Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

R8 4.2 anyone else had one?

jonttt said:
ChrisT70 said:
I would add tho that for real world driving on the Derbyshire roads I thrash round the R8 is better than the 993 was as a package and I don't think a 911 turbo would be any faster having driven both on the same roads. No lag, instant torque and stand up brakes. You don't drive with the back end sliding out there :)

depends on what your definition of "better" is. In most subjective ways of course it is, but in other ways not. I driven much faster / better handling cars on country roads and not had as much fun as the 993, size is a big part of that. Every car is different and I've tried / driven most so I encourage anyone to own / drive as many cars as you can :thumb:
Fair point about trying loads of cars. The R8 must be my 40th or so.

My mr2 roadster on coil overs is fun on Derbyshire lanes, despite having 130bhp max probably.
:thumb:

ChrisT70 said:
DeathStar said:
jonttt said:
I don't blame anyone for trying one but don't know anyone who kept one. They scratch an itch and thats about it. We had two of the first in the country when they first came out, flipped one in a week for a healthy markup and the other after a month above list but never had the desire to own personally.

Try scratching a 981 itch, I've been blown away by them. Cayman would be more fun to own / drive than an R8 hardtop and look just as good IMHO. I've had more positive attention than the R8 which is surprising.

Another good call; the 981's certainly look fantastic ... again I wonder about living with the power drop though ... but then again I do fancy a change from a forced-induction motor :?

If I could stretch to a V10 R8 then my mind would be made up (never had a V10, but drove the R8 V10 Spyder at an Audi promo day at Millbrook proving ground a few years back and it was great; the noise was sublime!)

:thumbs:

Yes depending on your budget a v10 would be nice, 500bhp or 600bhp depending on price etc. i'd certainly consider one. Drop me a pm anytime anyway. The car will be at the Silverstone Classic this summer with a few other R8 owners too.

Cool - I live not far from Silverstone; what day(s) will you be there? ... I'll pop along and say 'hi' :thumb:

I did the same. Here's mine. Had it for just over a month and have loved every single drive 1500 miles so far. :thumbs:

Attachments

• img_6262_209.jpg
    img_6262_209.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 7,929
ChrisT70 said:
Nice one. Spec?

Hi chris,
Daytona Grey
2009 V8 R Tronic
Mag Ride
Carbon Pack
Carbon blades
Extended leather
Phone prep
£3k pf prep before I picked up
Custom alloys
Rose gold callipers

£15k in total i think but the only thing missing was B&O
:sad:

V nice. Are they HRE alloys?
Mini R8 meet at Silverstone classic if you fancy it later in summer?

The B&O stereo in mine has been upgraded with another amp and sub behind the seats, I'm not the works biggest audiophile but it is stunning sounding. I'm looking forward to a full day out in mine on Sunday. :thumb:

Thanks Chris!

Heading to a wedding in the countryside today so hoping for a good run!

I'd love to drive one, a little out my budget unfortunately :(

Jay. said:
I'd love to drive one, a little out my budget unfortunately :(
Your can pick up lower spec or higher mileage cars from £40k or so now. 50 ish is about where the really nice ones are at then sky's your limit upto £137k for the new V10+

There was a new V10 convertible at Preston Supercars on Sunday, white/black trim with red interior. It did look pretty cool and the new active display brings it up to date :thumb:

I have had the R8 V8 manual for more than a year. It has a Milltek exhaust; the sound is intoxicating. Amazing car to drive; lots of attention though.
Precise and sharp handling.

Attachments

• img_1626_144.png
    img_1626_144.png
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 5,849
arifg said:
I have had the R8 V8 manual for more than a year. It has a Milltek exhaust; the sound is intoxicating. Amazing car to drive; lots of attention though.
Precise and sharp handling.

I've enjoyed mine too last year. A decent exhaust makes all the difference.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back