Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which performance engine mounts

Phil 997 said:
nikos525 said:
Phil 997 said:
Nik. I have used Rennline adjustable semis on my gen1 thought they were great I used the softest yellow or yellow .
other really like the RSS semis ,

I have recently been looking at the function first option, they use an OE engine mount filled with urethane which sounds very interesting but I have yet to fully investigate and read reviews

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/engine-mount-upgrade
Thanks Phil, I was looking at the Rennline adjustable ones. Mine is a tip & I don't track it, so I was thinking that instead of going for OEM I'll go for an upgraded mount with the softest setup, plus they must look cool in the engine bay :D

Yes the good thing is you can play around with them Carrara monkey is running blue over yellow and he loves it. Looks Like Mike was running Blue and now Yellow I ran with Yellow so plenty of options to get it just how you want it for you. :thumb:
How easy are they to swap out?

nikos525 said:
How easy are they to swap out?

Local indy did it in less than an hour. Up on the ramps, support under the engine, drop the car down so weight of the engine is supported, then I think it's just 2 bolts either side to undo to remove the mounts. The inserts just pop on and off.

I imagine if doing it at home with a jack and axel stands it would take quite a bit longer but would still be a fairly simple procedure.

Nik as the others have said you need to support the engine and then its very straight forward, James the mobile porsche tech does it on my drive. :thumb: about an hour :thumb:

Today I ordered the function first semi semi solid engine mounts , after several emails with Luka the Owner about the differences between the rennin/rss semi solids and his new OE mounts that are then filled with urathane. I couldnt find much on the internet about them but he gave me the confidence to try them as they dont have the NVH of a semi solid and as IMO that wasnt much anyway when I used rennline semis on my ge1 I can only assume its negligable if any NVH but will give me the wins that come by fitting semi solids.
I will keep you posted when they are fitted :thumb: I am hoping this will be one of those OEplus mods

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/engine-mount-upgrade

Thats great Phil, you can be guinea pig then.

The only other option I've not seen mentioned in the 997 section is the 993 RS mounts which are a more solid design than standard and can be got for a reasonable amount via D911 at the moment.

rhino-man said:

The only other option I've not seen mentioned in the 997 section is the 993 RS mounts which are a more solid design than standard and can be got for a reasonable amount via D911 at the moment.

yes the 993RS ones were an option and I know some guys really like them but I understood they also came with a degree of NVH which I was trying to minimise this time , the Gen1 was fine with rennline as its less refined than the gen2 so given the more aggressive engine note and everything it worked fine but I wanted the feel of semi solids but without the harshness of them for the gen2.

I will keep you posted on the FF semisemi solids :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
rhino-man said:

yes the 993RS ones were an option and I know some guys really like them but I understood they also came with a degree of NVH which I was trying to minimise this time , the Gen1 was fine with rennline as its less refined than the gen2 so given the more aggressive engine note and everything it worked fine but I wanted the feel of semi solids but without the harshness of them for the gen2.

Sounds like you are going soft Phil and will be donning the flat cap and string backs of a Sunday afternoon pootle :wink:

Scholester said:
Phil 997 said:
rhino-man said:

Sounds like you are going soft Phil and will be donning the flat cap and string backs of a Sunday afternoon pootle :wink:

:floor: :floor: I know found myself looking at sandals and sock recently :nooo: if these from the states are too soft I will go semi solids before I do something radical and buy an aircooled 911 :grin:

This one Phil??

Attachments

• image_96.jpeg
    image_96.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,359
Scholester said:
This one Phil??

:floor: :floor: well if I was going aircooled it would probably end up like that just to watch the faces of the illuminati :floor:

Put the 964RS mounts on mine over the weekend. Not a huge difference in NVH but car feels tighter. Shift quality still not great but suspect the shifter needs some tlc

redbaron1973 said:
Put the 964RS mounts on mine over the weekend. Not a huge difference in NVH but car feels tighter. Shift quality still not great but suspect the shifter needs some tlc

have you got a stock shifter or a SSK mate , if your happy with the stock throw then the GT3 shifter is the one to get with metal bushings and bolt action feel
my problem is I like the SSK throw but dont like the slop so options for me are fit a OE SSK and the function first shift right kit that has metal bushings , but it wont fit my aftermarket SSK without being a PITA to do. So I am on the lookout for a used OE SSK. :thumb:

Phil I'll be interested in how the Function first mounts feel - waiting for your feedback :D I've read a little blurb, mostly from 996 owners.
As I understand these are OEM mounts just with a bit of urethane in the gap, but my wonder is how long before these give up? Will they last less/longer than the semi solid mounts?

nikos525 said:
Phil I'll be interested in how the Function first mounts feel - waiting for your feedback :D I've read a little blurb, mostly from 996 owners.
As I understand these are OEM mounts just with a bit of urethane in the gap, but my wonder is how long before these give up? Will they last less/longer than the semi solid mounts?

Well Nick , I am expecting them to last as long as a new set of OE mounts as he told me they use new mounts not used ones . pumping urathaine into the mounts isnt a new concept and I have read posts from guys that have done a DIY version cleared out the oily stuff in them and filled with urathaine but these are the first done for you fit and forget versions I have seen so I had to try them. :grin:
Whats the view of them in the 996 blurb you have read mate is it good or bad :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back