and torque, renntech site if I recall. Shame there is no uk version. The settings in there and on renntech are often lbft rather than nm just to be careful

Seems to be in NM first, then lbft - not surprising given the whole car is metric.
page-181.jpg

It's maybe on the renntech site. They work in lbft in the US. Does the book show fastening details, like dry or with anti seize? This information is required really when using torque values

I didn't think there was a carrera S with 996s :?: .

chriscoates81 said:
I didn't think there was a carrera S with 996s :?: .

Acording to Jake Raby, the author: "The 2005 Launch Edition Carrera S may technically be a 997, but the cars have many 996 characteristics. Though only 337 were made, they are more fitted to the 996 category than the 997. I have one here now that has a hybrid 996/997 interior."

And from Rennlist: "The Launch Edition are identical cars that PCNA had produced for the each dealer (one) and were used to introduce the new model. In 2005 it was Black 997C2S with PCCB's, Full leather, Nav, Bose, SC, and a few other little options."

So there you have it, something I didn't know either.

I bought one a while ago and found it very useful.
I don't have a 996 anymore so if anyone is interested in buying it, PM me.
£30 inc postage?

tbrown said:
£30 inc postage?

PM sent.

tbrown said:
£30 inc postage?

SOLD

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back