Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Heater blower motor

jond58

Nurburgring
The fan in my 996 started making a racket on Sunday! Turning the fan speed off instantly stopped the carcophony so I'm assuming the blower motor bearings have given up. Euro car parts do a valeo oem one at £90 but it mentions a plug adaptor and I can't get an accurate answer for them as to what this is and if it's included?!? Anyone any experience of these and could throw some light on it?

I bought a pattern part from ECP (it's a standard VAG part) for about £45 but found it was faulty, they had a batch that span the wrong way!!!

I upgraded to a Valeo (OEM) part for not much more (way less than £90 with their regular parts discount) and that's been fine, straight replacement with no adaptor or anything.

Mine is a facelift car, not sure if that makes any difference. It's easier to change because you can take out the glove compartment to get at it.

It is a VW/Audi compatible part. The eis ones are a bit rubbish I think. They own Euro car parts now and I think that stuff is all China made so probably 50/50 on quality control at best! It seems a very easy job it's just the plug adaptor thing, they're 30miles away so I didn't want to drive there twice!

Just an obvious stupid point .. which i often make .. but take out the pollen filter and look down to make sure theres nothing jammed in the fan ..

Mice do tend to make their nests there and an acorn or 2 in the fan is kinda noisy .

Good point!!!! I'll have a look down I assume if there is something it'll be apparent too when I release the motor, it does appear a simple job just a bit of flexibility required but I might do it on a ramp tomorrow evening

You remove the fan from inside the car .. so a ramp is not needed , actually the legs get in the way lol .

Its pretty easy and if there is anything causeing the noise then it will be pretty obvious .

It was just a thought anyways as bearings tend to slowly get louder but you mentioned it was sudden .. and i hate people spending money when they dont have to .

Aww btw did you still want that bit of foam .. ivew been off for a few days so not sure if you had got it / wanted it etc ?

Yeah I was thinking of reaching up rather than ending down on the ramp but yeah it's probably just as bad/worse. I'll drop the motor tomorrow and check it's nothing silly and also have a look at this plug business before I go get one.
My friend turned up a boxster jack and foam insert, really sorry for not getting back to you! It didn't fit anyway! I think that may be because it's a c4?!? But basically the carpet bit didn't shut with it in so I've wrapped the jack in a microfibres towel and put it back in its bag!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back