Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone done a DIY cab roof install?

Alex

My cabriolet roof is getting rather mullered round the rear window so I'm currently weighing up my options. I reckon with a bit of haggling I can get a decent local company to fit a new soft top for me for under a grand, worse case scenario under £1500. I can also get my hands on a brand new top delivered for under £400 and don't mind fitting it myself. I've read some right horror stories in the past (usually on the US sites) about DIY bodge soft top installs, but I've recently seen one fitted off a geezer who didn't have a clue what he was doing (self-confessed) and the finished article looks awesome. He reckons it's doable to a novice over a weekend, just a lengthy process.

Just wondered if anyone on here had ever had a go or if they know where I can get my mitts on a 'how-to'?

Interesting will be watching this

I know. That's the geezer I'm talking about. Didn't want to mention his name without his permission.

Quality job though :thumbs:

steve1 said:
Interesting will be watching this
+1

Always found, Read about it, then take your time doing the job, saves you ££££s, you know its been done to the best of your ability and I get a buzz out of it.

996 cab. Pick up next week all being well.

alex yates said:
I know. That's the geezer I'm talking about. Didn't want to mention his name without his permission.

Quality job though :thumbs:

Andrew's a nice bloke, I'm sure if you ask him he can probably send you a step-by-step laid out in photos since he has several hundred (probably thousand by now) pics of his car :eek: :floor:

I asked hin if he did a write up and he hadn't. Will quiz him more though if I do it.

:stay: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Osh

Body external from here and you want 61 28 55 for the instructions ..

Take a lot of pictures of the interior corners before you start .

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

All screws you take out then push them into cardboard so that they go back in the same positions as they came out ..

With the aftermarket roofs then you dont normally get a fixing kit .. basically new seals / foam .. you have to make dam sure it seals well on the frames .. or buy an umbrella !

After installation it WILL be like a bow string .. you have to help it close then leave it shut for a good few days if not weeks to stretch .

Iain - you LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you kind sir for pointing me in the right direction. Have you ever done one? If so, did you f**k it up or is it simple enough?

Well ...

Ive not done one in a while .. its a bit daunting but as long as your methodical , dont mix up the bits that come off and take pictures as you go then you should be fine .

I cant emphasize enough the importance of pictures as you take it appart though .

Pm as well for you :D

Just paid the import duty on my new soft top so should be getting delivered tomorrow. As yet stands me at £412. Sh**ting myself about fitting it and hope it doesn't turn out like an octogenarian's ball sack.

They tend to be too tight rather than too loose .. not uncommon to have to force it closed and leave it that way for a few weeks untill it stretches a bit.

looking forward to the write up ... no pressure :D

Photos .. ill say it again .. photo everything .. i do !

I'm still flumaxed about splitting the headliner from round the rear window. It's like one continuos zip all the way round. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back