Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche ends all diesel car production from line up

TBH, I don't have much sympathy as there are plenty of other manufacturers that will continue to build 'oil burners' such as their 'cousins' - I fully remember a big group of us (all those years ago!) at the factory being surprised/disappointed that Porsche would put them into production (despite WW's reassurance to the contrary). Who knows - maybe it will even improve Porsche's reputation in some ways by returning it to a sports/sporty car manufacturer? :puh:

I'll stick with my much loved X5 4.8iS as a winter beater thank you :D :bandit:

Its all mad. A modern non-cheaty diesel will produce no more NOX than a petrol car, and less CO2 and are excellent power plants for big cars like Panamera etc.

People are being hoodwinked by the hybrids with their nonsensical average fuel consumption data, as Jonttt says, in the real world they get nothing like claimed. Not covert cheating like the manufacturers did, but equally misleading to consumers.

A plug in hybrid's fuel consumption/emissions should also include equivalent fuel used in the charging process.

How can it be more economical/green to have a car with not only a petrol engine, but also a load of batteries and motors to lug about?

Phil 997 said:
My main gripe is not with Porsche stopping sales of diesel but that we have heard nothing from the government about how sorry they are

Erm - why would the current government apologise for Gordon Brown, an EU fixation on CO2 emissions to the avoidance of all else and car manufacturers gaming the system that they created for over a decade? There is no way that they are going to carry the can for something for which they can so legitimately and comprehensively blame someone else.

The thing that really gets my goat are the people who claim that they thought that diesel was in some way clean though. Across the Atlantic is a country that loves the kind of trucks for which diesel is in theory ideally suited, yet due to horrific smog issues in its past has long had seriously militant emissions laws (especially in densely populated areas) which prevented the devils fuel from ever taking significant hold of consumer vehicles. It was as soon as diesel showed any sign of being noticed by the mainstream that the fact that manufacturers had been fiddling the tests was discovered and blew up globally. Nobody could legitimately claim surprise while at the same time claiming to know anything about cars. That recent diesels have to have a tank filled with urea to inject into the exhaust to fiddle the emissions enough to meet requirements was in itself a pretty conspicuous clue.

As for Porsche - the extent to which there is a genuine case for a diesel Porsche basically boils down to how many Cayenne buyers tick the tow bar box on the options list. Which unsurprisingly doesn't seem to be many. :roll:

Phil 997 said:
Any one want to buy a diesel full fat Range Rover going cheap :sad:

Lol, sold mine in October and jumped into a BMW PHEV :grin:

Porsche News said:
jonttt said:
Phil 997 said:
My main gripe is not with Porsche stopping sales of diesel but that we have heard nothing from the government about how sorry they are for manipulating diesel sales in the UK to such a huge extent that we have so many on the roads and now they are banning them for certain cities and it wont be long before diesel drivers will viewed like smokers are . :nooo: :nooo:

This, it was shocking at the time, and just as shocking now. The company car tax break incentives never ever made any sense :nooo:

They are still at it now, I drive a PHEV with a BIK of 9% and so pay very little tax on a car which 'officially" does 135mpg. In the real world I hardly ever plug it in, it self charges enough to give it a power boost when I need it and I'm averaging 32mpg over the first 5k miles, but at least its got a petrol engine in there :roll:

So even hybrid tech results are being easily manipulated to fit the tax system. But governments and car manufacturers have been in each other's pockets for decades.

Porsches announcement and it shockingly quick timing smacks of a 'deal" done with the power that be rather than a more public and costly shaming for data manipulation :nooo:

The success of the Cayenne and Macan Diesels brought the brand into the mass market, after all the best selling Porsche was the Cayenne Diesel for IIRC 5 years in a row.

The issue with the battery technology is that beyond 10 years or 100,000 miles, What happens when it degrades and needs replacement ?

These battery systems are upwards to £20k and cant be repaired as there is no after-market battery market :dont know:

The biggest barrier is not fears over life expectancy but ability to even run one ie c60% of the car driving population does not have off road parking :eek:

I can't remember the exact stats but the government has set aside >£100m for councils to invest in public charging facilities the criteria that councils put in 25% of the cost. Not unsurprisingly in this environment the councils have said they can't afford the 25% and so very little of the "pot" has been used (I seem to remember its only some councils in London). I can see it now, a charging station on every lamp post and parking wars reinvented to get near one :wack:

Until there is a significant breakthrough in battery technology allowing a real world 7 day / 300+ mile range there is no way the majority of car buyer could contemplate a PHEV. Thats why I'm convinced the next step will be hybrid cars (ie self charging not plug in) with a small <2 litre petrol engine. We won't see the end of combustion engine in the real world until battery tech works differently.

ps I can plug my car in to 100% capacity and get a real world 20 miles out of all electric mode BUT and this is the crunch if I leave it standing the capacity decreases at an alarming rate so even if I charged it on a Friday if I did not run it until Monday the capacity would be significantly reduced to maybe 6 miles. I tend to run it in one mode it to retain a battery capacity of c30% which is enough for me to warm the car and seats remotely before I get in on a chilly morning :grin:

Porsche Clarifies 'Diesel Is Dead" Statement, Isn't Dropping Diesel Entirely

There was little surprise at the recent news that Porsche had axed its last remaining diesel vehicles in Europe, with the diesel versions of the Macan and Panamera being withdrawn from sale.

It was a move in keeping with the tide of history; the Dieselgate scandal has affected sales of compression-ignition engines on both sides of the Atlantic, and Porsche's adoption of the technology came more from market pressure than from any great enthusiasm for it. Yet, it seems, those reports were wrong"”or at least premature. Porsche in Great Britain, the source of the original report, has released a clarifying statement that it is still planning a diesel version of the new Cayenne.

'Currently, the demand for diesel models is falling, whereas interest in petrol and hybrid models is increasing significantly," the company's statement said. 'In light of these facts, Porsche has adapted its product planning.

This decision means that Porsche currently does not offer any vehicles with diesel engines. However, it does not mean a diesel exit at Porsche. As announced, the new Cayenne is set to feature a diesel powertrain. The exact time of the market launch is not yet clear."

Which is good news for Europe's lovers of frugal luxury SUVs but of little direct bearing to those of us on the other side of the Atlantic. The Volkswagen Group has already said it won't be bringing any of its diesel engines back to the States, and Porsche exclusively uses VW-sourced diesel powerplants.

Still smells of a slapped arse behind the scenes for software abuse :hand:

Another update

STUTTGART -- Porsche expects to launch a diesel version of the new-generation Cayenne SUV this year and may offer the powertrain in the smaller Macan crossover as well, a top executive said, denying reports that the automaker plans to abandon the technology.

"We're not saying that we are exiting [diesel]," Porsche sales chief Detlev von Platen told Automotive News Europe and sister publication Automobilwoche here last week. "Presently, the planning process foresees one for the Cayenne and probably for the Macan, too. For the SUV models, it [diesel] makes sense where customers want range and torque."

Porsche debuted the new Cayenne at last year's Frankfurt auto show. The Macan is due for a face-lift this year as it starts the second half of its product life cycle. The next-generation Macan, most likely due in 2021, is widely expected to be offered with a full-electric variant. Porsche recently doubled its five-year electromobility spending to 6 billion euros amid increasing government pressure on automakers to reduce emissions.

When asked when the Cayenne diesel might reach European markets, Von Platen replied: "Likely in the course of this year."

Amid reports Porsche had decided to stop output of its diesels, Von Platen downplayed the powertrain's importance to the brand, which neither builds nor develops diesel. It sources the ones it uses from Volkswagen Group sister brand Audi.

"It was never extremely relevant. Only about 14 percent of the 246,000 cars we sell worldwide are a diesel," said Von Platen, who sees greater potential for Porsche's electrified range. "We see big demand for our plug-in hybrids, especially with the latest generation, now that its electric range was extended to 50 kilometers [up from 36km]. That plays a big role."

Until the brand's integration into VW Group in the summer of 2008 and subsequent change in management, the sports-car maker was strongly opposed to using diesels. The first diesel in the range came early the following year in the Cayenne.

Via http://europe.autonews.com/

:?:

Manufacturers are now rushing to offer plug ins, but often the petrol engines they are mated to have had little R&D thrown at them as they have been concentrating on diesel over the past 10 years. If you have nowhere to plug the thing in, then they are a complete waste of time.
My daily is a Lexus NX hybrid, a lovely thing which happily charges itself and gives me 40 mpg if I can be arsed to drive it properly. No range anxiety and a well developed battery system. Hybrid batteries in a Prius for example are only around £700 to replace if they go wrong, which they don't, I think the battery packs in PHEV's are a lot more. BMW I3 and I8 batteries are many thousands to replace.
Many manufacturers must be pooping themselves right now, as they have been caught with little or no product to sell and having to cobble together quick solutions, needing a lot more engineering time to get right. Toyota and Lexus must be having a corporate chuckle to themselves, as they have a full range of ready to go and decent to drive hybrids.
I'm amazed at the speed of all this change, consumers are voting with their feet very quickly.

Palladium said:
i have had my eye on an old lexus 300 rx suv, they only did them in petrol,
they will get even more popular, i am not a fan of suv normally, but i do like these, bulletproof and stylish.
Have you driven one? :eek:
2015, we were looking for a family type car and test drove one. Rubbish gearbox, horrible seating position and noisy. Went back to the dealer within 15 mins

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back