Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How To Guide - Retro-Fit Cruise Control

Just completed this job on my 2004 car following Leons great workshop manual and it worked perfectly.
A couple of comments which might help anyone doing the job.
1. The hazard warning switch surround is a b.....d to get out without damage to the surrounding area. I ended up pulling from the inside with a hooked tool, not prising the external flange which could damage the dash. It was tight!!
2. The cruise control indicator light is very dificult to spot in the speedo area when it is not lit up and I was confused by spotting an identical outline at the extreme right of the row of indicator lights below the gauge cluster . There was no bulb below it so I was concerned there would be no indicator light when I had finished.
I actually removed the gauge cluster again to check it out!
It seems that the printed plastic screen along here is common to Boxters as well and just not used here. For info the bulbs are tiny, soldered in things which according to the manual are not replaceable!
Hope this helps anyone doing this job!

Demort said:
Strange , i did a search and found it at design 911 for £199 google shopping .. but click on the link and its £269 ??

Big increase there in a short space of time .

Just done that, too...

Osh

When I got mine done I paid £380 all in for full 4-stalk, all wiring and software enabled and fully tested, also including giving me my old 3-stalk unit back to flog on eBay, which I did for (I think) £80.

Although I do love working on my car, I can't get my head round doing this as a DIY if the unit is £270 & then £30 for enabling the software and then any other costs on wiring harness, etc. :dont know:

Nice one Osh, I'm glad someone had a use for it. I hope it's a good part as like I say it's no connection to myself.
:thumb:

New 4-stalk indicator unit now arrived.

Just need to get over this Ebola-strength Man Flu and i'll give it a go...

Osh

Osh said:
New 4-stalk indicator unit now arrived.

Just need to get over this Ebola-strength Man Flu and i'll give it a go...

Osh

I've been fighting that off quite successfully the last few weeks...dreading the day it beats me!

Let us know how you get on fitting it

Just updated the post with new image links as the photo bucket ones were no longer working.

Thank you, great write up :salut:

This works out at £449 plus VAT for the 4 stalk version.
Using Leon's excellent "how to" and a used stalk I did the job including coding for less than £200 and had all the fun???

Hi Leon

Thanks for the call the other day; I've now got all the parts assembled. Will be doing this over Easter.

I'll let you know how I get on

Osh

Good write up - I can do the coding (and lots of other coding like keys/fobs etc) if anyone needs it done. In Twickenham or Bristol quite regularly.
A few things I'd add are:
-The £20 looms from 'MDB diagnostics' / ebay save a bit of faff with building your own to save a few quid (especially if you're doing a pre-2002). I used one on a boxster (which needed the wires ran to the dme) and it worked well.
-I always put rags under the clocks on the dash when lifting them in/out to prevent any marks on the dash, and use plastic dash removing tools to remove. The dashboards and plastics on these seem to mark so easily!

Pelican parts articles:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...LEC-Cruise_Control/92-ELEC-Cruise_Control.htm
and
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...se_Control/92-ELEC-Working_Cruise_Control.htm
are v helpful.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back