Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie with first Porsche (997.1 C4S) wanting to mod!

jags320i

Hi all,

I picked up my first Porsche Cerrera c4s (high spec) in Basalt Black last week and am already got the itch to upgrade some items on the car:

1) The car's got the 19" lobster claw wheels and I'm looking to run some spacers, read that 15mm on the rear and 7mm on the front is the best setup. Wheres the recommended place the get these from?

2) This has probably been asked a million times but Ipod/Aux/Phone connection to the PCM2?! I've been looking at some cheapo FM transmitters and also the Dynavin double din. What is the general views in getting this setup? I have the Bose Sound System which has the fibre optics and would like to retain the CD shuffle.

3) I do wonder why Porsche didn't include the classic red strop on the deck tail on the Gen 1 997 C4s like in pre and post cars. I came across this lid that is converts the gen 1 to look like the gen 2 lid. I emailed the company asking for pics of it fitted on a gen 1 which they dont have and confirmed that the fitting is 100% as it is a "genuine part". Has anyone got pics of a car having this upgrade or is there an alternative?

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod21310/Rear-bootlid-Upgrade-to-997-Gen2-C4S-Look-for-Porsche-997/

4) Last but not least, rubber floor mats to protect the carpet? I have been searching endlessly and cannot locate RHD OEM rubber floor mats like in the below link. Did Porsche ever make them for the RHD cars? Is it worth considering other Porsche models and cutting them to shape to fit? :eek:

http://986forum.com/forums/a/33801-fs-rubber-floor-mats-987-997-new.html

Any help on any of the above items would be a massive help!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome mate to the modding bug,
To try and answer some of your questions.
Porsche only made rubber mates for LHD cars from what I remember but there are some nice custom fit aftermarket options avail for RHD cars. note when they say BOSE or non BOSE this relates to cabs where the bose sub is located in the PAX footwell not on the parcel shelf , so unless yours is a cab you will want the non bose option :thumb: .

Spacers yes 15mm rear and 7mm front is widely regarded as a good balance
7mm spacers are right on the limit of what you should fit on the front hub without hub spiggots and most 7mm avail are shims only but Porscheshop and a few other places sell 7mm shims with spiggots, Many get away ok fitting just a shim to the front without any wheel wobble and the crabs are the narrower of the OE alloys so should be ok but if you want to be 100% get the 7mm with hub spiggots. theres a recent thread poss in the 996 section with other options on suppliers of spiggoted 7mm shims.

Yes that rear lid with the red stripe will fit yours BUT NOTE THAT THE GEN1 TAIL LIGHTS DONT CURVE UP TO MEET THE RED STRIPE which the gen2 lights do so consider the ethsetics before spending £1500 with vat and also it may be cheaper to find a used gen2 4S engine cover on ebay etc and just use that. as the D911 kit is only the same thing OE gen2 parts.

The options for the PCM2.1 is a bit more in depth and you should consider starting a seperate thread for that as there are many options avail from fitting units that interface with the pcm2.1 ,these work but are a bit clunky as you would imagine old tech trying to work with new tech would be. Many just change out the head unit fit a more modern one that does everything inc mirror link and car play etc. you will need a most optical interface as you have bose. that way you can stream spotify etc or keep an old ipod in the armrest with all you music on and wont need the multi changer. but there is such a huge range of options it needs its own thread where you can get advise from many people just on that subject, personally after trying the clunky interface stuff for several years I fitted an alpine head unit with a navtv most interface. see the pics, ignore the small silver box to the left of the steering wheel that a speed camera detector :grin:

hope some of that helps , and again welcome to the slippery slope of modding and look forward to hearing when your ready to body colour the centre console, change to a gen2 steering wheel, lower the car, fit led rear and DRL lights etc and all of the other things many of us end up getting into. :grin: :thumb:

ps you will get stick of the others on here for posting a modding thread where I could see it and then listening to me help you spend your money :floor: :floor: :floor:

Attachments

• img_0354_115.jpg
    img_0354_115.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 5,054
  • img_1008_114.jpg
    img_1008_114.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 5,054
I'd fit a low temp. thermostat before you do anything.

......and welcome to the forum.

alex yates said:

very sound advise from Alex and at £60 a very affordable mod and consider changing to millers 10w50 NT+ nano oil. and read the reccomended procedures to warm the car up fully under 3000rpm before hooning it etc etc :thumb:

:welcome: to 911 ownership at last.

Hope you enjoy the 997 as much as you did your M3.

Comparison stories and pics of both cars would be great. :thumbs:

Phil 997 said:
alex yates said:

very sound advise from Alex and at £60 a very affordable mod and consider changing to millers 10w50 NT+ nano oil. and read the reccomended procedures to warm the car up fully under 3000rpm before hooning it etc etc :thumb:

Absolutely! That is the first item that I will be doing.

The car was handed over to me by RSJ and Joel took me through the correct process of measuring and topping the oil and how to baby it before getting optimal temp.

Is there a link or a sticky on the forum with further info on this?

jags320i said:
Is there a link or a sticky on the forum with further info on this?

I found this safely tucked away in the 997 FAQ section.

==> Fitting a low temp thermostat to a 997

Sadly, the pics have been decimated by the bleepers at photobucket. :nooo:

Hi and welcome. As others have said get a low temp thermostat (ECP
Or Carparts4less will be some of the cheapest with a discount code) and you might also want to have a look at the group buy discount for a Top Gear exhaust as well. If you go for 200 cel CATS it will be one off your biggest performance gains for the cost.

Good choice on the 4s btw :thumb:

Welcome.

I hope you like detailing, Black is very tricky to keep looking clean. I recommend a ceramic sealant if you're not time rich.

OE front mats are the same size as Boxster ones, but the Boxster part number is cheaper! (I've been told)

:thumb:

Welcome.

I hope you like detailing, Black is very tricky to keep looking clean. I recommend a ceramic sealant if you're not time rich.

OE front mats are the same size as Boxster ones, but the Boxster part number is cheaper! (I've been told)

:thumb:

If it's a manual, get a cheapo short shift kit from ebay (about £30) and get it fitted. It transforms the gear change!

resigner said:
If it's a manual, get a cheapo short shift kit from ebay (about £30) and get it fitted. It transforms the gear change!

agreed, and change the transmission oil to something like Millers performance nano transmision oil and new engine mounts and it changes it up again to another level :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Welcome mate to the modding bug,
To try and answer some of your questions.
Porsche only made rubber mates for LHD cars from what I remember but there are some nice custom fit aftermarket options avail for RHD cars. note when they say BOSE or non BOSE this relates to cabs where the bose sub is located in the PAX footwell not on the parcel shelf , so unless yours is a cab you will want the non bose option :thumb: .

Thank you Phil for the wealth of knowledge, I should be collecting some spacers from a forum member and Porsche buddy next week.

I over came the ipod/bluetooth connection with a nice FM transmitter hidden in the arms rest. My phone connects to it straight away and can have a decnt conversation even though i close the arm rest lid... happy days!

As per the other thread you've got me searching a 2nd hand C4s Gen2 lid and all red turbo lights! :grin: :grin:

LTT is hopefully booked in next week to get fitted, waiting to hear back.

In terms of the after market rubber mats.... any links or pointers to where i should be looking? The ones from ebay and Porsche design look hideous

resigner said:

Its already got the shorter shifter fitted with the x97 gear knob! :)

I really need the weather to improve this week so i can give it some love and share pictures with all.

For now here's some pics of my previous daily driver: High Spec 2002 E46 M3 Full Main Dealer BMW service history, 1 previous owner. I always love a black car and always keep them OEM as possible and minty fresh!

Bye for now! :bye:

Mate you really dont want the X97 gear knob let me relieve you of that hidious thing , I have a turbo knob in the garage that would suit you so much better :floor: :floor: :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back