Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa 4S GEN2 and Ducktail & PDK paddle steering

badbox

Hi
does anyone know of any reason why a ducktail or rear spoiler cant be fitted to a 997 GEN 2 Targa 2?

Also whats my best options for changing the steering wheel to the paddles similar to 991's

I hear on 991s the sunroof needs to be programed again to reduce opening if a ducktail is installed? I could have misread it somewhere :?:

My guess would be its to do with the rear Targa hatch .. perhaps the glass hatch would foul a ducktail when opened .. or maybe you just wouldnt be able to get into the hatch .. not sure but thats my guess .

Sorry mate cant help re the ducktail and targa issue , Only to say I have just spent 5 mins looking at the back of 997.2 targas and as the roof slides internally on the gen2 and it has a high level brake panel I cannot see why you couldnt , on the 991 maybe as the rear lifts . You would need to fit the turbo high level brake delete panel to get a finished look but they are only cheap and I did mine as the RS wing had a brake light built in as well. .

re the steering wheel the 997.2 paddle wheel is no longer available as its been superceded by the 991.1 paddle wheel which is effectivly the same part with a different part number it should be a straight swap and no newer steering control module needed using the same airbag as the regular gen2 wheel unless yours is a very early gen 2 and has the gen1 steering wheel. if your unsure post some pics of your wheel and that will help.

Phil 997 said:
Sorry mate cant help re the ducktail and targa issue , Only to say I have just spent 5 mins looking at the back of 997.2 targas and as the roof slides internally on the gen2 and it has a high level brake panel I cannot see why you couldnt , on the 991 maybe as the rear lifts . You would need to fit the turbo high level brake delete panel to get a finished look but they are only cheap and I did mine as the RS wing had a brake light built in as well. .

re the steering wheel the 997.2 paddle wheel is no longer available as its been superceded by the 991.1 paddle wheel which is effectivly the same part with a different part number it should be a straight swap and no newer steering control module needed using the same airbag as the regular gen2 wheel unless yours is a very early gen 2 and has the gen1 steering wheel. if your unsure post some pics of your wheel and that will help.

absolutely spot on yes mine roof opens inside not out like 991 and I=the brake light wouldnt be a problem as the ducktail from design 911 has a slot for it. my concern would be the re strip the 4s has between the rear lights but again dont think its an isses.

so can I buy a 991 steering wheel? mine has the multi function wheel with the tiptronic style push and pull buttons on both sides . its a 59 plate so its not like my gen 1 steering wheel but hasnt got that extra pdk part on the top that lights up sports plus etc

badbox said:
Phil 997 said:

absolutely spot on yes mine roof opens inside not out like 991 and I=the brake light wouldnt be a problem as the ducktail from design 911 has a slot for it. my concern would be the re strip the 4s has between the rear lights but again dont think its an isses.

so can I buy a 991 steering wheel? mine has the multi function wheel with the tiptronic style push and pull buttons on both sides . its a 59 plate so its not like my gen 1 steering wheel but hasnt got that extra pdk part on the top that lights up sports plus etc

My 4S now doesnt have the red strip across the rear as the new engine lid with wing comes down to the rear bumper as it would on a C2S, yes the high level brake light should go into the slot on the ducktail and then you replace the old high level panel with the high level delete panel as the turbos have .

re the steering wheel sounds like you have the early PDK wheel with the rocker and a silver facsia with MF . so the 991 wheel will be a straight swap and take your airbag these should be no need for the new steering control module, and as long as the horn works and the paddles change gear your sorted.
when removing the old airbag if you havent dont it there are some good threads on here but you need to push a long thin screwdriver up the hole on the underside of the wheel if its never been of it wont be a hole it will be a nipple push through that then feel the metal and push it should release the airbag and it will pop up about an inch . when refitting it into your new wheel mane sure the wiring look is sitting in the groove for it put a small amount of silicon grease around the sides of the airbag and a especially where the three tabs stick out. the air bag might be a bit stiff when in place push it a fw times if it doesnt start to move up and down freely remove and alloy more silicon grease if there is teflon tape on the airbag sides remove it and clean the surface up.

I am assuming your existing wheel looks like the bottom pic but multi function
and what you want to fit is the top pic
hope that helps

Attachments

• s_l1600_207.jpg
    s_l1600_207.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 5,129
  • s_l1600_447.jpg
    s_l1600_447.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5,129
thank you, have you any pics of your duck tail. so you just fitted it and removed the red strip as if it was a gen one 4S without. I would want to try to keep the red strip if possible

just remembered about the heated steering wheel button behind my existing one. What happens to that

badbox said:
just remembered about the heated steering wheel button behind my existing one. What happens to that

They do a heated version of the 991 paddle wheel so just order that :thumb:

badbox said:
thank you, have you any pics of your duck tail. so you just fitted it and removed the red strip as if it was a gen one 4S without. I would want to try to keep the red strip if possible

Mine isnt a ducktail its an RS wing although the underside bit is similar to a ducktail, I am not sure you could keep the red strip without some serious fabrication :thumb:

Attachments

• 26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n_743.jpg
    26357730_1758799674190865_1875228505784975360_n_743.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 5,037
  • 19051040_1768248116798899_5532997580486606848_n_167.jpg
    19051040_1768248116798899_5532997580486606848_n_167.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 5,037
  • 26184892_533194627048495_7254378897439981568_n_884.jpg
    26184892_533194627048495_7254378897439981568_n_884.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 5,037
Phi - nice pics, looks like Sandbanks?

Phil 997 said:
badbox said:

is only 991 that would fit or Panamera and other models also can be used?

badbox said:
Phil 997 said:
badbox said:

is only 991 that would fit or Panamera and other models also can be used?

yes any that look like that cayman , Boxter, cayenne etc. :thumb: :thumb:

jonno_ said:
Phi - nice pics, looks like Sandbanks?

:grin: :grin: spot on mate :thumb:

997.2 Ducktail

Have just trial fit a Flying Ducktail out of Taiwan prior to painting in body colour. As the name suggests it replaces the top part of the current lifting spoiler on the 997.2 and lifts at speed (or could be disabled using PIWIS etc).

I quite like the slightly smaller, more subtle look and the old school 2.7 RS style vent and am also fitting a mesh grill underneath.

Also made of carbon fibre so light and strong and significantly cheaper than the RPM unit.

Details can be seen here ... https://flyingducktail.com/ but pays to ring the owner Steve Chou and you may be able to negotiate a better price.

The tolerance on some of the mounting holes is not perfect and may require a bit of fettling as I'm doing but overall very happy with the ducktail (See photo of spoiler still in primer. Will post some photos once properly fitted and painted).

Attachments

• img_3854_112.jpg
    img_3854_112.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 4,877

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back