Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Input needed to choose which Porsche

RJW1881

In a couple of months it's time for my wife to change her car (currently a 228i convertible BMW). We have a budget of about £50k. We test drove the new merc GLC 43 AMG today and was disappointed with the noise &performance when compared to other AMG models. Also disaponted with projected values of 50% of list in 3 years! I compared it to my 997.1 turbo (manual) that I bought 3 years ago for a similar price and is actually now worth more!

This got us thinking and it turns out my wife has always wanted a Porsche of her own. She did want something more practical than the Beemer as she will be using it as a daily (school runs with two kids under 6 etc...) hence the GLC. It turns out she is prepared to sacrifice some practicality for her dream car and as I have a Discovery 4 as a daily, when the situation arises we have a big car available.

So here is the question, would a 997.2 pdk have all the necessary refinement and technology for a daily (my 997.1 doesn't even have Bluetooth!) or do we need to be looking for a 991.1?

Also which variant would you punt for? My wife has the following requirements:- enough power to overtake with confidence, a vocal exhaust, pdk/auto box, heated seats.

Thanks in advance -Paul

If the budget allows then i would say a 991 ..

But may i just throw in there the Panamera or the Cayenne as possible alternatives .. the Cayenne imho is an excellent choice with many spec options depending on needs .

If token rear seats aren't a requirement I'd seriously be considering a late 6 cylinder 981 Cayman S over any £50k 911.

997s are great 'drivers cars' but the 981 Cayman is far more modern and for £50k you'd get a much newer, better spec'd, lower mileage car.

991s are only just hitting starting to hit low £50ks so there aren't many around within your budget.

EDIT: Obviously the 2 kids issue might make my suggestion completely duff. :oops:

Gen 2 3.6 are pretty much fully depreciated and you'd have change from £50k. 991s are still going down albeit quite slowly.

Demort said:
If the budget allows then i would say a 991 ..

But may i just throw in there the Panamera or the Cayenne as possible alternatives .. the Cayenne imho is an excellent choice with many spec options depending on needs .

Cheers but Cayenne and Panamera have already discounted on looks, she has her heart set on a 911. Can't say I mind as they do nothing for me visually either.

If you hunt around a bit there are 991.1 at under 50k but they are still depreciating so she wont lose 50% like the merc and beemer would but it will loose a bit I think and especially as you are likely to be in a non S lowish spec 991 for under 50k
whereas she could have a 997.2S high spec pretty much any colour she fancies for under 50k at present although they are moving up in price.

What tech would she want from a newer car that a 997.2 cant offer as pretty much anything she would want it available as an aftermarket bolt on

You have a turbo and a 4x4 so maybe she needs a Cab to complete the set :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
If you hunt around a bit there are 991.1 at under 50k but they are still depreciating so she wont lose 50% like the merc and beemer would but it will loose a bit I think and especially as you are likely to be in a non S lowish spec 991 for under 50k
whereas she could have a 997.2S high spec pretty much any colour she fancies for under 50k at present although they are moving up in price.

What tech would she want from a newer car that a 997.2 cant offer as pretty much anything she would want it available as an aftermarket bolt on

You have a turbo and a 4x4 so maybe she needs a Cab to complete the set :thumb:

Cheers Phil. All good points. Neither of us like the cab but a 997.2 pdk c2s coupe could well be the order of the day.

Used my c2s as a daily for 4 years/50k miles/365 days a year. Totally useable daily

pcat said:
Used my c2s as a daily for 4 years/50k miles/365 days a year. Totally useable daily

me too the gen1 did the same and lived outside and I plan to do the same with the gen2 :thumb: despite what some think these cars are not made of paper mashe and are better and less probamatic if driven regularly :thumb: :thumb:

just bought a 997.2 C2S PDK as a daily driver, it has everything i need including heated bladder, envy-tronic & look-at-me-o-matic.

missing Bluetooth music streaming but that's an £80 fix from ebay :thumbs:

I've got a 997.2 as a daily and it's perfectly fine, however if I had your budget I'd be going for a 991. Will be a little bit nicer as a daily in my opinion.

A 997.2 C4S with PSE and a centre silencer delete should do the job. A 991 would be an improvement, but easily an extra £20k.

The C4S cars seem to have better spec. Heated seats and wheel for a PDK unless it has the paddle wheel. 18 way seats are the nicest, but lack the cooling option of the more basic seats.

boardingnath997 said:
I've got a 997.2 as a daily and it's perfectly fine, however if I had your budget I'd be going for a 991. Will be a little bit nicer as a daily in my opinion.

+1 I love my 997.2 but as a weekender, I think as a daily I (and certainly the mrs) would choose a 991 everytime
Its roomier, more economical, cheaper tax and frankly a better car all round (just not the enthusiasts choice)

I think your wife would be happy with a 9972 Carrera or Carrera S PDK with Hayward & Scott, and the Tequipment/991.1 sports steering wheel... but maybe you could find a nice Targa within your budget (I'd guess they might be a bit easier to use daily as the rear hatch opens?).

But I'd get a move on: two children under six soon become two children under sixteen, a dog, and hobbies like ice hockey or sailing or some such with huge loads of kit to be moved around ... and you might have to use the Disco... :wack:

My 15 year old boy doesn't go in the back anymore: he's like a bamboo shooting up daily. :what:

RJW1881 said:
So here is the question, would a 997.2 pdk have all the necessary refinement and technology for a daily (my 997.1 doesn't even have Bluetooth!)

Yes

For bluetooth you need a 997.2 with the appropriate option (there are 2 - mobile phone prep is a straight bluetooth hands free whereas the full phone option supports the SIM access protocol and uses antennae in the car).

RJW1881 said:
or do we need to be looking for a 991.1?

No

RJW1881 said:
Also which variant would you punt for?

Even a standard 997.2 PDK Carrera comfortably meets the criteria. If it matters to you, one of those is also below the big step in the VED tax bands so will save you a couple of hundred quid a year if she finds 345hp (only 10 ponies short of the Gen 1 S) adequate for her needs.

Pay a wee bit more and get a GTS, I know its more, but it will pay dividends later on !! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back