Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

exhaust brackets anti rust solution please

pancobalt

Spa-Francorchamps
So my perfect working tandem pump was replaced due to rusty cover.

Now my rusty exhaust brackets are going to be replaced very soon. Its the brackets that retail at £200 plus vat each ! Luckily i have sourced decent genuine used brackets for a fraction of the retail price.

I would like to coat the replacement brackets with a treatment to stop them rusting again.
Im thinking something along the lines of heatproof hamerite , wax oil , zinc, !!???

Fyi , the 997.1 exhaust , inc pse, in most instances, uses the same brackets as the 996.2, just superceded part numbers to watch ,

Any other tried and tested anti rust ideas most welcome, thank you for your kind help as usual

TB said:
Try ACF50 corrosion block.
Brush it on.

Terry beat me to it :thumb: :thumb: do your tandem pump cover while your under there . :thumb:

pancobalt said:

Did you consider the replacement cover that ACP produce? It's precision made from billet aluminium - comes with testing cert - and means you don't have to replace the whole pump. I fitted one to mine and although a little fiddly to get the fixings torqued up but well worth it. My Indy commented on the high quality when it went in for its recent service.
The Turbo pump is horrendously expensive to replace so I was happy to give this option a go.

I bought some ACF50 for a few bits and pieces under the car that I fancied coating but I have no experience of it long term. Seems quite thin to me and I was expecting something more viscous to thoroughly coat but the reviews are good so we shall see.

Scholester said:
pancobalt said:

Did you consider the replacement cover that ACP produce? It's precision made from billet aluminium - comes with testing cert - and means you don't have to replace the whole pump. I fitted one to mine and although a little fiddly to get the fixings torqued up but well worth it. My Indy commented on the high quality when it went in for its recent service.
The Turbo pump is horrendously expensive to replace so I was happy to give this option a go.

I bought some ACF50 for a few bits and pieces under the car that I fancied coating but I have no experience of it long term. Seems quite thin to me and I was expecting something more viscous to thoroughly coat but the reviews are good so we shall see.

Its encouraging thats several good reviews about the ACP tandem pump
cover , especially as the turbo tandem pump is about 1k :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Scholester said:
pancobalt said:

Yes Phil, Finn showed me his perfectly milled one and it felt good in the hand :grin:
Made sense to go for it as the original cover is only pressed steel so I guessed tolerances would not be a problem on the machined version. They have a nice anodised matte black coating so tidy things up as well as being far more corrosion resistant than OEM.

turbo tandem pump cover

Hi,
How easy are the covers to change? Do you need to drain the oil and coolant?

Mine is rusty on my Turbo but was going to sand, treat and paint.

Thanks,
Tom

Scholester said:
Phil 997 said:
Scholester said:
pancobalt said:

Yes Phil, Finn showed me his perfectly milled one and it felt good in the hand :grin:
Made sense to go for it as the original cover is only pressed steel so I guessed tolerances would not be a problem on the machined version. They have a nice anodised matte black coating so tidy things up as well as being far more corrosion resistant than OEM.

I had heard that Finns looked good and was perfectly formed :grin:
need to now see if they do one for the gen2 :thumb:

Re: turbo tandem pump cover

glazey said:
Hi,
How easy are the covers to change? Do you need to drain the oil and coolant?

Mine is rusty on my Turbo but was going to sand, treat and paint.

Thanks,
Tom

No need to drain oil (you will lose less than 100ml from the old cover). Coolant not affected in any way.

Its a bit fiddly winding the new fixings in once you have positioned the three items held within the cover and slipped the new cover over the top but only takes a short while. I used a cable tie to hold the bearings together then half slipped the new cover on which holds the bearings still before snipping the tie. I made a small tool from a micro spanner, blue tac and Torx bit to wind the new fixings in. My old cover was not too bad but I didn't want the possibility of it splitting for the sake of £180.

Probably not very well explained but it all makes sense once you are in there!

Attachments

• tan1_188.jpg
    tan1_188.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 2,500
  • tan2_558.jpg
    tan2_558.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 2,500
  • tan3_602.jpg
    tan3_602.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 2,500
  • tan4_969.jpg
    tan4_969.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 2,500
  • tan5_121.jpg
    tan5_121.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 2,500
Tandem cover

Hi Scholester,
Thanks for the info !

I will get the car on the ramp this weekend and have a look.

Cheers,
Tom

I 'kin love this forum

Right off to buy some ACF50

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

The used exhaust brackets turned up today, at £155 delivered for pair, they were an absolute bargain compared to £480 that opc wanted :thumb:

I did buy genuine clamps and gaskets though circa £100. 6 pieces in total.

With the cost of the above, plus labour plus acf50 , fingers crossed i get change out of £400 and my exhaust system should be nicely refreshed .

A lot sweeter than the opc b8llox quote of £2000 :evil:

Re: Tandem cover

glazey said:
Hi Scholester,
Thanks for the info !

I will get the car on the ramp this weekend and have a look.

Cheers,
Tom

No problem - Tom good luck.
:thumb:

TB said:
Try ACF50 corrosion block.
Brush it on.

I have found acf50 grease on ebay 454g tub for £11

Is this the gear i should brush on ,? as there is also a spray can available too

Grease or spray or other ?

Thanks for your help

Bikers like to use the spray.
I bought the block. Comes in a tub. I use a small brush and put it on where I see any rust. Keep away from brake discs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back