Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New UK laws for 2018(motoring)

wizard993

Donnington
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/motoring/new-laws-drivers-coming-2018-14337749

if ever there was proof needed on how quickly diesel motoring is going to become the anti-christ and diesel cars forced off the road, then it starts in 2018

Meanwhile all the empty old buses driving around will still be allowed to heavily pollute our cities for many years to come.

Some medium and big diesel cars are also going to get absolutely hammered in terms of duty but where is all that extra duty dough going as the potholes are getting deeper and increasing in volume :?:

Drivers of diesels are now sitting ducks for the dept of transport to fill its coffers

Not sure its a good idea to let leaners near a motorway even if they are in a dual-control vehicle.

To be honest , most of these don't look too bad really ....

I really don't agree with hammering diesel fuel cars per se ..... Or even less the way the diesel fuel price is hiked at the pump( or at any poin5 in the supply chain!)
The governments of the day pushed diesel as a viable option many years ago to get the motorist buying them.....then do a backflip when they think it suits them .....
Most of these ministers haven't got a clue about the tech anyway and talk through a hole in their ar5e.......

This latest proclamation that all diesel and petrol cars will be off the road by 2040 ....what drivel .....there is no / will not be any chance of having the correct infrastructure to demand this .....
But it doesn't stop them jumping on the ' tax the motorist ' bandwagon....any excuse to create a tax ....and we all do nothing about it ....

We should do what the French do ..... everyone stop all non essential driving for a month ......it will interfere with their revenue take and that's when it hurts them .... more of this should be carried out ....we need teeth!! It's time ...there are enough motorists to make them sit up and take notice .....!

Well, the bit that most explains the diesel changes are this bit:

"The changes apply to those vehicles that do not meet the Euro 6 engine requirements under the new Real Driving Emissions (RDE).

There is no new diesel car on sale that meets the standard, so they will currently all be subject to a tax increase."

For clarity, the NOX/particulate requirements that Euro 6 equates to are broadly the same levels as a Euro 4 petrol (which became a requirement ~12 years ago and before the manufacturers started gaming the emissions tests {i.e. before there were tax structures which provided the incentive for them to get into that with significantly high punitive tax steps for high emission vehicless}). It does somewhat quantify the extent to which firstly the manufacturers have been fiddling the tests and secondly how even the latest diesels are still not actually that clean.

This is most certainly necessary (as having the air where people live and work being in a healthily breathable state trumps any planet-saving agenda), and the things to blame are the Europe-wide crusade against CO2 since the turn of the millennium (a ludicrous folly as Europe is not a large enough part of the global CO2 situation to materially impact the global effect of it) and the car manufacturers fiddling the tests.

Hmm...is this in fact the case ...

'There is no new diesel car on sale that meets the standard, so they will currently all be subject to a tax increase."

If that's a fact then that is the death knell alone......

I watched a 'Panorama" type programme a while back on the subject of Nox levels in cities and our towns ....The Governments chief scientist ( now retired/ pensioned off) was on and made a real hash of explaining the governments knowledge of facts known at the time ...they also presented 'special film footage" that demonstrated the extensive Nox levels being emitted from cars while being driven through town areas ...but the film was actually infrared as the bodies in the cars and walking along the roads were 'emitting" as much Nox as the cars exhaust !!

How can the average motorist believe any 'facts" as presented ... my diesel 'zuffenhausen tractor"doesn't smell of anything really apart from really early on a below zero frosty morning when the egr valves are functioning!

I like the torque though ......

Taxed whichever way we turn .....

I blame the blinkered EU for chasing the CO2 emmissions, not the Nox, and the green lobby for doing the same. Next I blame the then new labour government for buying the whole thing and changing the vehicles companies were buying via tax. The same is happening the EV's now. I do feel for those who bought diesels in good faith, and are finding their cars harder to sell on now the wind has changed direction on fuel type. I wonder where it will all end up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back