Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Interesting about the tensioners. My car has slight chain rattle for about a second (probably even less than that)if it has been stood for a few days. Is changing them a straightforward job?

Thanks lads. :thumb:

g911 - The tensioners themselves simply unscrew like a large bolt, however you must lock your timing first.

Our resident winter Olympian Wasz, spent a freezing cold weekend on his and has a great thread running covering his work and in particular the locking of the cams etc. -

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=124928&start=80

Changing a tensioner may get rid of your rattle or you could waste time and money for nothing.
My Indy looks after a 996 still with its original owner and it has done the start up rattle since new. It had a load of work at Porsche during its early days but they couldn't get it to disappear. It's still fine though all these years later.
If you ever get the chance, listen to a 996 GT3 do a cold start. They sound positively knackered. :grin:
If you can source some good used tensioners then it's not a big job for an Indy to fit them for you, but I wouldn't worry.
I'd never have chased my rattle but my Indy happened to stumble upon the weak tensioner. :thumb:

Cheers.

I'll most probably ignore it then. It's just one of those little things that is annoying rather than worrying. I've had the car since last summer and not driven it much. I'm going to make a real effort to put on some miles this year.
:)

Quick boring update before the fun starts.

I say fun, but that usually means something that starts out as fun whilst planning and gathering the parts, quickly followed by stress as it goes terribly pear-shaped, followed by eventually sorting it out and being able to enjoy the results. :wink:

So yesterday was MOT time. I'd had it booked for a couple of weeks, so despite the snow I had to go. Will elaborate in a moment.

The local digger guys worked hard over Friday and Saturday to open the roads to civilisation.

Luckily my car was at Craig's (as we'd been fitting his Ohlins to his car at mine over two weekends) and his house is nearer the MOT place anyway, hence I only had to plough through any remaining snow drifts in my old Volvo, not the 996.

I arrived for the MOT on time and it went without issue. (So it should I've only done 380 miles since the last one! Pathetic. :D )

One advisory left from last year, the front drop link. Bit annoying as I have a mint used set to fit asap, as well as a brand new set for when I do a massive suspension overhaul next winter.
Anyway, we couldn't get it fitted due to the snow so nevermind.

Next year will be zero advisories though. :D

As I've said, I couldn't cancel the mot as it runs out this month and the car is going to be pretty much off the road but still needs to be road legal, to take it to and from places.

It's bodywork time!

Booked in on Monday 19th March, with a great local lad. He's very reasonably priced but does a cracking job and enjoys working on anything a bit different or special.

So I have two weekends to strip the car. We haven't decided how far to go yet, as it was originally both front wings, door catch areas and wing mirror covers.
That is snowballing now though because as with any 20 year old car still wearing its original paint, you can find fault with every panel if you want to. Things such as minor tiny chips etc.

We'll get it stripped and take it from there. I'd love it brought back to perfect, but then I'll get all precious, so I'm aiming for 'Good enough to park in a show (but not compete), but not so perfect I don't want to use it as intended".
Then if I still have it in 10 or 20 years time I'll do an all singing, all dancing restoration.

I've hopefully got my dent guy coming out next week to get out as many of the small imperfections as he can before paint, as you want to be putting as little filler on a car as possible. I had him out when I bought it 2 years ago but have spotted a couple more tiny ones since then.

Anyway, exciting but slightly dubious times ahead.
I have never been 100% happy with any paint work I've had done on any car.

That's the nature of refinishing though, you are always going to be able to spot things if you know what you're looking at, short of a full bare shell rebuild.
I've had work off my guy before though and it is usually superb.

Here comes the next headache then. Wish me luck. :grin:

Oh, and in other news, because Craig now has his Ohlins, his "as new" KWV3's are now mine. Mwuhahahaha! :D

Yep C, I'd usually leave all the cosmetics until last, but I want the car looking how I want by May. To be honest it's pretty much all cosmetics now anyway, apart from suspension.

I think I'll just chuck the KWs on for summer then do the whole lot properly in winter.
And yes KWs are great. Craig's car drove amazingly well anyway. I'll be interested to see just how much the Ohlins actually improve things.

:thumb:

Nothing much to report at the moment. Car is at the body shop. I got it back but wasn't happy with a couple of defects I found when building it back up.
Painter is great usually and agrees it isn't upto standard so he's doing it again.

Collection number 2 next weekend. Fingers crossed.

So what's the point of this post?

Well I was going to wait until I cover my interior as a whole project but I've just received some pics from the guy re-trimming my GT3 replica seats and I'm very happy. Finally at least one job on the car that has gone right. :grin:

He couldn't match the grain perfectly, despite scouring all his sample files but they're pretty damn close and a massive improvement over black which simply wouldn't have worked in my grey interior.

So these were as I bought them. Black leather -

Now -

They were done by Simon at Hide N Seat. Top lad and top quality work.
More pics of mine and all the other work he's done, on his Facebook page.
He's also retrimming my handbrake grip and gear lever in black alcantara to match my cup wheel. I should say wannabe Cup wheel as I couldn't part with £550 for the Porsche one so I've purchased a standard momo 07. Apart from the litttle Porsche script engraved on the genuine one they are identical. Not similar, identical.

So other than this it'll be slow progress for a while. I have pretty much all parts to get the car how I want for this year. That includes interior parts, Craig's KWV3s, discs, pads, caliper rebuild parts etc. Oh and GT3 kit and wheels obviously. My wheels are freshly refurbished and stunning.

First is to get the car back though but then it may sit for a few weeks until I get my garden finished. I had landscapers booked but couldn't bear to part with the money so I've roped Craig in and we are doing it. The money I save will buy me a motorbike. I've had the itch badly lately even though I thought I was over them.

So next update won't be soon.
Good luck to everyone else who's frantically tinkering away to be ready for summer. It's almost here. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
The money I save will buy me a motorbike. I've had the itch badly lately even though I thought I was over them.

Jesus, I thought me and Plynchy were blood brothers...but f**k me, I need a bike back in my life too :sad:

I got grey interior too...I am going to try black seats as I think they will stand out more...just the driver seat so the kids can still get in though :thumb:

:grin:

I sold my R1 in 2012 and have been too busy to miss it since. I'm really hankering after one again though. It's always the same once spring comes. Great roads around my village so it's full of bikes, classic cars, you name it.
The Moto GP season doesn't help either. :wink:

As for the seats, I originally contacted Simon just to have have the centre cushions done grey but once I saw his work I went for the whole lot.
It's unreal how much buckets alter the feel of a car. Have fun with yours. You'll no doubt be raiding your pile of genuine ones though you jammy git. :grin:

Wow!

They look terrific Mark. Been coveting a set of those myself, but same as you I don't have a black interior. Its a far more 'interesting' nephrite green. Which I actually quite like. Well, its not that bad anyway.

While I don't think I'd trim up new Gt3 rep. seats in nephrite, I might redo some of the stitching in green.

Let us know how the KW v3's compare to the Ohlins. Though Craig will be sick as a dog if the KW's are better..... :eek:

Hi James,

I think the rarer colours will become cool in years to come, like Pasha trim is now. :wink:
Like you say you can just tie the stitching in if you don't want to go the whole hog.

I'm sure the Ohlins will be better than KWs but I know the KWs are stunning enough. Craig's car ride beautifully with them on. He's off to get his alignment done tomorrow for the Ohlins but we'll be making the pilgrimage to Centre Gravity soon enough.

Glad your rebuild is going smoothly anyway. You'll have a good summer when it's back. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
:grin:

I sold my R1 in 2012 and have been too busy to miss it since. I'm really hankering after one again though. It's always the same once spring comes. Great roads around my village so it's full of bikes, classic cars, you name it.
The Moto GP season doesn't help either. :wink:

As for the seats, I originally contacted Simon just to have have the centre cushions done grey but once I saw his work I went for the whole lot.
It's unreal how much buckets alter the feel of a car. Have fun with yours. You'll no doubt be raiding your pile of genuine ones though you jammy git. :grin:

Not mine...my mates... :wink:

Had my 5PW for 10 years + 3 days exactly.....for the last 3 weeks I have been looking at 5PW's but not found another like mine :sad:

Put 3,000 miles on it over 10 years, ohlins shock, damper, Harris everything, Graves Racing parts, Blue flame exhaust, cowl, double bubble, Harris parts (just 'cos they had the same name as Ford Harris dudes)...everything...

If only my Delorean was still working, damn Flux Capacitor :frustrated:

But after my trip to India I am thinking KTM scrambler type bike and import it so I can use it there

:thumb:

8)

Sounds great. As does your trip.
I had the original (4XV). I also had mine for ten years. Longest I've owned anything. Have you seen the price of the original red/white ones now? :nooo:

I'm thinking similar to you, either a retro scrambler or Cafe racer. Trying to avoid super bikes as I'll be a bit rusty. I'll probably wait until next year now as I've still got the car to sort then enjoy. I'll buy around xmas and fettle it by spring. :thumb:

There's a guy in my village with a BMW trailie thing. He goes everywhere. He's done Australia both ways round, India, Iceland. I hope I get to that stage in life with the time and financial means.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back