Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which performance engine mounts

Phil 997 said:
nikos525 said:
Phil I'll be interested in how the Function first mounts feel - waiting for your feedback :D I've read a little blurb, mostly from 996 owners.
As I understand these are OEM mounts just with a bit of urethane in the gap, but my wonder is how long before these give up? Will they last less/longer than the semi solid mounts?

Well Nick , I am expecting them to last as long as a new set of OE mounts as he told me they use new mounts not used ones . pumping urathaine into the mounts isnt a new concept and I have read posts from guys that have done a DIY version cleared out the oily stuff in them and filled with urathaine but these are the first done for you fit and forget versions I have seen so I had to try them. :grin:
Whats the view of them in the 996 blurb you have read mate is it good or bad :thumb:
It's all good, and as you pointed out less NVH :thumbs:

Thats reassuring to know mate thanks :thumb:

+1 for the RSS mounts
transformed my car, and extremely well engineered, took about an hour to install on the drive, no more cabin noise than the originals, but reduced the 'pendulum' effect on the back end when pushing on and made the car feel all around 'tighter'. :thumb:

Attachments

• porsche_rss_tarmac_engine_mounts_shark_werks_136.jpg
    porsche_rss_tarmac_engine_mounts_shark_werks_136.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,224
  • rss_mounts_underside_engineering_119.jpg
    rss_mounts_underside_engineering_119.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,224
Another +1 for the RSS mounts.
pros:
Super easy diy,
Noticeable difference in improvement,
Not too harsh for passengers,
Good resale value.

Cons,
Non really, I guess price? but they are not horrendously expensive.

Please update your findings Phil as the Function First look very interesting indeed.

I went with the RSS semi solids. There was a bit of vibration at idle in neutral, and just below 3000rpm, but it seems to have gone away in this winter.

They really improve control over the engine, and barely add any NVH.

Great upgrade.

Phil 997 said:
redbaron1973 said:
Put the 964RS mounts on mine over the weekend. Not a huge difference in NVH but car feels tighter. Shift quality still not great but suspect the shifter needs some tlc

have you got a stock shifter or a SSK mate , if your happy with the stock throw then the GT3 shifter is the one to get with metal bushings and bolt action feel
my problem is I like the SSK throw but dont like the slop so options for me are fit a OE SSK and the function first shift right kit that has metal bushings , but it wont fit my aftermarket SSK without being a PITA to do. So I am on the lookout for a used OE SSK. :thumb:

stock so far.

MaxA said:
I went with the RSS semi solids. There was a bit of vibration at idle in neutral, and just below 3000rpm, but it seems to have gone away in this winter.

They really improve control over the engine, and barely add any NVH.

Great upgrade.

They do bed in Max I noticed that with my rennline on the gen1 once they bed in the NVH decreases quite significantly :thumb:

I have the Function First mounts fitted to my 2007 C4S. I was concerned
about the other aftermarket options being too harsh, but had to replace
my ageing OE parts.

No complaints about the Ff items, but can't compare them to any of the
other options of course. My commute is 280 miles round trip.

Oh, I also have the DSC controller, which may also make some difference?

HTH

Phil 997 said:
nikos525 said:
Just reading up on the different mounts and came across these:
http://nyppd.com/all-parts/nyppd-en...-996-997-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09/
Also claiming to have less NVH than the RSS mounts & a lifetime warranty!
The only thing I don't like is the NYPPD graphics.
I might give them a go :D

those look very similar to the wevo ones interesting about using 50% more urathaine than competitors. they are quite a bit cheaper as well

I'll wait for the NYPPD mounts to be back in stock and go for these, I'm trying to understand how they are using 50% more urethane but I can't quite see any difference in the pictures :?:

OK today fitted the function first semi semi solid engine mounts , they are new OE mounts filled with eurathane .
Fitting was very easy as they are OE ,my first impression is theres as much NVH as when I fitted the rennline semi solids to my gen1. there certainly isnt No NVH, its noticable even on tick over even my tech agreed on this .
I was unable to give them more than a couple of miles road test today as my clutch has started to slip.
Massive improvement in gear change and the sticky gear change with the SSK has gone.
Yes the swingy back end feels better.
I will give them a bit of time to settle down and bed in as even the semi solids settle and bed in a bit over time. I am hoping they settle down more than the semi solids and the NVH stops. I cant compare them to what fitting straight OE mounts would feel like as I havent ever done that so they might even be a bit harsh when new comparred to stretched 7/8 yr old mounts .
Whats my thoughts - If they don't settle after a few weeks the old OE mounts will go back on as they were in perfect condition and I intentionally was trying to avoid the NVH from semi solids, its only mild but I didnt want it on my gen2 as the gen2 is smoother and more refined than the gen1 so what was good on the gen1 and worked well, won't IMO suit the gen2 .
My initial thoughts are I am dissapointed that they are not significantly better on NVH than semi solids but in fairness will give them a chance over a few weeks /miles in the hope they settle down and become what I had hoped for which was an OE feel but with less swinging about of the engine and better gear changes.
I will update the thread with my final verdict in due course.

Phil 997 said:
OK today fitted the function first semi semi solid engine mounts , they are new OE mounts filled with eurathane .
Fitting was very easy as they are OE ,my first impression is theres as much NVH as when I fitted the rennline semi solids to my gen1. there certainly isnt No NVH, its noticable even on tick over even my tech agreed on this .
I was unable to give them more than a couple of miles road test today as my clutch has started to slip.
Massive improvement in gear change and the sticky gear change with the SSK has gone.
I will give them a bit of time to settle down and bed in as even the semi solids settle and bed in a bit over time. I am hoping they settle down more than the semi solids and the NVH stops. I cant compare them to what fitting straight OE mounts would feel like as I havent ever done that so they might even be a bit harsh when new comparred to stretched 7/8 yr old mounts .
Whats my thoughts - If they don't settle after a few weeks the old OE mounts will go back on as they were in perfect condition and I intentionally was trying to avoid the NVH from semi solids, its only mild but I didnt want it on my gen2 as the gen2 is smoother and more refined than the gen1 so what was good on the gen1 and worked well, won't IMO suit the gen2 .
My initial thoughts are I am dissapointed that they are not significantly better on NVH than semi solids but in fairness will give them a chance over a few weeks /miles in the hope they settle down and become what I had hoped for which was an OE feel but with less swinging about of the engine and better gear changes.

Thanks for the comments Phil, early days as you say, they may well settle.

Mines booked into OPC in a couple of weeks having a slightly saggy O/S mount being assessed for a warranty replacement from its 67k life. I'm waiting to see what they say and whether its covered under warranty before deciding another direction.

Phil 997 said:

Thanks for the update Phil, I feel you on the NVH, that's what I'm trying to avoid to, well as much as I can.
I'm still waiting for the NYPPD ones to be in stock, I had emailed the company as to when they are expecting more stock but no reply, not a good sign as to their customer service dept. :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back