Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Shifter cable positioning / adjustment

Trap 125

Spa-Francorchamps
I've just installed a new 997.2 GT3 shifter and had a quick question...

Some people have said that the cables should be placed back exactly in the same position as they came out (count the threads and place back exactly) and others have said that the grey/green tool (came with the new shifter) that holds the shifter in neutral should be used and the cables installed with the shifter in that position.

Can anybody clarify the correct procedure?

Many thanks.

I'd say exact same position.

Which ever method you use .. then the whole point is can you select the gears ok .

i use the tool but thats what i was taught and it seems ok .. without also works so not really a big deal .

if you cant select reverse then its wrong !

and double check the lever is orientated for a RH drive car and not LH. It can fit both ways and sometimes (mostly) gets sent out as a left hooker.

Thanks. I fitted it on Monday and put the cables back in to their original positions. The car shifts fine. I just wondered if there would be any improvement / worsening of shifting depending on which method was used?

Trap 125 said:
Thanks. I fitted it on Monday and put the cables back in to their original positions. The car shifts fine. I just wondered if there would be any improvement / worsening of shifting depending on which method was used?

Was there a big improvement in shifting/lack of play etc? Am keen to get one fitted to mine as there is reasonable play on the lever when in gear, despite only just nudging 45k miles.

galahad said:
Trap 125 said:

Was there a big improvement in shifting/lack of play etc? Am keen to get one fitted to mine as there is reasonable play on the lever when in gear, despite only just nudging 45k miles.

I've installed mine in my 996.2 GT3. Definitely less play and I would say the shifting was a little better. Its hard to put in to words how the feeling is different as its seems reasonably subtle in my car... less play and little more precise I think best sums it up. I've only taken it for a short drive but that was my initial impressions.

People seem to do the install using either method... Maybe there is no right or wrong? I would have thought there would be a definitive answer though?

Maybe I should try it both ways and see what feels best? Although, would I be right in guessing that all that would change is a very slight different position of the gear leaver? Would there be any difference to the shifts?

The point of the setup is to allow you to select the gears , the tool is a default and positions it for a factory setup .. but it doesnt compensate for any wear / tear .

Without useing the tool you can manualy set it .. basically you adjust it so you can select the gears .

its the same thing .

For me the tool is quicker , very rare i have to alter it from that position .

There is no right or wrong as such .. if you can select all the gears then the cables are set fine .

Demort said:
The point of the setup is to allow you to select the gears , the tool is a default and positions it for a factory setup .. but it doesnt compensate for any wear / tear .

Without useing the tool you can manualy set it .. basically you adjust it so you can select the gears .

its the same thing .

For me the tool is quicker , very rare i have to alter it from that position .

There is no right or wrong as such .. if you can select all the gears then the cables are set fine .

Great info! Many thanks :thumbs:

coullstar said:
So if read this right if you were to buy a 2nd hand 997 shifter without alignment tool you should just use existing cable positions and try from there?

Yes. Seems like a common way of doing it. I've got the tool but installed the cables in the original positions and all is good. I might try putting the cables in position using the tool to see if there is any difference...

It's a 997.2 (2010) GT3 shifter your after.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back