Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Starting up

Mike74

Hi guys,

I've recently obtained a 2007 997 Targa 4 manual, and it's got this intermittent issue on starting up. What happens is; foot on clutch, foot on brake, turn key, nothing but strange electronic buzzes and clicks. Repeat 4-5 times, and then the engine spring to life.

Doesn't happen all the time, just periodically. Had the car under snow for two days, and fired up immediately, but then later the same day, took 4-5 attempts to get it going.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Cheers!

It sounds like your battery is on the way out. You may want to change it before it fails completely. They don't give much warning.

Likewise I would say battery.
My Fiesta did the same

Are terminals secured?

I find it a little curious that for several attempts its like a flat battery but then spins over and starts the car .

Get the battery checked but im leaning towards a possible ignition lock or more likely the power distributor pin being corroded .

If it is that then its really a garage job but if you want to check then ..

Disconnect negative battery lead , undo battery clamp and slide the battery over to the o/s .

Follow the positive lead down to where it connects , the pin is under that , push the red tab downwards about 4 mm and the lead should slide back a bit to reveal the pin .

Dont pull it all the way off but just enough to see if its corroded .

Alternatively when the car wont start then wiggle that lead a bit and try and restart .

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=power+dist

If you mean you just get a click from the engine each time you turn the key then its probably the startermotor .

I had a similar problem a while ago on an BMW M3 and it turned out to be the ignition switch. If you turn the key and nothing happens , hold it over and wait to see if starts. The current can take a few seconds to jump across worn contactors.

Mike, as Demort and others say, the 997 does have an issue seen it often reported with the ignition lock the symptoms are just as you describe . that would be where my £5 is on :thumb: The gen2 has a similar issue but that on a micro switch under the clutch they did have a campaign at the OPC to fix the 997.2 issue but not the gen1 issue . :thumb:

Faulty clutch switch (needs to be fully depressed for engine to start).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back