Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 3.4 DIY Clutch & Fly etc turns into mini restoration

Time for the next thrilling instalment!

GEARBOX IS FINALLY BACK ON!

IN THE SNOW!!!!

First I replaced the tensioners, removed the camlock too and checked the cam hadn't moved. Put a new cam cover plug in. Removed flywheel lock drill bit.

Old RMS out with drill and screw method. You can peer in at the primary chain tensioner pad with the RMS out. This looked fine really, it must be worn but the chain wasn't disappearing into it.

New RMS awaiting install with Gixxer's install tool at the ready:

xXVWvuU.jpg

Slide it on (I had to cut out the install tube to clear the roll pin)

LaLj9Zv.jpg

Drive home with the tool lent by Gixxer to exactly 13mm deep:
x1r6fNB.jpg

LUKy me, new flywheel.
VN2EsPW.jpg

New bolts too, tightened to just 25nm and then marked and turned 120 degrees further. Can just see my flywheel lock made of scrap:
eovYSvi.jpg

Cleaned flywheel and cover plate with brake cleaner. love this stuff.

Cover plate with new e10 bolts:
DC28IQh.jpg

Old release bearing guide tube, worn slight grooves! This was replaced with new, the bolts put up a fight! I lightly greased it.
mdWPq0n.jpg

More brake cleaner actions and new clutch release hardware fitted up:
ZnlMm9g.jpg

No more pics as it was FREEZING. Got the gearbox into position, jacked up a bit, fitted up the new clutch slave (with plastic end) and hose. crack the bleed nipple open as otherwise you fight the system. man. Grease from clutch kit on splines and mainshaft splines.

Jack up the gearbox and simply slide home.

Yeah right, I wrestled with that thing on my back for 2 hours, up a bit down a bit. engine up, engine down wiggle around.

Eventually it goes on and you can pull it home with the super long bolts.

Special tools: RMS installer, e10 socket for clutch cover.

I think I have frostbite in my feet. The rear mount can wait.

"In the snow"

You're crazy, but I like it. :grin:

I was whinging about the cold, just standing chatting while collecting mine yesterday. You wouldn't catch me crawling underneath it.

You're on the home straight now though. Great job! :thumb:

Marky911 said:
You're on the home straight now though. Great job! :thumb:

Thanks for the encouragement, it really does mean a lot when you sometimes wish you hadn't started! It was hovering around freezing tonight after work, but there is a window of daylight to do a bit after work.

Got my painted gearbox brackets reinstalled, and the last of the gearbox mounts, weirdly for no apparent reason the lower two are odd, one is triple square and one is a not and bolt.

Engine back up to rear mounts and the jacks left in just in case can be wheeled out for the first time in months.

VxGkueF.jpg

Left to do:
Waterpump (there a little play but no leak in existing)
Belt idler pulley bearings

Buzz off corrosion on sills and jack points and paint / cavity wax
Reinstall undertrays (new fixings) and brace bars
Reinstall front caliper and bleed brakes and clutch
REFILL WITH OIL (must not forget this)

Future work:
Install 997 shifter mechanism
Pluck up the courage to replace exhaust manifold
Install fire extinguisher
Deal with corrosion behind door striker
Discs and pads don't have loads left in them

coullstar said:
Good work, doing a lot of similar tidying bits as I just did. I'll be honest I'm not tackling clutch etc as don't have time/tools to do it. Fair effort.

Thanks! I just blindly decided what the heck it can't be that hard can it, just unbolting old bits and bolting new bits up.

To be fair, removing and replacing the gearbox / clutch / flywheel was easy. Its just a big, heavy lump. I reckon I could have it done in a full day "next time". Like I say the only experience I have is of maintaining my own cars, previously the most extreme maintenance was removing and replacing a 306 gearbox when I borked the diff in it.

Its the faffing around with brake pipes and AOS that has sucked up loads of time.

Tools wise it has just been the usual 1/4" and 1/2" socket set, torque wrench I already had, a few specific bits and pieces that were cheap, brake flare tool £35, 2x decent trolley jacks, making the jack plate / camlock and borrowing Gixxer996's rms tool / bush installer.

I like to think I have saved thousands in labour. One member just paid £1800 for his brake lines alone.

Well done that man!! In the snow, laying under cars is no fun at all. I'm very fortunate that a friend is a classic car enthusiast/builder and another friend has a garage and mot station so I've access to lifts and indoors. I was moaning how cold it was last night doing my wife's car brakes because the garage roller door was open!! Feel a bit guilty now!!!!

jond58 said:
Well done that man!! In the snow, laying under cars is no fun at all. I'm very fortunate that a friend is a classic car enthusiast/builder and another friend has a garage and mot station so I've access to lifts and indoors. I was moaning how cold it was last night doing my wife's car brakes because the garage roller door was open!! Feel a bit guilty now!!!!

Ah its not so bad, just layer up and wear gloves!

Can't wait to drive it again now, the Freelander 2 I have borrowed is numb on my commute.

c9j6oNQl.jpg

:driving:

wasz said:
Future work:

Pluck up the courage to replace exhaust manifold

I recently had my manifolds replaced and kept the old ones - if you ever need to borrow the old mounts as a guide for drilling those nasty bolts PM me!

I remember some years ago doing a head gasket on a Rover 214, it was a very cold breezy day and I was working on my parents drive. It started snowing half way through the job and my left sleeve was covered in snow.

After I completed the job I found out the water that had been coming from the exhaust hadn't stopped and it was actually the catalytic converter NOT the head gasket. :x :x :x :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

infrasilver said:
I remember some years ago doing a head gasket on a Rover 214, it was a very cold breezy day and I was working on my parents drive. It started snowing half way through the job and my left sleeve was covered in snow.

After I completed the job I found out the water that had been coming from the exhaust hadn't stopped and it was actually the catalytic converter NOT the head gasket. :x :x :x :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Character building!!

eabeukes said:
I recently had my manifolds replaced and kept the old ones - if you ever need to borrow the old mounts as a guide for drilling those nasty bolts PM me!

Thanks for the kind offer! Although I hear there is a jig available to do this, I'm hoping I can borrow one when the time comes.

How long did it take you to drill your out? How many studs came out?

I'm in £1000 in parts so far this job. Ouch.

However I just checked the OPC price for flywheel alone. £1005 inc vat. So I have good value really.....so I tell myself.

wasz said:
Thanks for the kind offer! Although I hear there is a jig available to do this, I'm hoping I can borrow one when the time comes.

Managed to get all bar one out normally (penetrating oil every few hours for the 48 hours prior to starting the job, Freeze spray on them to shrink) but the last one a local chap did for me in under an hour.

The Stomski jig is available to rent or purchase (I think theyre north of £300) hence keeping my headers just in case - apparently its just as easy to use these as a DIY jig

eabeukes said:
wasz said:

Managed to get all bar one out normally (penetrating oil every few hours for the 48 hours prior to starting the job, Freeze spray on them to shrink) but the last one a local chap did for me in under an hour.

The Stomski jig is available to rent or purchase (I think theyre north of £300) hence keeping my headers just in case - apparently its just as easy to use these as a DIY jig

What did yours look like to start with? Blobs or bolts? I might well be in touch!

Cheers.

wasz said:
What did yours look like to start with? Blobs or bolts? I might well be in touch!

Cheers.

Bit of both - feel free to PM me if you want them.

Righto,

I bled my brakes and clutch yesterday with my gunsons pressure bleeder. No leaks.

I checked my water pump, seems to be smooth and no play so am leaving that for another day.

However I had a close look at discs and pads. With the result I came in the house and ordered:

Full set of Textar pads (via eBay)
Full set of Discs and handbrake shoes (via autodoc)

I will also need new rear tyres soonish.....

Still plugging away at this. On the home straight now. Might get it taxed in March....

I hooked up the gear cables and bolted up the axles.

Left side rear sill end after a poke with a screwdriver:

0EDCNmN.jpg

Hmmm right side is worse:

VPRmN94.jpg

Buzzed off with a knot wheel in the grinder:

XJCVVxY.jpg

akrQzOz.jpg

Porsche underseal is very tenacious stuff, even when water has got under and rusted the metal. See the sill end around the jack point is a little, erm fragmented - this was doused in mud held by the plastic trim. Still solid higher up though.

Doused in Phosphoric acid

JaPGBqk.jpg

Time for POR15 tomorrow, then loads of cavity wax for inside the sills.

Seriously everyone, remove these rear ward plastic covers, check for rust, pop your sill end caps out and douse in cavity wax before its too late!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back