Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bridgestone N rated cracking after 3 years

Had this with my rear Bridgestones, 2014 dated so replaced them at 4mm with MPSS. Slightly unsightly but not an MOT fail unless really bad.

Had quite bad looking cracks in the base of the tread of two Bridgestones on my daughters Mini Cooper so I emailed Bridgestone about it with some photographs they sent an engineer to inspect them his verdict was that it was purely cosmetic and the tyres were perfectly OK to use, he said they would give an allowance on replacements if we wanted he also gave us a written confirmation that the tyres were perfectly safe to continue to use in case they were snagged on an MOT.

Del.

Delanor said:
Had quite bad looking cracks in the base of the tread of two Bridgestones on my daughters Mini Cooper so I emailed Bridgestone about it with some photographs they sent an engineer to inspect them his verdict was that it was purely cosmetic and the tyres were perfectly OK to use, he said they would give an allowance on replacements if we wanted he also gave us a written confirmation that the tyres were perfectly safe to continue to use in case they were snagged on an MOT.

Del.
That is interesting Del. Do you have any photos of the damage and a copy of the report you can post?
How old were the tires in question and did you have to show a receipt of purchase?
How much allowance was he offering against new replacements?
I will get a photo of mine today and post it up by way of comparison.
Scholester.

Generally very common on Bridgestone RE050A and also Pirelli PZero N2 are notorious for this within 1-2 years. Not ideal but not really a major safety issue unless very deep and on older tyres. The compounds on these tend to 'dry out' more than say Michelin.

It may be accelerated by use of TFR, truckwash or other heavy duty wheel cleaners often used in hand car wash outfits, and also by UV exposure if parked in the sun rather put away in a garage.

Had the same thing on Bridgestone S02As on my 996T, the fronts cracked at the root of the tread block, rears were perfect. Tyres were 3 years old.

Fitted Mich PS2s and haven't changed back. The Bridgestones do offer a very direct steering feel compared to the Michelins but in terms of outright grip, the french rubber has it easily.

The tyres were just under 4 years old with 5mm of tread remaining to the wear blocks they offered 20% discount never asked for anything the field engineer just said it is usually only the outer layer of rubber that cracks and they were perfectly OK to use.

Del.

Attachments

• dscn1038_345.jpg
    dscn1038_345.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 1,248
Certainly a little unusual although in that position there is no danger unless the crack extends under the tread rubber resulting in a seperation

I would expect that the manufacturer would be interested in seeing that...........

IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg

Pretty much the same all round

I would contact Bridgestone as they are "N" rated tyres on a powerful sportscar they might be really sympathetic its worth a try.

Del.

Pointless mon brav

Rear tyres at 4mm so require replacing soonish

Fronts with ample tread will stay on

The rears - yet to choose - probably french

997 Coast said:
IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg

Pretty much the same all round

They look pretty screwed to me. Mine aren't anywhere near as bad (only very slight cracking to outer tread area) and I'm not confident so I would definitely consign yours to the bin.

I have been trying to post a photo of mine to no avail but I will keep on trying....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back