Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project Blue Book

Thought it was about time I knuckled down and posted up the progress on 'Project Blue Book'....
I have been working on it but haven't had much worth posting i guess...
Thought it was time to remove the thick tar panels on the inside floor to look for dreaded rust.

And a bin full of cra*p

Scraping with the heatgun revealed this...

So with the car rolled over I could finish off removing the last bits of underseal.

Got very bored with that so thought i'd get the welder revvvved up!

So getting neater all the time....
Next I decided to trim the wheel arches down. I maked a line time tape at 16mm and you can see how out they are. A lot of grinding and a nasty cut on my digit, but here we are.

Looking a bit more like it. I cannot stand seeing the return lip being so huge and all over the place!

Now remember my latest hairbrained scheme?????

So here we have the finished result...

Sooooo whaddaya all think???????
Anyhoo off for a shower and try and get all this metal dust and grinding out of me hair and ears!
All the best chaps,
Enjoy the rugby!
Chief

Wow Gosh pick me up off the floor. Hats off to you, i wish i had the skills

The louvres look totally 100% awsome. Love to be a little different

I have to ask what type ocd do you have !

Keep it up, just read the entire thread as at work today !

Thanks fellas,
Chris, I hope to finish before then, but you know how long I've had this car :oops:

Phil, appreciate it. I know how you hate Hotrodding :puh:

FRP, thank you for the love, I have a form of OCD that means people can only spend an hour or so with me in the garage before they start to get where I'm coming from :grin: :grin: :grin: Glad you found it interesting thus far :thumb:

Kind of you to say Fast Bug, I appreciate it :thumb:

So the first of the fancy parts have arrived from the good ol US of A....
I appreciate that it's kind of engine dressing but Porsche used something very similar on the quad cam back in the day. I couldn't resist. I think with the 911 fan and shroud, these should fit the whole vintage look...

Beautifully cast in Ali then heat treated :bandit:

Luverly :thumbs:

Cheers,
Paul

Chris, Paul,
Thanks fellas, I just fell for them when I spoke to Travis who casts them.
I've been waiting for him to make them for the type 4 as he only offered them for the type 1. A little bit of an endulgent treat I admit :puh:

Right then onto the next part of this project. One of the modifications to be done is make and fit the rear ant roll bar brackets.

So this is from inside the trunk (Rear). I need to reinforce this chalked area.

Firstly I needed to clean all the old paint off.

Then make the 1mm strengthening plates with drilled holes to be able to puddle weld.

I flipped the plate over to be opposite, then drilled the main centre holes with them clamped together to cut down on the amount I had to drill. It was just the diagonal hole in each I had to do seperate.

Then puddle welded in position.

You can see that the welds have penatrated, also how the main brackets will sit.

And there we have it. Rear anti roll bar all sorted.
All wheel arches are now trimmed down and all small pin and patches sorted.
All the best,
Chief

Slow progress but just taking my time and enjoying it!
Time for more welding and panel fabrication....

I made this bracket as a pure indulgence :p
Nothing in my mind says 70's classic car like an electric arial :grin:
Yep, it's true...I managed to track down a real Porsche one.
Now I hate those hole punched plated metal strips that you are supposed to secure the mast body to the car with. Nasty self tappers and alike.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Okay, onto the serious stuff. Time to start to set up the front anti roll bar.
This is going the take some effort...

A fair bit of measuring and some crossed digits. You drill a 25mm hole through the body and hope it's in the right place :eek:

This is what has to live here...

Got the hole pretty close. You can see where the factory cut out is. These roll bars were only fitted to a handful of cars as standard.

The other side is a little off, which was at first a bit alarming. I have used the depression in the outside to line up the brackets and all seemed fine.
On closer inspection and measuring the bar in the chassis I think it's more likely that the inner strengthening box section is a little out. I will have to work around this...
Next I made a cardboard template to make a strengthening place to spread the load from the bar.

These should spread the load of the roll bar nicely.

I thought for fun I would use my German and make these look like the factory fitted them :grin:
The holes are there for me to puddle weld them into place tomorrow.

I then cleaned the area up where they are going to be welded to.
I was getting a bit brassed of with them so turned back to the boot floor, but this time the inside.

I am creating what I think the factory would have done as a customer order ST car, so light weight is where it's at. To that end I am removing all the factory expanded seam sealer. This is what they would have done to save weight. It's a ball of a job, but I think once painted it will look the part.
That's all for now. Off to warm up and get a hot shower.
All the best,
Chief

Time for some welding...
The strengthening panels I made need to be fitted milimetre perfect to not foul the roll bar. So to this end I took a lot of time checking and checking again!

So these bad boys fitted it was time for the other side to be sorted.
Most peeps just cut a slot to allow the bot spacer to be pushed below the box section panel.

I couldn't in all good concience leave it like this.

After getting the body level....

I checked the bar. All bang on!

And the finished job.

So onto the next chapter!
All the best,
Chief

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno