Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa 4S GEN2 and Ducktail & PDK paddle steering

Demort said:
My guess would be its to do with the rear Targa hatch .. perhaps the glass hatch would foul a ducktail when opened .. or maybe you just wouldnt be able to get into the hatch .. not sure but thats my guess .

I would agree exactly that from Demort.

Then again , maybe its just not right to do that to the Targa , as beautiful as it is .....

911TEL said:
Demort said:
My guess would be its to do with the rear Targa hatch .. perhaps the glass hatch would foul a ducktail when opened .. or maybe you just wouldnt be able to get into the hatch .. not sure but thats my guess .

Then again , maybe its just not right to do that to the Targa , as beautiful as it is .....

I agree you never see the ducktails on a targa but its so beautiful espeically the sport classic one that design 911 sell....but at the end of the day the targa is a carrera shape so could look good still

badbox said:
911TEL said:
Demort said:

I agree you never see the ducktails on a targa but its so beautiful espeically the sport callsic one that design 911 sell....but at the end of teh day the targa is a carrera shape so could look good still

You have a point , might be interesting to see...... some more measurements required then .. :wink:

Phils modded back end ( The car ) looks pretty good on his car , makes a case for modifying ....

Design 911 are confident it will fit as if you look at the sport classic on a gen 2 theres alot of dead space under the tail.the taol finsihes above the top of the rear lights an dthe re strip from 4S gen 2 onlyraises about a 1/3 up from bottom of the lights

should be fine...

Re: 997.2 Ducktail

systech1 said:
Have just trial fit a Flying Ducktail out of Taiwan prior to painting in body colour. As the name suggests it replaces the top part of the current lifting spoiler on the 997.2 and lifts at speed (or could be disabled using PIWIS etc).

I quite like the slightly smaller, more subtle look and the old school 2.7 RS style vent and am also fitting a mesh grill underneath.

Also made of carbon fibre so light and strong and significantly cheaper than the RPM unit.

Details can be seen here ... https://flyingducktail.com/ but pays to ring the owner Steve Chou and you may be able to negotiate a better price.

The tolerance on some of the mounting holes is not perfect and may require a bit of fettling as I'm doing but overall very happy with the ducktail (See photo of spoiler still in primer. Will post some photos once properly fitted and painted).

I have read a bit about the flying ducktail they do look like a nice option , make sure you post pics when its painted and finished pics of both open and closed please :thumb: :thumb:

Re: 997.2 Ducktail

Phil 997 said:
systech1 said:
Have just trial fit a Flying Ducktail out of Taiwan prior to painting in body colour. As the name suggests it replaces the top part of the current lifting spoiler on the 997.2 and lifts at speed (or could be disabled using PIWIS etc).

I quite like the slightly smaller, more subtle look and the old school 2.7 RS style vent and am also fitting a mesh grill underneath.

Also made of carbon fibre so light and strong and significantly cheaper than the RPM unit.

Details can be seen here ... https://flyingducktail.com/ but pays to ring the owner Steve Chou and you may be able to negotiate a better price.

The tolerance on some of the mounting holes is not perfect and may require a bit of fettling as I'm doing but overall very happy with the ducktail (See photo of spoiler still in primer. Will post some photos once properly fitted and painted).

I have read a bit about the flying ducktail they do look like a nice option , make sure you post pics when its painted and finished pics of both open and closed please :thumb: :thumb:

Got the flying ducktail painted and have now re-installed. And I have to say it now fits well (after a little fettling of mounting hole locations) and looks pretty cool methinks. The attraction for me is that it is a little more subtle in the normal position than some other ducktails out there and uses a retro 2.7 RS style grill which in matt black suits the Basalt Black paintwork. The original spoiler top can also be re-installed ver easily if required. One surprise was that the supplier provides a third brake light (I had assumed that I could re-use the standard) but clearly the mounting arrangements in the spoiler for the original brake light were more difficult to incorporate than supplying a separate brake light.

I will re-assess whether to disable the spoiler lifting mechanism or install a front lip to balance the extra downforce at speed when the spoiler is in the lifted position....after me next track day in April. Oh..and have attached some photos as requested.

BTW, I have forged a relationship with the supplier and may be able to supply these at a preferential price if anyone wants one
:D

Attachments

• img_3886_lr_179.jpg
    img_3886_lr_179.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 3,751
  • img_3884_lr_165.jpg
    img_3884_lr_165.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 3,751
  • img_3883_lr_864.jpg
    img_3883_lr_864.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 3,751
  • img_3880_lr_162.jpg
    img_3880_lr_162.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 3,751
  • img_3879_lr_356.jpg
    img_3879_lr_356.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 3,751
  • img_3881_lr_180.jpg
    img_3881_lr_180.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 3,751
  • img_3887_lr_466.jpg
    img_3887_lr_466.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 3,751
Looks great, I've had this design in my head for my Targa for years but never found anything online similar, I was looking to buy a 964 ducktail and modify it to fit in the spoiler aperture. I think the ducktail is the only rear spoiler that actually suits the Targa's lines, I've seen aero spoilers on Targa's and they somehow don't look right.

Just checked the price, fairly expensive for something that needs adjusting to fit and is only replacing the spoiler section, I would be happy with a fibreglass version as I would also be painting body colour.

Back to the original question, I can't see any reason that you can't fit a ducktail spoiler to a 996 or 997 Targa, nothing on the roof would foul and there are no workings behind the engine lid you would need to get to.

That flying ducktail looks great and I like the grille its quite retro but also a bit 991.2 :thumb: :thumb:

How does it look from the side when it is up :dont know:

If you have trouble getting it up then not to worry :grin:

:thumb:

Phil 997 said:
That flying ducktail looks great and I like the grille its quite retro

but also a bit 991.2 :thumb: :thumb:

Mr. A Pedant agrees with the first part above but points out that the second part should read 991.1. :wink:

Nice job systech1 :thumb:

T8 said:
Phil 997 said:
That flying ducktail looks great and I like the grille its quite retro

but also a bit 991.2 :thumb: :thumb:

Mr. A Pedant agrees with the first part above but points out that the second part should read 991.1. :wink:

Nice job systech1 :thumb:

:floor: :floor: your right Mr A Pedant too many times writing 997.2 has this effect on an old git :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Hi, that's going to create some serious downforce at speed if allowed to deploy, I'd be inclined to prevent the raise function.

Looks great BTW (when not raised)

Phil 997 said:
badbox said:
thank you, have you any pics of your duck tail. so you just fitted it and removed the red strip as if it was a gen one 4S without. I would want to try to keep the red strip if possible

Mine isnt a ducktail its an RS wing although the underside bit is similar to a ducktail, I am not sure you could keep the red strip without some serious fabrication :thumb:

Phillip, Is that a genuine RS wing/decklid?

I keep on the lookout for alternatives, but the fit quality always bugs me...

neil_911 said:
Phil 997 said:
badbox said:
thank you, have you any pics of your duck tail. so you just fitted it and removed the red strip as if it was a gen one 4S without. I would want to try to keep the red strip if possible

Mine isnt a ducktail its an RS wing although the underside bit is similar to a ducktail, I am not sure you could keep the red strip without some serious fabrication :thumb:

Phillip, Is that a genuine RS wing/decklid?

I keep on the lookout for alternatives, but the fit quality always bugs me...

No its not Neil, everything else is OE but the problem with the OE RS wing is the fan and airduct locations are wrong plus the 12k price tag , this one is CF and light and made for use with the Carreras airbox . your right on the fit and needs tweaking to get it right , even now I am not happy with the uprights they are too thin and not nicely rounded on the edges like the OE ones , So I have an engineering company custom making me uprights to an exact fit for the car.
The biggest shock was the nuts that come with the wing are std nuts , unlike the domed OE ones, so I asked the OPC how much for the 14 nuts for the RS wing £160 :eek: :eek: I said to the guy No I want the regular ones not the solid gold ones my name doesnt start the Sheik :grin: :grin:

I think this is my favorite pic of a ducktail , forum member kingston brought an RPM carbon one but was loathed to hide all the carbon so he came up with this , check out the carbon round in intakes and the GT3 . amazing what a good sprayer can do. :thumb:

Attachments

• untitled_494_149.jpg
    untitled_494_149.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 3,585

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back