Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thoughts on the E92 M3? Who has/had one?

I like mine, great car, mines a daily an E93 and a DCT, I am not an Auto fan at all, but the box is very good and quite a bit quicker than a manual, it is fit for purpose for what I use the car for and the manuals ive driven feel notchy and the ratios are wrong for the screamer engine. An M3 really is the jack of all trades master of none, and if you are getting on average over 19 MPG you are not driving it right! The Engine is one of the best, its just superb, sounds awesome with a cheap exhaust mod, 8500 rpm V8 howler, in a straight line it will show a 996 a clean pair of heels, but I still think it could do with a bit more torque and power, to be perfect.

I would not go back to an E46 M3 now unless it was a CSL, and that would be more for investment reasons. They are just getting troublesome now, old and drive old as such, and that's fine because they are now being called a classic.

I think you will like one, id drive both a manual and a DCT as the most important difference to see what you like.

Nice options, EDC, heated seats, Harmon Kardon or individual sound system, Piano black trim, Individual cars, TV, Hardrive, folding mirrors etc..and I would also go for an LCI facelift model.

Things to go wrong of concern throttle actuators (no biggy really) and rod bearings at higher miles not looked after cars, however go for an approved AUC BMW car as they start at 18k now, and stress not !! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks, Boba, knew you would be along!

What is the exhaust hack I have heard about?

I heard the basic stereo is terrible. I never really get heated seats, just extra weight in my mind, but I know the next buyer would look for it.

Have heard a fair amount about AUC, take it that's the BMW warranty then is it?

Is 60-77k on the clock acceptable? Do they have engine data like the Porkies so I can gauge how it has been driven?

Oh and can you have a roof rack with the CF roof? And do all the 2 doors come with said roof.

Sorry for all the questions, will join M3 Cutters when I know a little of what I am talking about.

I was an M3 chap through and through until I got the E92 when it came out. It turned me right off them - just far too big, heavy, numb, soulless and another step away from what the M3 was to me. I'd had at least one of each model prior to this, inc 3 (I think, might have been 4) E46's. I'd try an M2 though, they might be more to my tastes..

I sold it after a couple of months and bought my first 986 boxster S. Never looked back.

Interestingly I now dislike the 991.2s as they are a mile away from what a 911 is to me...

Maybe its just me :dont know:

Nope - me too - owned E30, E36, E46 & E46 CSL which I traded in against an E92. Had ago in a M2 last year and didn't remind me of an E30 M3 at all - could just be my age!

I parked beside a 991 last year in the 993 and both owners were laughing at the differences in the two models - both for very different reasons I must add......

The return of Marty Wild said:
Thanks, Boba, knew you would be along!

What is the exhaust hack I have heard about?

I heard the basic stereo is terrible. I never really get heated seats, just extra weight in my mind, but I know the next buyer would look for it.

Have heard a fair amount about AUC, take it that's the BMW warranty then is it?

Is 60-77ok on the clock acceptable? Do they have engine data like the Porkies so I can gauge how it has been driven?

Oh and can you have a roof rack with the CF roof? And do all the 2 doors come with said roof.

Sorry for all the questions, will join M3 Cutters when I know a little of what I am talking about.

You find you need to own the V8 a little longer than a couple of months to let it grow on you. It happens a lot to owners that don't quite gell with it at first, but it will grow on you.

Yes upgrade stereo and EDC seems to be a must, all the others are mostly for resale time as you hardly use them.

Only coupes models have the CF roof and yes You can fit a bike rack, as they have the strips to do this.

I would draw the line at 90k as thats at the point where Rod bearings could, might happen. Its 1k to do the rod bearing though.

Actuators last about 60 to 70k miles.

AUC is the no quibble BMW warranty it is very good, and there is no data to worry about, the fact its still going with no dash lights is all you need !!

The exhaust hack is about £200 and it depends on what you want, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 2.75 or 4 pipe exhaust mod and the higher the number the louder it is. I have the 2.5, its loud and epic !!

@ Colin & Raggy - I know this is a Pork forum and I know both the 911 and the M3 have become unrecognisable, so completely respect your feelings on the matter.

I need a bigger car to move me and little family unit around, so really think S4 or M3 is the right size for the job. When I buy cars, I keep them for ages, so this is a total departure for me to even contemplate the Cayman going so soon.

The cars I mention above are what I see as the best trade off of practicality and driver fun. With the Beamer being more fun, S4 more practical.

Thanks, Boba...

Will look out for the EDC and uprated stereo. Some CF splattered about would be nice too.

I was indeed asking for the purposes of a bike rack, am I that obvious?
Obviously I would like to get a car that had had the bits done but as you say, can get it done myself.

Will bear AUC in mind, so I can't have a look at any data from clues to its life though by the sounds of it?

Exhaust mod sounds a winner, if I can get a car from M3 Cutters, I saw lots of them have it done. Incidentally, I see you are on there. I am having trouble signing up, my account just appears inactivated and I can't post.

ColinC said:
Nope - me too - owned E30, E36, E46 & E46 CSL which I traded in against an E92. Had ago in a M2 last year and didn't remind me of an E30 M3 at all - could just be my age!

I parked beside a 991 last year in the 993 and both owners were laughing at the differences in the two models - both for very different reasons I must add......

Hey Colin, I'm glad its not just me. I think you've saved me pursuing the M2 idea too :thumb:

Many people say the E30 was the 'greatest' M3, but in the 3-4 months I had it I just remember thinking that it didn't feel quick enough. The pick of the lineage for me is the E36evo. What a car that was, sublime chassis, not much in the way of driver aids, that engine.

The E46 had it for me in the looks department which is probably why I went back time and again to get another one. I actually preferred the SMG II box for track use, but round town it took a bit of getting used to.

The last E46 I had was silver with SMG. It ended up bent in half around a lamp post after I tried (and failed) to do a Chris Harris around a bend on a wet road, thinking I could modulate the throttle like I could in the dry... That was embarrassing :oops:

@Marty - No probs dude, just giving my opinion so you get a balanced view :thumb:

ragpicker said:
I was an M3 chap through and through until I got the E92 when it came out. It turned me right off them - just far too big, heavy, numb, soulless and another step away from what the M3 was to me. I'd had at least one of each model prior to this, inc 3 (I think, might have been 4) E46's. I'd try an M2 though, they might be more to my tastes..

I sold it after a couple of months and bought my first 986 boxster S. Never looked back.

Interestingly I now dislike the 991.2s as they are a mile away from what a 911 is to me...

Totally agree with this, worst M car I've ever had/driven! Soulless sums it up beautifully.

To get it to go anywhere at a decent lick you really have to wring the c*"p out of it.

If you have no previous experience of M3's then you may well be fine.

Everyone bangs on about the 'soundtrack of the V8', personally I don't think it comes close to a N/A Merc AMG V8.

Ever considerd a C63?

m119cars said:
ragpicker said:

Totally agree with this, worst M car I've ever had/driven! Soulless sums it up beautifully.

To get it to go anywhere at a decent lick you really have to wring the c*"p out of it.

Everyone bangs on about the 'soundtrack of the V8', personally I don't think it comes close to a N/A Merc AMG V8.

Ever considerd a C63?

You say all that then mention the C63 :what: :what: :what:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZExdTHHjY

Boba fett said:
m119cars said:
ragpicker said:

Ever considerd a C63?

And your point is?

I've just watched that and it reinforced everything I said above, lost count of how many times Clarkson used the word 'boring'.

m119cars said:
Boba fett said:
m119cars said:
ragpicker said:

Ever considerd a C63?

And your point is?

I've just watched that and it reinforced everything I said above, lost count of how many times Clarkson used the word 'boring'.

That clip is missing the end, when clarkson drives it !!

I had one for about 18 months, previous to that a CSL for 6 years. The E92 was never intended as a replacement for the CSL, there was a bit of a gap between each and the e92 was bought as a daily.

Saying that the e92 felt very heavy compared to the e46. Completely different driving experience. More of a muscle car compared to sports car.

The engine was the centre of attention, mine had a 4 pipe mod to the exhaust and sounded heavenly. 18 mpg as said was about average.

Mine was a run our model frozen silver edition, basically a competition pack with some extra trinkets. Carbon interior, alcantara steering wheel from the GTS the main ones. If I was buying again I would look for a late model comp pack. The frozen silver looked great but was a complete nightmare to keep looking good.

All in it was a cheap car to own I bought for 33k and sold for 32.5k. Obviously petrol being the main cost.

I would love another. I miss the V8.

I have one as a daily. Really enjoy it, 2 pipe mod just right for me , slightly lowered. Im a massive manual fan but i have the DCT and it suits the V8 wonderfully. Car has a load of character and is quick. 8400 in a V8 is quite a thing...end of the summer last year i ditched the conti for super sports which also seem to suit the car.

Base stereo is common and poor but there is an Alpine kit thats less than 400quid which brings it up to reasonable standard. I think EDC is a very nice option for daily unless you want to start modding...mpg is 21/22 ish mixed driving.

Had mine just over a year and prices seem to be holding up reasonably well.

E46 is a different thing and ive had a couple of those, it certainly wasnt a torque monster.. If you want a faiirly modern V8 sports coupe for reasonable money it has to be E92. Or even the four door.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back