Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slight ignition problem

chriscoates81

Suzuka
Hi guys so recently i've noticed that occasionally when the car has been stood for a few hours, when i come to start it nothing happens. It doesn't even crank, however if i then turn the key to the '0' position and try again it starts ok. I should point out that when it doesn't crank, everything else still works.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

I could be the switch on the back of the ignition barrel. Mine faild and the key got stuck in the barrel. It's an easy diy fix if you can bend yourself under the dashboard. The switch is available from most motor factors. It's the same switch as fitted to golfs.

I'd bet on the switch too. Had one go on mine with almost identical symptoms. Eventually it won't start at all. Cheap replacement part from aftermarket, or apparently slightly better quality direct from Audi dealer.

Cheers I'll look into it. Any rough ideas on cost of parts/time to fit/difficulty?

I think the part was about £15 from euro car parts. You should do it in about an hour. There's a small grub screw that has locktite on that can be awkward. Apart from that it's quite easy.

I've found a 857440030 on ecp for 22.50. That sound about right? I assume I've got the earlier steering housing (although I didn't think it had changed). Looks like the Porsche part is 99634701707 but it's 150 from design 911. That's if it's the correct part.

I've been thinking of doing mine, I think they seem quite a common fail. As I understand it design911 and selling all the switch and bits complete at £150+vat. I think that it may be just the electric bit as you indicated available at ecp that is required. Vw use the same set up and my mate has done load and this has sorted those

I'm not sure of the part number but the price of £22 seems about right. It's only a small black plastic round switch with a few electrical terminals on one end. You don't need all the key barrel and sterling lock mechanism.

Part number I used was 4A0 905 849 B. It is a bit of a PIA to get those little set screws or grub screws loosened, but once you have the switch off, do yourself a favour and replace those nasty little grub screws with a short M7 x 0.7 screw or cap screw. Sharpen the tip a bit with a bench grinder so they dig into the switch better. Once you have these screws in place you can change the switch without any tools, just run them out and in with fingertips.[/img]

Attachments

• img_0283_121.jpg
    img_0283_121.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,687
My car has started to exhibit issues with the key not coming out of the ignition barrel on first try. I'd like to fix it before it gets properly stuck.

Will replacing with 4A0-905-849-B fix it?
I've seen this from Amazon.

81-MZNJqGxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's branded as Meyle.

About this item
  • Meyle Germany
    Fits Porsche Boxster 986 1998-2004 models
    Audi Coupe 1989-1996__ Audi 80 1987-1996__ Audi A100 1987-1994

If the part number is the same on this item as what JTT posted then yes .. it did for his anyways ..

I cant see all of the part number on the lock though so cant say if it's the same .

996 is not listed in the description but i'm unaware of the boxster and 996 being different .

We change the entire lock assembly and not just this part but the numbers are the same .

With these items and they are often VW based .. some are too long and wont work .

Thanks Iain.
I'll take a punt on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back