Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Noisy 911 997 (2005)

OPC prices WOW as others have suggested I would heading towards Hartech, Ken at 9E, Autofarm and Sid at Porschetech all great reputations . OPC are just fitters of parts IMHO not mechanics as has been said by others Hartech offer many options to repair the parts that actually that are failing unlike OPC who's blanket response is fit a new engine
good luck you may find that these guys offer you some different options other than a complete new engine :dont know:

Another recommendation for Hartech :thumb:

Give them a ring as they will rebuild with betterments

mzmini said:
OPC prices WOW as others have suggested I would heading towards Hartech, Ken at 9E, Autofarm and Sid at Porschetech all great reputations . OPC are just fitters of parts IMHO not mechanics as has been said by others Hartech offer many options to repair the parts that actually that are failing unlike OPC who's blanket response is fit a new engine
good luck you may find that these guys offer you some different options other than a complete new engine :dont know:

Yes I agree. He could have just the 3 cylinders lined and new ims for around 8k isn't it ?

damn OP sorry to hear. let us know the results from the borescope.

Finally got a result from my local Indy. Looks like one cylinder but once he opens it will find out. For one cylinder he's quoted £5.5k plus vat additional cylinders will obviously up the price but he said to a max. of £7.5k + vat. Also said to him while it's opened up to let me know if anything else needs doing. Might as well as it will only cost parts.
I had some silly offers of around £14k from dealers to buy as is but sure they'll drop me even further once they hear it. Anyway given the guy go ahead to repair. He's giving a 12 month 10K mileage warranty, 2 weeks for completion. I did look at options and wanted others up north to do the job but distance too far, didn't want to have to travel 4 hours north if there's a problem in the future. Now it's time to see if I can get the money together and hoping to get the car back noise free.

D15 - I echo all the others comments to get Hartech to do the repairs not your 'local indy'. There are lots of examples where owners have spent thousands at local indy's only to have the engine fail again. A 997 with a Hartech rebuild will hold its value and be much more re-sellable.

I am not in any way connected to Hartech but have been on this forum long enough to know that this is the right answer

PS1000 said:
D15 - I echo all the others comments to get Hartech to do the repairs not your 'local indy'. There are lots of examples where owners have spent thousands at local indy's only to have the engine fail again. A 997 with a Hartech rebuild will hold its value and be much more re-sellable.

I am not in any way connected to Hartech but have been on this forum long enough to know that this is the right answer
:yeah:

...although it does depend who the local indy is. Anyone we might know?

+1 which indy :?:

I guess D15 has made up his mind to get the car repaired by his Indy then he's happy with. Also it's about price aswell I guess, if it suits his budget then that's a route to take maybe there's a budget of how much to spend!!.. but hope all goes well with it etc.

J.

Thanks all.

Not so much budget but distance. I'm 20 minutes away so can pop in over the next two weeks to see how they're getting on.

I'll speak to them and see they're happy for me to add their name to this forum.

A lot to be said for being local so you can visit... just make sure they are doing the proper job with decent linings (Hartech do exchange blocks which may be worth exploring, your guy could fit it), plus offering any pre-emptive 'future proofing' while they have it in bits.

Robertb said:
...although it does depend who the local indy is. Anyone we might know?

This ^^^

There are a few pretty good engine builders out there other than Hartech, (Autofarm, Ninemiester, redtek etc). My engine was rebuilt by Matt at Porschacare, but the block was sent to to Hartech for them to fit 6 new 100mm Nikasil liners to make it a 3.9L, then returned to Matt for re-assemble. I've since done 10k miles, including a 6 day Alps road trip, (high altitude, hot temps and high revs :mrgreen:) plus 3 trackdays and engine is running beautifully.

3.9L sounds interesting have you had the engine dyno'd?

What BHP / Torque figures are quoted for the over bore ? and can you feel a different in the real world on the road ??

Steve997 said:
3.9L sounds interesting have you had the engine dyno'd?

What BHP / Torque figures are quoted for the over bore ? and can you feel a different in the real world on the road ??

Not had it dyno'd and to be honest real world on the road I doubt there is very little difference between a 3.8 and my 3.9. I can't say I noticed that much difference. I just thought if I'm spending >£10k on a rebuild then I wanted something different so went 3.9 as there price was not much more. I sent Hartech the block and a new set of Wossner 100mm forged pistons and they order a set of custom 100mm Nikasil liners which they fitted to the block. Took an extra few weeks for them to do it and unfortunately when the liners finally arrived they were slightly out of spec. (The piston to cylinder clearances ended up being slightly larger than I'd requested/piston manufacturer recommended, which is possibly why I have a very slight tapping noise at low idle since the rebuild :roll:) Forged pistons do expand more and both Grant and Baz said its better to be slighly slacker than tighter, especially as the car will be going on track sometimes. Other than that engine has performed faultlessly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back