Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speed advisory signs on motorways - ridiculous speed

hornet

Monza
I've just been to Canterbury along the M2 and saw the lowest speed warning I've ever seen. On an virtually empty 3 lane stretch of motorway several signs indicated 20 mph so all traffic slowed down to probably 50 (oops) then they went to 30 then 50 then if I remember back to 30 before the final "End" sign. There were no incidents - weather was good so I do wonder if it was a slip of a controller finger.

I appreciate there could have been an earlier incident but a 20 mph limit would probably mean a serious incident which evidence would heve been visible. I can see why people ignore these signs to a large extent which is a shame as having been stranded on the side of the M25 once its pretty frighting to feel the traffic whiz past at speed. With all the cameras on motorways I would have thought that if there was an incident the operator would have seen it and cleared the signs. Rant over!

Given just how many accidents there have been on the apparently clear M20 today I can understand the speed limit.

BLACK ICE is the issue. All morning I witnessed the drizzle adding more and more ice to any surfaces not covered in snow. Since then we've had 2" of snow on top it this afternoon and it's treacherous out there.

Came back from Leeds on M62 smart motorway last Sunday morning, clear blue sky 3 clear lanes 40MPH Knob Heads
We all had to slow to that or face penaltys virtually all cars slowed, the way of things to come ime afraid. :pc:

It is the other way round that hacks me off. Stationary on M1 under a gantry saying max speed 40 mph. I wish! There for over an hour.

From experience these smart motorways are pretty dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back