Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

McLaren 570

Hi Matt, I was there also yesterday, i was on the AM sesson and also did 182mph on the straight :D... Quote of the day for me though was my instructor asking if I could keep the speed to below 130mph on the ring circuit as i started to edge over 140mph, whoops :D :D

I have to admit, the next step for me is likely to be a Mclaren, the slalom comparism course with the 911 turbo and the 570s was certainly eye opening. The final passenger drive with the pro, OMG, it's like a go kart, i can never see my 911 responding like that on a track, even in a pro's hands...

AdeD said:
I have to admit, the next step for me is likely to be a Mclaren, the slalom comparism course with the 911 turbo and the 570s was certainly eye opening. The final passenger drive with the pro, OMG, it's like a go kart, i can never see my 911 responding like that on a track, even in a pro's hands...

I loved the way they said "this isn't a comparison" maybe it was a chance to side by side differentiate the two.. or as it's better known - a comparison. I do think they are completely different cars and purposes. The 911t is a super car that does every very well where as the McLaren is very focused on performance.

Talking to one guy who has a GT3 RS (991) and a McLaren 540c and asked him which would go first and he didn't hesitate to say the 540c. Maybe a comparison between a GT3 RS and 570 would have been better.

I've driven a few McLarens and on owning my second - a 650s Spyder.

They are far more of an event than a 911, the carbon tub, doors, whole mid engine thing.

Performance wise I'm sure there is not much between a 911 Turbo S and 570s
However in terms of impact and woh factor the mcalren is miles ahead.

When I was a young lad (in the 80s) a 911 turbo was the poster car - to compare with a Lambo and Ferrari- even though its capability has continued to rise it no longer holds that position. Now held by the CGT and 918.

The only 911 Porsche i'd swap my 650s for is a 997.2 GT3 RS, a car that cost about £120k less when new than the 650s, kind of says it all.

I hired a 570s for a few days to get some real world experience with a view to purchasing one. It got far more attention and was more of an event than any Porsche, inc gt3 rs. Great experience. Compared to the silly overs of GT3 RS etc they are a bargain.

What ultimately put me off was the running costs (warranty and depreciation) and the niggles with build quality. Ok the one I drove had no doubt had a tough life but there were issues you wouldn't expect to see on a 150k car that's done under 20k miles.

And speaking to owners they seem to be a very hard car to sell. Main dealers arent interested.

I've driven a 650 round Spa for a day, and had various test drives in 650's and 570's but as much as I try, I just can't gel with them...

First off the brake feel is awful in them, great on track, but too 'dead' for general road pootling imo.. Then the cabin quality and infotainment systems are just average imo, and finally they just feel a bit too plastic for my liking..

Add in they'll cost 2-3 times what my Porsche costs, for no more real world performance!

Add the other look at me issues, such as would you leave it parked overnight in a city street, and get any sleep? Mind you I'm having the same issues with Ferrari and Lamborghini, so my OCD would mean that it would have to be securely parked..

So perhaps supercars are not for me.. :?

Mind you, put a deposit down for a new Z4M or whatever it'll be called... lol..

Yes and if the 720s is 1/2 sec slower than a P1 then it's as fast as a La Ferrari or a 918. Loved the trick dashboard :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back