Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' Head Unit USB install

Alex

Nordschleife
It's Friday, it's Sunny, Steve Wright's Serious Jockin' is on the Radio. There's only one thing for it - Serious Moddin'!

Yeah, Yeah, I know, it's only Thursday & serious moddin' is Friday afternoon. But I've been that quiet at work if I carry on like this I'll have to scratch on :what:

So, following on from my HVAC relocation & double din head unit install, the next instalment on thew serious moddin' front was to install the 3 USB sockets in the right places so as to not look like some surgical umbilical bodge job from Hostel.

After some deliberating I decided to locate 2 in the glove box under the centre arm rest and one directly in the dashboard for direct 'emergency use' when one of the lads needs to charge his iPhone or e-cig on the way or between boozers.

1st job: remove the long centre console and install double USB socket and route cable back to head unit.

I'll not bore you with the removal process as there's already lots on here (if you use the search function). Whilst removed though, it gave me chance to check my SSK and handbrake.

azir0lO.jpg

I also removed the LH side of the horse shoe to I could locate the 3rd USB in the blank position, easily accessible for the passenger. Now into the workshop to work on some designs and measure up the sockets.

ZOppR7X.jpg

It was quite tricky trying to find somewhere in the glovebox as you need space behind for the cables to run out and also need space in there to plug the USBs in. I decided to fit them at the side of the coin rack. Also remembering the bottom needs to be accessible to adjust the handbrake at a later date.

Needed to remove the locking mechanism to for access to the location point.

f27BNmn.jpg

Teechnical drawing and calculations 😁

jkxxzpH.jpg

and a lump of black Acetal to make it out of.

7Beif6a.jpg

Time to fire up the Miller.

JEmsJO5.jpg

Check for size and fit.

v59ltZB.jpg

and tap some M4 holes for clamping.

6mA3MJ7.jpg

Drill holes in centre console and fit socket block.

xwa5kjb.jpg

and check base fits back in, etc.

Ym612AR.jpg

Machine some rads on to make it look wizzy.

siN8pD8.jpg

and final installation.

fUDt5oQ.jpg

2dGKake.jpg

Just routed the cables down under the centre console and up behind the over centre console up front and to the HU sockets.

2nd install - 3rd 'emergency use' USB on dashboard.

This one was to fit in the spare blank position on the LH horse shoe. Couldn't make it look any good in the original curved blank plate so made my own unique one. Time to get another block of black Acetal and fire up the Miller.

JgtByV3.jpg

Machine USB socket aperture and outside ellipse profile with outer radius to make it look wizzy.

6lC1BaH.jpg

Try on for size.

RScATOg.jpg

and in the horse shoe.

17UHwuG.jpg

Install everything back in the car and give it a whirl.

i9nZZOS.jpg

ap07HVk.jpg

Final viewing to make sure I'm happy with it.

DfAWJp3.jpg

mxaiTeW.jpg

bbiYbyO.jpg

I'm happy with that - nice and tidy with no visible wires, etc.

.......and this Head Unit Rocks!! I've still plenty of apps and stuff to sort on it yet, but as yet it's amazing. The free offline maps sat nav I downloaded is great.

Now where's that boozer. I'm off out to sink a few ales!! :drink:

Last edited:
:worship:

Cracking job.

MC

you my friend are coming round to mine for some serious moddin. fantastic stuff that l unfortunately have no tallent for. love it so much...always need a usb port now a days

I absolutely hate threads like this.... so far beyond my available tools and skill level it makes my attempts at something similar very inadequate. :sad:

That looks great Alex, I really like the one you put next to the head unit :thumb:

Amazing work. You should sell the usb socket for the horseshoe- I would buy one from you!!

Yes, this!

I'd buy a USB blank for the console. (For the 996 I definitely haven't bought) :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back