Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Swaying towards Turbo!😚

Jay. said:
adamw said:
plynchy said:
Took the wife out in mine shortly after buying it, floored it down a slip road in second 'I feel sick' and 'you're going to kill yourself in this' were her responses. :D

Is that a standard 'wife" reaction to the 996T.. mine was the same :floor:

*grabs door and props herself further into the chair*

*smacks your arm as you slow back down*

It's so funny because you just know you will get that reaction either flooring it, or fast roundabout, especially if you're giving a lift to someone who hasn't experienced it before! :lol:

I can remember the first few drives in my old 996tt and it was my eyes that struggled most; the ferocious acceleration gave, to me, the curious illusion that the tarmac was rushing beneath the car too fast. Perhaps it's something to do with my long-sightedness, but it was as though I was continually having to re-focus further up the road.

Mrs reckoned that, because it was quieter than the TVRs I used to run, it did not seem to accelerate as fast. Turbos build speed with spectacular ease.

It's the mirror for me.

When you've just passed something and glance in the rear view mirror a second or 2 later and it's vanished :?:

I took my brother in law and his young lad out in mine. The younger one loved the experience, his Dad said that the acceleration was so fierce it made him feel sick. He said it felt as though his stomach was sitting in the rear seat under hard acceleration. 8)

As already mentioned earlier in this thread, you can do that in a turbo but not in a Carrera..... :bandit:

I was bimbling through a village close to my home recently. 30mph dead, then wham! A mirror full of black AMG63. Right on my ass. I LOVE stuff like this! So up come the national speed limit signs and a beautifully surfaced dry ribbon of tarmac- fast too. 3-2-1 and whooph.... Mr. Merc does likewise but its no match by a long chalk. See- You- Later.... I'd put 200 metres into him almost straight away. I kept it lively for a mile or so then slowed down again. He soon caught me again but I turned off. He gave a toot of his horn and floored it straight on. They do sound nice those C63's.
The turbo is King. Ok, there's stuff out there that can do you (720S springs to mind) but I simply never encounter them. I never go out my way to duff people but loads of guys goad me. They often know I'll destroy them but just like to see it go I guess :thumbs: Love it!

Turbos rock,,,end of !!!

sample, it, buy it, drive it ! then modify it !

My wife just screams and i have to promise her i will not put my foot down. I promise but with the cavieat that i do need to exercise the car from time to time LOL

She hates the sheer grunt of the car. I can however slowly creep up the speed. Its the accelleration she hates and really complains when pressing on

My son once said to me " I think we had better go home now i am really scared" he is a real petrol head,,,,totally made my day !

BUY IT MAN

There are many roads that allow you to stretch the legs of any car, you just gotta be careful, sensible and consider both everyones and your safety at all times

I have had a few memorable reactions to the acceleration of a Turbo..

Had my boss in the car when I was joining a busy dual carriageway - spotted a gap in traffic from the top of the slip road, so planted it when he didn't expect me to, and almost snapped his neck.

Travelling back down the M4 towards London, and was in danger of getting boxed into the middle lane by a X5 beside me, so just accelerated and moved to the outside lane. I'd pulled into Reading services shortly after, and what turned out to be the driver of the X5 approached me in the car park. Turned out, he'd been admiring the car as he wanted one himself, and it made his day seeing it take off the way it did.

My sister-in-law, who passed away a couple of years ago, always used to insist on a passenger ride in my cars to see how fast they were - so when I had my previous Turbo, I took her and my nephew out for a quick drive. On a long straight piece of road (slightly damp), I slowed to about 5mph, made sure sports mode was on, and nailed it - the car squirmed a bit as it took off, and she screamed for about a mile, then practically fell out the car when we arrived back. It was one thought when I swapped to the Turbo S, that sadly, I wouldn't have the chance to do the same again..with launch control..

A good Turbo will be an appreciating asset so guilt free ballistic fun with movie star looks. What's not to like!?
:drive:

I learned my first Polish word when I took my contractors foreman out for a spin in my 996T. He'd kept quite calm whilst we were driving but when we got back his mates asked him what he thought. He grinned and told them "fukmetizquik".

:thumbs:

Reeled. In.

Modified granted, but that's some turn of speed.

BChivs said:
Palladium said:
so whats the point of all this power on cars nowadays?

Said no petrol head ever! 😂😂😂

😂😂😂 So True.. I think Mr Palladium needs go wash the sand out his of lady parts.. As much as we may have 20,30,40,60,& 70mph limits over here,it's not so much what a Turbo can do top end (although it is very,very,nice) but
it's HOW it gets to 20,30,40,50,60 & 70mph.. No NA 996 or 997 does what the 996 Turbo can do...Torque... BHP will give you top end shizzle,but Torque is what pins you to the seat and makes you grin like a Cheshire Cat.. And as to where you can use all this power,as someone has stated before,there are tons of excellent 'B' roads out there without speed cameras to enjoy your Turbo.. I live in Essex which might be the speed Camera capital of England and yet I've managed to map out a wicked 70 mile route of country lanes with twistys and full on straights to test both me and the car to the max literally right on my doorstep.. In fact once you get the Turbo you'll go purposefully looking for routes to utilise the car to it's full potential,which doesn't necessarily mean top mph,even tho I have managed 170 whilst being chased by an M5 which funnily enough disappeared in my rear view once I'd gone passed 155... Bottom line,it's a GREAT ALL ROUND CAR..
Here's my old 1...which I owned for 2.5 years and covered over 50,000 miles in,including trips to Wales numerous times,Scotland the Alps and Spain..

https://www.friendsgreenporsche.com/product-page/porsche-996-turbo

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back