Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT2 Rev Range

996ttalot said:
On a 996 turbo engine trust me - if someone does a money shift it is pretty obvious and normally is instant failure or within an hour of driving. Porsche say 200 hours - that is just playing safe from warranty perspective. 50 miles or one hour of running you would know generally...

...50 hours would be plenty of time for a problem to show itself.

Ken
I agree, This is what I'd been told from various sources; JZM, RPM, 911v too, as well as Mike at Sports & Classic.

My previous car, which was sold to be by the dealer as "original" had, unbeknownst to me, been mapped. part of the mapping allowed it to rev just past the normal limit and, therefore, into "range 2".

This was only uncovered during service work by Sports & Classic - they were seeing the count go up and wondered what on earth was going on. I eventually had is properly (re) re-mapped by Chip Wizards to prevent the issue.

It was a nuisance, because I could not sell the car when I wanted to, until the 50hrs passed, but I did at least know, for sure, there was no damage because there most definitely were not any fudged shifts.

The adoption of further rev-range monitoring on the 997 generation was a definite plus IMHO.

996.2 Gt3 strange over rev data

Hi all

Looking at purchasing 996.2 Gt3, the rev report says
rev range 1, 651/696.3h
rev range 2, 2099/128h
Total hours 740.

How is this possible as revs have to go through rev range 1 to get to 2 then back through 1 again, surely rev range 1 should be higher.

I'm new to this, does anybody know why?

TIA

O'Neill, I've merged your post with another Rev Range topic that covered this point, which should give you an understanding of this

These engines can take a fair bit of abuse without any worry's but like everything if you push and push too much something is going to give.

If it sounds sweet and does not smoke it's probably fine as they can also do leggy miles before needing a rebuild.

I know someone who got his knickers in a twist about a 996 GT3 RS a while back because of the range figures. He missed out on a gem of a car that I know for a fact has gone on the do the best part of 22k miles since, in the hands of someone else and it's never missed a beat.

Not sure about the 991 and later engines as they seem to be a tad fragile outside of the limits.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back