Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster S 987 - Convertible Roof - Dead? Help Please!!

Silverstar128

Hi

I am hoping someone will be able to help please. I'm totally befuddled.
The convertible roof mechanism on my 2008 Boxster S 987.1 has totally stopped working i.e. when the latch mechanism is flipped down nothing happens, the windows do not drop, nothing; when you then press the roof open/close switch, again, nothing. There are no error messages on the dash, no warning lights, it's as though all the functionality has been removed and the car doesn't know it's a convertible!

Any ideas what has happened here?

I've done the obvious things like check the fuse (is there a relay on the 987 that I should be checking?), disconnect the battery and wait, I have even replaced the open/close switch, checked the roof mechanism for water ingress etc. - all is fine. All the other electronics on the car function perfectly.

This might be coincidental , but I removed and replaced the PCM unit in July 2017 - but that was 6 months prior to this problem - but could I have tripped/damaged a connection during that install - is there anything (wires/connections) behind the centre console that could cause such an issue? I last had the roof down on a sunny December day, everything was fine then. I've owneed the car since Aug 2010, it's been maintained perfectly, the car has been excellent until now. Please help if you can. Many many thanks!

Jacob.

Interesting comment .. its like the car doesn,t know its a convertible ..

Yup that can happen ..

Normally after a flat battery / jump start but can happen at other times ..

There is a codeing option in the rear control unit which if its not set as a Boxster then the roof will not work ( same CU in the 997 so its a multi use cu ) .

First thing is to check the codeing and for that you will need a tester or a garage im afraid .

There can be other things that stop it from working but this is the first thing i would be looking at .

rear cu is also under the passenger seat which is the main place water gets to when the rear drains block .. worth just checking theres no damp rear carpets or wet under the seat .

If mine's ever played up on the 996 it's the microswitch above the rear view mirror in the centre that the latch actuates when it open/closes. Don't know if the Boxster is the same :dont know:

alex yates said:
If mine's ever played up on the 996 it's the microswitch above the rear view mirror in the centre that the latch actuates when it open/closes. Don't know if the Boxster is the same :dont know:

I`ve had the opposite on my Boxster, when putting the roof up and locking the latch the windows didn`t rise up to the top, a few lock, unlocks on the roof latch did the trick :thumb:

Silverstar128, do the windows drop when you pull the handles to open the doors as they are supposed to ?
Passenger door too ?

The window up/down end positions can need resetting after a flat battery or battery replacement, on both windows close the window and hold the button up for 10 seconds, then down and hold the button down for 10 seconds on each window to reset them.

Again after no use for a long period of time my passenger door handle needs a few operations to wake it up :grin:

Indeed it is , its a single switch that goes straight to the rear cu which if the cu doesnt see it will not drop the windows or allow the roof to work so that is a very good place to start .

I took my lead from the point that he says he has replaced that switch .. that still doesnt prove its not a wireing fault from that switch though so that would need checking .

My hunch is from experience .. ive had a mechanic call me over in the workshop saying the roof has stopped working before .. i checked the codeing and sure enough the rear cu no longer new which car it was .. hence the roof will not work .

No idea why this happens .. my theory is a flat or low charge battery .. or just a computer doing what computers do best .. going tits up !

996 and 986 and this switch would be my first though along with yours .. 987 and its more computer operated than hard wired .. sigh ..

Things used to be simple when software didnt stop items from working .

Hi Guys

Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate the help.

I've not changed the top latch microswitch, only the open/close switch next to the handbrake - but this made no difference. I've bought the top latch swtich now, so I'll install on the weekend.

All the other electronics work perfectly, no issues with the windows dropping etc. Although I'll try those reset tips later tonight anyway!

The Rear Control Unit sounds expensive - any ideas on cost or replacement? Is this something that an independent garage could do or would this be a trip to Porsche?

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers
Jacob.

Its a codeing check not a replacement you need , 5 min job with a tester to check the rear control unit is coded correctly .

An indy would be the cheapest if you dont have a tester .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back