Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flappy Paddle Mod

...which is why buttons on the steering wheel work so well...always accessible...I was seriously thinking about completing this mod however two things stopped me; I like to maintain originality thus won't make changes to standard and really don't think,aside from the aesthetic, the paddles add much over the tip' buttons?

Each to their own...

GMG said:
...which is why buttons on the steering wheel work so well...always accessible...I was seriously thinking about completing this mod however two things stopped me; I like to maintain originality thus won't make changes to standard and really don't think,aside from the aesthetic, the paddles add much over the tip' buttons?

Each to their own...

There's nothing to stop you keeping the buttons AND installing the paddles.

The buttons are no easier to press when mid-turn, in fact I'd say it's harder as you need to try and rock the button the correct way (which on a 180 wheel turn will be the wrong way round - e.g. up for a downshift).

This problem is literally only when setting off from a standstill in 1st out of a T junction.. I've gotten used to it, I just shift a little early (or late 8) ) and that's that.

Hmmm, paddles and buttons, now there's a thought! Best of both worlds perhaps and if I installed black paddles it won't look too out of keeping?

I have opted to fit the paddles to a manual wheel which will take the airbag and centre cover from the standard tiptronic wheel.

I can therefore change the steering wheels back as required and it also means I am not butchering the original steering wheel - also easier for sending off for a retrim, swapping over etc.

Incidentally switches arrived yesterday and I spent several hours ( :oops: ) last night hacking copious amounts of rubber shavings out of the back of the wheel which contrary to what anyone says - Is not an easy task!!

It also felt wrong.

But the cut-outs are centralised and symmetrical. It is tricky as there is very little room for error.

What does not really get mentioned is that the Merc switches have a flanged piece of alu which is the external surround of the paddle shifter.

The profile of this being too convex is not a good fit for the lesser curved shape of the back of the steering wheel..

I have now noticed that some people have cut slots for the lead and rear edges of the surround to sink into.

I don't want to do this as I have a perfect cut each side. Also I cut quite deep and therefore the surround flanged edges will hold the whole assy firmly in place - but the question is can you apply enough purchase with a screw from the inside to pull the whole shifter assembly in hard (without breaking/cracking/stripping the plastic) :?

All of the above may not make any sense to anyone who hasn't attempted this for themselves :hand:

Whilst I am posting I would also recommend a retrim after making cuts for several reasons - additional enhancement and too finish the wheel nicely as it could easily get damaged - luckily mine did not :thumb:

C4-STORM said:
Half way there!

Manual steering wheel :thumb:
AMG Paddle Switches :thumb:
Fitment :thumb:
Retrim :thumb:

Finally finished this, and it works! (After I put everything back together without fixing the grounds ) :frustrated:

The paddles are a bstd to fit but I have achieved a professional/OE finish.

Big thanks to HSC911 and Jack from Royal :thumbs:

Couple of before and after pics, this mod is well worth a try but be careful with blades, soldering etc.. etc.. 8)

Attachments

• 9b8abada_b22c_40b5_8dcd_1734a8735080_112.jpeg
    9b8abada_b22c_40b5_8dcd_1734a8735080_112.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,061
  • 983fc25c_d8f9_4c5c_9016_955a6a590875_206.jpeg
    983fc25c_d8f9_4c5c_9016_955a6a590875_206.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,061
  • 27d98d74_5023_4dec_ba77_110d751b461c_154.jpeg
    27d98d74_5023_4dec_ba77_110d751b461c_154.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,061
  • 9d8de8fd_08aa_4286_9e68_174f472abd6e_136.jpeg
    9d8de8fd_08aa_4286_9e68_174f472abd6e_136.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,061
Jay. said:
GMG said:

Each to their own...

There's nothing to stop you keeping the buttons AND installing the paddles.

The buttons are no easier to press when mid-turn, in fact I'd say it's harder as you need to try and rock the button the correct way (which on a 180 wheel turn will be the wrong way round - e.g. up for a downshift).

This problem is literally only when setting off from a standstill in 1st out of a T junction.. I've gotten used to it, I just shift a little early (or late 8) ) and that's that.

I have had both and I must say I prefer the buttons. :thumb:

C4-STORM said:

tophat.gif

How does it drive?

Might do this myself at some point but want to actually try it before I do.

:thumb:

That looks very good and well done for tackling it yourself . for anyone reading this that likes the idea but doesnt have the DIY skills, this company offer to do it for you .

http://www.edition9.co.uk/index.html

:thumb: :thumb:

looking at your pictures the switch appears to be flush along its length with the wheel. did you cut into the wheel to get it flat

steve

steve1 said:
looking at your pictures the switch appears to be flush along its length with the wheel. did you cut into the wheel to get it flat

steve

Hi Steve.

Yes they are flush both sides.

I also wondered about that but no I did not cut slots in the back of the wheel.

I found that you can wind the shifters up fairly tight and this changes the flex of them slightly. I used m4 screws but you just need to pack out with washers to stop the screw protruding too close to the underside of the shifter ie. Preventing it from being fully closed. A bit of trial and error. You can also tease the surrounding rubberised part back out with your finger to reduce the gap - bit hard to explain!

I was surprised actually at how well the job turned out given the fact I was using very basic tools. I even managed to release the wheel nut using an AJ as it was late last night and didn't have a 24mm socket.

I soldered the cables in situ and just put an old towel over the surrounding areas to protect from any spitting but was all fine :thumb:

HSC911 said:
C4-STORM said:

tophat.gif

How does it drive?

Might do this myself at some point but want to actually try it before I do.

Hi Jin.

Difficult to drive the car now without using the manual mode!

Absolutely spot on and feels loads better than the standard buttons.

My only observation is that the down shift is a bit unresponsive for some reason but I have got a feeling that this is a trait and was like it before

Phil 997 said:
That looks very good and well done for tackling it yourself . for anyone reading this that likes the idea but doesnt have the DIY skills, this company offer to do it for you .

Cheers Phil.

TBH for what they charge it's probably worth it. The upgrade is definately worth the spend. I also had the manual wheel thickened and trimmed to match headlining and seat sides with a flat bottom which all in all transforms the drive. The flat bottom mod is great as I have quite long legs with seat back all the way and like the steering wheel set quite low :thumb:

I personally cut out the foam to recess the paddles in, I guess it's soft enough where that's not required.

C4-STORM said:
Phil 997 said:

Cheers Phil.

TBH for what they charge it's probably worth it. The upgrade is definately worth the spend. I also had the manual wheel thickened and trimmed to match headlining and seat sides with a flat bottom which all in all transforms the drive. The flat bottom mod is great as I have quite long legs with seat back all the way and like the steering wheel set quite low :thumb:

How are you finding it now? I'm worried once the novelty wears off I'll be disappointed I went away from stock

Jay. said:
I personally cut out the foam to recess the paddles in, I guess it's soft enough where that's not required.

C4-STORM said:
Phil 997 said:

Cheers Phil.

How are you finding it now? I'm worried once the novelty wears off I'll be disappointed I went away from stock

Hi Jay.

I can honestly say it is a million times better. I have found myself driving in manual mode all the time whereas previously with the tip-buttons I would want to use them but found I would only occasionally drop down a gear when in drive (d) and never pushed the gear selector into 'm' at all.

I could not get on with the thumb operated buttons as your thumb should really be kept wrapped around the steering wheel and having a +/- on both sides just doesn't make sense to me :?

My other car has a DCT with virtually the same style paddle shifters so well happy :wink:

My only gripe with the tip is that I find mine is not instant - it was the same with the old buttons as well, not quite as responsive as I would like. Not sure why??

edit - having a retrimmed/thicker manual steering wheel has transformed the interior and for some odd reason the dials and needles are jumping out at me!

I notice the same on my buttons, but I've put it down to the fact it's older technology.

I drove a friends M3 who's downshift is pretty much instant and the throttle auto-blips too, I'd pay good money for that!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back