Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best Budget drivers / fun car for very little money !!

adamw said:
MaxA said:
1st gen MINI Cooper S

Just purchased a little R53 CS as a daily in exchange for the boring but very trustworthy focus ive owned for 9 yrs.
Always fancied one as a daily.
Quite looking forward to hearing the supercharger whine :thumb:

If you want whine, you need the so called stealth cold air intake from Orranje: a big K&N cone filter in the stock airbox with an extra air feed. And if you spin the supercharger faster with a reduced pulley (most run 15 or 17% smaller), you really get some whine.

MaxA said:
adamw said:
MaxA said:
1st gen MINI Cooper S

Just purchased a little R53 CS as a daily in exchange for the boring but very trustworthy focus ive owned for 9 yrs.

If you want whine, you need the so called stealth cold air intake from Orranje: a big K&N cone filter in the stock airbox with an extra air feed. And if you spin the supercharger faster with a reduced pulley (most run 15 or 17% smaller), you really get some whine.

:grin: :thumb:

Sounds great but I'll see how I go on modding the mini as only really a daily!
There's some stuff that'll have to take priority on the 96T 1st
:thumbs:

adamw said:
MaxA said:
adamw said:
MaxA said:
1st gen MINI Cooper S

:grin: :thumb:

Sounds great but I'll see how I go on modding the mini as only really a daily!
There's some stuff that'll have to take priority on the 96T 1st
:thumbs:

I think the CAI costs about 100gbp and it's a straightforward DIY. A pulley, new auxiliary belt and some fresh 'colder' spark plugs might cost 200gbp all in, and would need installation by a competent mechanic, but it adds a fair chunk of power and mid range torque, without the need for a remap. And it's a lot less expensive than modifying a 911... :frustrated:

I'm revisiting this thread since it has now been 'brought to my attention' that my boy will soon be old enough to start driving legally on the road.

And since it's winter, it would be a good time to try and find an old MX5 for him. I reckon that he should start with something that he needs to learn to drive properly, and which would need some basic maintenance to keep it on the road. In other words, his own project, with cheap and readily available parts, low Insurance.

I've no intention of just funding some piece of crap 1.1 Opel Corsa or some such. Complete waste of time.

Instead I'm looking into the NB (ie Mk 2 from 1998-2005) with a modest little 1.6 so it's adequately powered, and hopefully less likely to have been extensively modified, tracked to within an inch of its life, stanced and generally arsed about with, but hopefully still looked after by some bloke in a tweed hat for his wifey. It should still have ABS, maybe an LSD, the glass rear window, and no rust issues.

Any observations from the team?

Nothing particularly useful to add other than a friend lent me his 1.6 mk2 mx5 a year or so ago and it was absolutely brilliant. Felt spot on to drive, every control perfectly judged. Brilliant fun at much slower speed than I thought I was going, so perfect for your lad! He's a lucky chap if you get him one.

Rust seems to be an issue- my friend's one sadly has been condemned due to chassis rust, despite excellent cosmetic appearances, so inspect carefully on a ramp. Low miles too. In fact it would be a good project for someone who knows how to weld.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back