Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Keep going Richard, a great project and read, you are an inspiration for others to follow :thumb:
Ive just installed a Rotary 2 post in my workshop, wow everything is now so easy, I don't know how I have managed all these years without one
:dont know: but i'm not as young as I used to be!
see you for the Dinlaken weekend.
cheers
paul.

Thank you Paul, there are plenty of inspirational threads on this forum and I'm honoured if you consider this as such. I'm well past the point of no return now though, so you'll have to suffer with me now until the end.

So yesterday I picked the car up from Manthey. For those not familiar, they have a serious thing going on there. Here is a pic just outside the entrance:

40403356271_296466c990_k.jpg

I then drove the car home but had to make an obligatory stop for a pic:

40403349651_260a7ba4f9_k.jpg

Once home I've been busy prepping the car and doing a little fabrication... I recently bought a Lithium battery which weighed in at a paltry 1.485kg, against the original 17.4kg battery it is a massive saving:

40403338331_3bbc2eda24_h.jpg

40403342061_4dac57d3bb_k.jpg

Following this I'm still trying to resolve another issue so I replaced the fuel pressure regulator:

39692641174_b3ece9d0ba_k.jpg

Off tomorrow to drop the car off for the TUV; which although postponed until the 1st March, is a very important phase of this whole project. So I'll be keep my fingers crossed that this hurdle can be overcome...

What a great car.
Best of luck with the TUV.

Cool pics as ever Richard. 8)

Any particular reason for the battery change? Any issues with the Odyssey before I buy one?

I'm guessing the lithium ones are nearer a grand rather than the £100 I have for an Odyssey. :grin:

No problems with the other one Marky, this one is just another 5kg lighter that is all. PM sent ;)

Hi Richard,
Have you considered raising the centre console to bring the gear stick closer to the wheel? Function First used to do a kit, but now they just do the standoffs (spacers). My formula Vee race car has the top of the stick about level with the bottom quarter of the wheel and it's an ergonomic delight. It's so good that I'm considering raising my console if I can sort out the aesthetic problems, though it would only be by an inch or two as anything more would look daft.

Great colour match with the Nürburgring entrance..........

Mike

great work as ever rich and what a massive weight saving on that battery. that is huge!!

Whats involved in the TUV? Is it essentially the german MOT on the car as a whole or are you getting the new items TUV approved?

Would I be right in saying you removed your aircon system or just the pump?
Tempted to do it on mine as Ive not used it since owning the car and the pump is knackered. Ive ordered up a non-aircon belt to fit in the meantime until I decide what way to go.

ELA removed all of his aircon system. I've removed just my pump and I could tell the difference when driving the car, even though it's only 6KG. I reckon that's because it's so far back on the chassis, I doubt I would notice 6KG from within the wheelbase. I left my aircon pipes in, and cable tied plastic bags over the pipe ends to prevent/reduce water/dirt ingestion.

Kudos for removing the pump, that back bolt is a b*gger to get off, I gave up and got 9e to do mine, apparently you can drop the engine a bit for better access.

Martin996RSR said:
ELA removed all of his aircon system. I've removed just my pump and I could tell the difference when driving the car, even though it's only 6KG. I reckon that's because it's so far back on the chassis, I doubt I would notice 6KG from within the wheelbase. I left my aircon pipes in, and cable tied plastic bags over the pipe ends to prevent/reduce water/dirt ingestion.

Was thinking of doing that even though I have a replacement pump to fit.

I ordered this belt? Im assuming that's correct? - http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...-WITHOUT-Aircon-Porsche--996-986-99610215165/

One of the bolts snapped but I think the remaining end is in a bracket that bolts onto the crank case rather than the crank case itself, so should be easy to sort. I can't remember if I dropped the engine down at all to remove it.

Yep Coullstar, that is indeed the belt to use. It's a good time to consider whether to go with an underdrive pulley as well. I elected not to as I don't think the HP recovered by using it is worth the lack of speed on the water pump and alternator when in real-world traffic. This is just my opinion though, and not based on any evidence. ELA may have used an underdrive pulley though, and may want to comment on their efficacy.

Oh, and another thing:
If you do elect to go with an underdrive pulley then you'll need a belt that's shorter again, i.e. one that's made for cars without aircon and that specifically goes with underdrive pulley equipped cars. They do exist, I'm pretty sure D911 sell them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back