Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone know this 964?

I really enjoyed the drive in the 964, it was honestly a lot more smooth than I expected and ran very well.

It started up first time, but the idle was a little low and it caused the car to stall a few times until the dealer gave it some time. Not sure if its the idle that needs adjusting, some fuel cut out, or a bigger issue somewhere else.

Gearbox felt nice, if a little stiff to get into second but that might be the nature of the box? It definitely didn't feel difficult, but it did need to be pulled in.

I didn't get a note of the colour, not sure if it's original... But I do like it! The car was in good condition, slightly rougher inside than the pictures but no more than to be expected after 195k miles!

Need to think about whether it's worth going for one now, or waiting for more examples to come onto the market as there hasn't seemed to be much movement in the market over here...

Gearboxes don't like to be rushed when cold, however they're much better when the car is up to temp.

Low idle could just be a dirty ICV although best to check thoroughly as it could be something more involved.

Have a look at a few for comparison as condition can vary hugely.

Have you seen the similarly priced 147k mile Guards Red C4 advertised privately on PH's: https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...e/911-964/porsche-911-carra-4-cp-1989/8269065

C.

Those 'issues' sound normal. 2nd gear can be 'baulky' when cold and a fluctuating/low idle when cold might need a 'system adaptation' or a clean of the ISV.

Mine has a fluctuating idle when cold but settles down OK. Stalling can be a case of getting used to the clutch/throttle control on air-cooled.

Nowt sounds anything to worry about and if the bodywork is good with no corrosion, suspension in good order and interior leather is good don't rule it out if it floats your boat. There might be room to negotiate on price as a lot of people can't look beyond what is says on the odometer :roll:

Looks to be sitting a touch high, pos still on original suspension , im pleased to see the price even with miles on the high side , a well used car is best take my word for it :) ... with the rebuild it will fly for years to come and looks a great combination , you will have to tweak what ever you get anyway Jay so if you like that one go for it, you wont regret it, once you get used to it you wont look back, its a beaut :thumb:

cableguy said:
Gearboxes don't like to be rushed when cold, however they're much better when the car is up to temp.

Low idle could just be a dirty ICV although best to check thoroughly as it could be something more involved.

Have a look at a few for comparison as condition can vary hugely.

Have you seen the similarly priced 147k mile Guards Red C4 advertised privately on PH's: https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...e/911-964/porsche-911-carra-4-cp-1989/8269065

C.

I did see this, but the recent history of the Original makes it very tempting!

I've since driven a couple more 964s from Phil Raby and the gearbox all felt the same.. So I'm happy that it's normal!

I'm just having a crisis atm as to whether I want to sell the 996t and go for the 64 or stick with what I have... They're both so good to drive..

Robertb said:
I like the look of this one, looks nicely sorted, a bit more money, a bit less miles.
http://philipraby.co.uk/listing/1992-porsche-964-carrera-4/

I actually drove down to see this car and it sold during my travel!

I ended up test driving the 48k silver car he has, which was lovely but out of my price range. Phil was a really great guy though and would happily buy a car off him in the future

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back