Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''m back in a 911!!!.. 996 C2 project begins.

Today I have tidied up the disc bells,brake calipers and wheel bolts.

This afternoon I made a start on machine polishing the paint.
:thumbs:

You may have to move the Dart board
yikes.gif

:grin:

Looking good Kas,

as for the lights, I just personally don't like ambers. Having said that I could live with them on a non-aerokitted car, but if kitted it has to be clears, as per GT3.

Marky911 said:
Looking good Kas,

as for the lights, I just personally don't like ambers. Having said that I could live with them on a non-aerokitted car, but if kitted it has to be clears, as per GT3.

I have placed a wanted ad on here for a pair of amber rears,just as an experiment really as I intend to have an amber and clear set. :thumbs:

kas750 said:
Marky911 said:
Looking good Kas,

I have placed a wanted ad on here for a pair of amber rears,just as an experiment really as I intend to have an amber and clear set. :thumbs:

Call me new-fashioned but I'm with Mark. I always think the ambers just make the car look like an old Corgi toy.

Clear light pack all round, silver flasher bulbs all round and the internal orange filter removed. Keeps the car looking ice-cool.

All personal preference I suppose.

Same goes for reg plates too. No messy stuff like GB badge, garage name, postcode, etc. Nice and clean to the point you get that monochrome look.

V3Rtz8L.jpg

I think this Boxster concept shows the underlying idea quite well:

porsche-boxster-concept-10.jpg

As I understand it (which is doubtless imperfectly) the idea was to bring the scattering of lights into one coherent unit, whilst maintaining the iconic round headlight shape within the new single piece lamp assembly, and at the same time emphasise the single shut line across the nose.

If you look at the 993 you have two distinct units (ironically all clear on this car):

Porsche-993-C4S-front.jpg

What Pinky Lai did was to move them all into a single assembly whilst trying to maintain the character of the 911 - which based on the public reaction to the design wasn't a massive success it must be said.

But! If you look at the car you can see the iconic shape:

Attachments

• round_lights_176.jpg
    round_lights_176.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 4,618
alex yates said:
kas750 said:
Marky911 said:
Clear light pack all round, silver flasher bulbs all round and the internal orange filter removed. Keeps the car looking ice-cool.
Who's this cool customer?'
- Ice white shoes.
- Ice white socks with navy blue double cadet stripe.
- A pair of shorts.
- t-shirt with chevron action flash.
'L'homme du sport!, (Man of sport)
- A tossed pink sweater, that says I'm in Paris and nothing's going to stop me.

timm996 said:
Who's this cool customer?'
- Ice white shoes.
- Ice white socks with navy blue double cadet stripe.
- A pair of shorts.
- t-shirt with chevron action flash.
'L'homme du sport!, (Man of sport)
- A tossed pink sweater, that says I'm in Paris and nothing's going to stop me.

Not you if that's your attire. Although I never mentioned anything about cool customers, just cars looking cooler with clear light packs. Most 90s cars I owned had already ditched ambers. Can't believe Porsche fit ambers on a late 90s model.

Dammit said:
But! If you look at the car you can see the iconic shape:
http://911uk.com/files/round_lights_176.jpg

In this photo you can quite clearly see the family from the lights - they look like theyve been darkened outside the oval though. Cant seem to find a photo to show what mine look like (its at Chelsea Carerra today) but theyre definately a lot "brighter" with less defined ovals. I like the look of these ones - anyone know if those lights are modified?

Dammit said:
As I understand it (which is doubtless imperfectly) the idea was to bring the scattering of lights into one coherent unit, whilst maintaining the iconic round headlight shape within the new single piece lamp assembly, and at the same time emphasise the single shut line across the nose.

I agree with this. I do think most cars look much better "as the designer originally intended", before they are "updated".

Most likely Pinky Lai agonised over those headlights for months, only to be overruled later because the public connected ambers with dated looks (every other car company at the time was dropping ambers). You do loose the continuation of the line and the separation of the lights as you say with clears.

I have ambers front and rear still waiting to go on mine, as it would have been originally supplied.

I used to hate the ambers but they have really grown on me lately. I think they quite suit cars of that era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back