Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Martin996RSR said:
Hi Richard, Have you considered raising the centre console to bring the gear stick closer to the wheel?
It's not something I'd considered Martin, this project is more aimed towards road driving rather than ultimate track attack ;)

maldren said:
Great colour match with the Nürburgring entrance..........
Mike
They must have copied me Mike :grin:

NLW73 said:
great work as ever rich and what a massive weight saving on that battery. that is huge!!
Thanks Nick ;) I couldn't resist swapping out the previous lightweight one when I saw another -5kg was on offer ;)

coullstar said:
Whats involved in the TUV? Is it essentially the german MOT on the car as a whole or are you getting the new items TUV approved? + underdrive pulley question.

A normal TUV is the same as a UK MOT pretty much, only every 2 year. My car however needs the equivalent of an SVA in the UK, as every modification in Germany has to be approved. This process is very tricky and expensive. Take the Fuchs wheels for instance, they have a 56page technical TUV report. To get my own designed parts through TUV means all the specific material conformity data, load bearing, application suitability... has to be analysed then approved by a state registered TUV engineer. There are also multiple other issue such as each Federal state has different rules; so take Hessen for instance, pretty much nothing is allowed. Bayern or Rheinlandpfalz (where I live for instance) are a little less stringent but still it is a whole order of magnitude more complex than an SVA in the UK.

Regarding the underdrive pulley with no aircon here is the belt you need. Regarding Martin's point about waterpump speed etc; for me there is a slight risk, I have tried to mitigate this by doing many different things:

-Improved airflow through radiators (In my case I have also only 1x Rad fan as per the GT3RS, but I also modified the way the airflow travels through the front of the car.
-Reduced heat soak effect in engine bay (no AC pump or PAS pump). This also enables more airflow around engine.
-LTT 71.C + new water pump

Where I live there is virtually no travel and I only drive the car for fun so I'm not facing typical stop-start antics.

Thanks, Im involved in design reviews at work so it sounds like that. Do you have to provide material certs etc as well?

I'm keen to do the AC delete with the pump and maybe condenser removal to help with cooling as I would like to do some track days. I'd also like it easy enough to reinstate if required.

I had problems with my A/C when I bought my car, it seemed impossibly hot in the summer. With the windows down (no sunroof), it was ok on the move but awful in traffic. Try it before making the change.

Not that many years ago, none of our cars had A/C and I've driven across Spain in the summer without it (or even a sun roof). I've definitely got softer as well as older!

I can't believe it.
CLR has been approved by the Rheinland Federal TUV Approval board. I have just been contacted just this second with this news that my CLR prototype 996 has been accepted and certified. So I thought, as I have dragged you guys along from the start, that you'll be the first to know. I really can't get over what this means. Right now I can only say it feels like I have just had a car accident that I should have died in and I have walked away without a scratch. I'm physically shaking!

To get your own technical designs approved in Germany is not something I ever thought would happen, especially so with no formal background in vehicle design. The last few years have been battles everyday; not just the technical side but family, financial, time and all the other things associated with a project of this nature. To think that the design drawings I've been doing on the dining room table at 02:00hrs in the morning for system designs that had perhaps failed 4 times previously or lying on the garage floor in -10.C battling ideas that seemed impossible... It just seems surreal that the moment has come. In off for a stiff one or six!

Thank you all for the support :worship:

:bow: :goodjob:

Epic news Richard!

Mega happy for you. What a result!! :thumb:

Richard,

I have followed you on here, on Pistonheads and in magazines and I have to say you are an inspiration. :worship:

I am in no doubt that your work, in demonstrating the potential of the M96 engine and 996 platform, has further driven the renewed interest in the 996.

Here's to your successful future!:thumb:

Very well done.

Cheers,

Tim. :viking:

Great news Richard 👍
See you at Traben in April and buy you a beer.
Paul

Fastlane said:
Richard,

I have followed you on here, on Pistonheads and in magazines and I have to say you are an inspiration. :worship:

I am in no doubt that your work, in demonstrating the potential of the M96 engine and 996 platform, has further driven the renewed interest in the 996.

Here's to your successful future!:thumb:

Very well done.

Cheers,

Tim. :viking:

Tim, please forgive me for singling out your post. I feel obliged to reply as your sentiment has struck a nerve. Now I'm already 2.5glasses of Vino rouge to the worse (better some may say) right now, so grammar and expression will have to be forgiven!
I have unfathomable belief in the 996 platform; as to take it this far calls into question my sanity. So although your words suggest I may have been inspirational and I am truly honoured to hear this, the 996 is the real true star. It has long been seen as the ugly duckling and unwanted one, but I have absolute belief and passion in what it stands for. 30years down the line, the purity and uniqueness that is the 'ugly one' will be really understood. If I in any way go to help it reach its true destined status, then so be it. Even Porsche themselves have shunned it.

I raise a glass to the 996 and all challenges it has presented in getting CLR to where it is right now :viking:

Fantastic news. :congrats: Richard.

I can't believe it's nearly 2.5 years since the project commenced and that I was the last 911uk member to see the original car before you started in earnest.

It was a nice car then.

I wonder how long it would take to return it to stock. :?:

ELA said:
Thank you all for the support :worship:

Thank you for the inspiration. Well done Richard, you deserve all the success this will bring you :salut:

Truly amazing work on this and head and shoulders above anything else that has been attempted. :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back