Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Word of warning... 'Modern Classic Car Co' ROGUE TRADER

Bradders911. Just been chatting to my mate who's a Scottish Lawyer, his advice is as follows:

1 if you are going to reject the car you must do it ASAP
2 if your going to reject the car you must do no work to it at all otherwise you will be deemed to have accepted it as it is, you must also not use the car as that could be construed as accepting it.
3 we're not sure on distance selling law in regards to where you need to go to pursue this guy, you would be better off in his opinion doing it in Scotland as their laws are tighter than English laws.

All in all don't sit on your hands with this as failure to act quickly will result in him winning. You also need to factor in problems that you haven't found!

Good luck

easternjets said:
Bradders911. Just been chatting to my mate who's a Scottish Lawyer, his advice is as follows:

1 if you are going to reject the car you must do it ASAP
2 if your going to reject the car you must do no work to it at all otherwise you will be deemed to have accepted it as it is, you must also not use the car as that could be construed as accepting it.
3 we're not sure on distance selling law in regards to where you need to go to pursue this guy, you would be better off in his opinion doing it in Scotland as their laws are tighter than English laws.

All in all don't sit on your hands with this as failure to act quickly will result in him winning. You also need to factor in problems that you haven't found!

Good luck

Thanks for the advice.

I rejected the car, formally by email, and did get a response so know he had it. I spent two weeks back-and-fro in an attempt to resolve it without all that hassle but to no avail, so within 14 days of delivery I rejected. I have followed that up twice now, once saying 'another 7 days' and once saying 'its court then buster'

Am in contact with Citizens Advice Scotland, and will see what they say. If nothing else, I plan to make this fellas life difficult: HMRC I am sure will be interested as I am sure he will have declared the sale, and if i can get a CCJ against him (so even if I spend some money and successfully sue him to be liable under small claims) I am sure all his outstanding finance providers, like mortgage companies, will also want to have a word...

I have now registered the vehicle, as I don't want an Insurance issue if it sits on my drive and isn't in my name. I have been beyond reasonable.

Good to hear you've done that. Registering the car shouldn't be an issue as he should have done that when you bought the car and if not then it should have been done straight away.
CAB in his local town is a good place to go, chances are he will have history with them and hopefully a small nudge in the right direction might encourage them to look into his dealings.
As for the other things I would keep them under your hat for now, most of HMRC's business comes from referrals!
As the amount you are going to be suing for is not a small claim then any expenses you incur can be taken into account when and if you succeed in court.
Go for it.

Thanks all, if only I had done more searching before dealing with this crook!

Trading standards informed, now I have a firm address I can start county court stuff if he doesn't repent and simply apply a refund and take it back.

Top forum stuff.

bradders911 said:

Trading standards informed, now I have a firm address I can start county court stuff if he doesn't repent and simply apply a refund and take it back.

Top forum stuff.

Good for you--update us all of course :)

bradders911 said:

Top forum stuff.

A fellow forum member pointed me to this thread. Sorry to hear about your dealings, i've had the displeasure of this chap over on Pistonheads. An arrogant/vile human being who went about 'trolling' other car enthusiasts in an attempt to big-up the cars he was currently marketing. He pretended to be a mere car owner/enthusiast but got caught out.

Hopefully this thread will keep others clear, its already clearly caused him to trade under a different name ( Performance & Historic Classics ), well done Bchivs.

Why do people hand over nearly £15k for a 2nd hand car/porsche they have never seen?

Yes some dealers are crooks but some people are stupid and keep the crooks in business :nooo:

What's up with this dealer - have members had bad experiences of them? I ask because I was looking at a different car on their website recently.

Yeah - Whats wrong with the dealer?? thats a good add and pictures, the car looks lovely.

Isn't this the bloke who says he s not a dealer, but is a dealer, until something goes wrong, then he's not a dealer :?:

just buy the car not the dealer, i know they say buy the seller, but its not logical, loads of smarmy, smug dealers who want to be your friend when you are interested, then don't want to know when you have bought it,

if its a great car, that's what you are living with in your garage, not the necessity that sold it to you.

Do not touch anything from this person. I have an interest that goes back about 4 years, and the company name has changed about once a year. Things look good until you receive the goods and find that porkies have been told and there is NO comeback. He is a professional, and a normal person has very little chance against the scale of planned deception. I took judgment and tried to enforce but the Scottish sheriffs failed to find any assets to seize.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back