Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help - Becker Radio, dead as!

jboy

Everyone hates a whinger and so apologies for this. I have just set taken the plunge into self-employment and am feeling particularly boracic so thought I would post here before taking my car to a garage.

The problem is simple - car laid up for 10 weeks, drove it tonight (3degrees, dark - couldnt wait any longer) and the good news is that the drive was fine, everything seemed in order mechanically BUT....

the radio flashed "Porsche". Then nothing. No amount of buttons pressed helped. Got home, pulled fuses D8 and D9 - waited. Turned car on. "Porsche" flashed again - then nothing.

Am I missing something or is my radio actually potentially borked?? IMS failure I have been expecting :) - but not this!

Help appreciated in advance..

Hmm .. if a fuse or wireing problem then it wouldnt say Porsche .. if a code problem then it would stick on the enter code screen ..

All ive got is a handover with a tester .. it kinda resets control units .. if that dont work then i would assume the radio has died .

Demort said:
Hmm .. if a fuse or wireing problem then it wouldnt say Porsche .. if a code problem then it would stick on the enter code screen ..

All ive got is a handover with a tester .. it kinda resets control units .. if that dont work then i would assume the radio has died .

Thanks - that is what I am afraid of. Weirdly, although the radio does not work the yellow backlight wont go off even after the ignition is turned off and car locked. The on button on the radio has no effect. Hmmm.

Y2K said:

Thanks - that is very interesting. I actually had my car under a cover and on a Ctek for 10 weeks until I drove it last night, the battery seemed bang on despite the cold weather.

It almost sounds like I should pull the Ctek, let the battery slowly drain to nothing - and then jump the car to see if that gets the stereo working again!

Not sure if you have tried it already, but disconnect the battery and leave it for a bit (also remove the stereo's front panel), then reconnect it and see what happens...... you never know. (Don't shut the front boot obviously :hand: )

Y2K said:
Not sure if you have tried it already, but disconnect the battery and leave it for a bit (also remove the stereo's front panel), then reconnect it and see what happens...... you never know. (Don't shut the front boot obviously :hand: )

I guess I thought pulling the fuses might have the same effect but it has to be worth trying so I will do so in the morning! Thanks...

jboy said:
Y2K said:

I guess I thought pulling the fuses might have the same effect but it has to be worth trying so I will do so in the morning! Thanks...

So - just tried that, and now my car wont start as the battery appears flat! What is going on!?!? AAAargh

jboy said:
jboy said:
Y2K said:

So - just tried that, and now my car wont start as the battery appears flat! What is going on!?!? AAAargh

The ctek did its job very quickly, strangely quickly given the battery *seemed* flat when I first tried the car, but anyhow the car starts now. Battery might be on the way out I guess. So I think the upshot is simply this - the radio is dead, long live the car. Time for a drive to the South Downs. See you...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back