Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

City driving a Manual Turbo compared to a 4S

Drove into Ghent last minute,a couple of years ago, when there was trouble at Calais.
I was in the 996 Turbo manual, we had just come back from the Nurburgring.

It was rush hour, the streets were narrow and cobbled and there were trams and pushbikes everywhere.

I was astounded at how easy it was to drive.

My friend who was passengering all weekend was astounded at the all round capabilities of the car....Track/country roads/motorways/city streets :thumb:

silvermilnec said:
T8 said:
K888ETH said:
T8 said:
What's wrong with a 997.1 Turbo Tiptronic :?:

Fair point, I enjoyed mine, it does suit the car. That said, PDK is in a different league.

agreed ........... but it's also only available at a totally different price point. :wink:
totally agree, yes the pdk is better but then the engine arguably better in the GEN 1! The tip a very capable box and in manual with the better steering wheel it's a hell of a car for the money!!

Manual mode in the tiptronic or manual
Gear stick?

Because due to the fact the tiptronic doesn't down shift when you need to I feel that could expose me on a bend of braking wasnt quite enough . Very powerful car for me not to feel fully in control . Don't get me wrong manual isn't ideal for me but at least I feel more in control than the tip and will hold its money better than tip

I may be wrong

badbox said:
Because due to the fact the tiptronic doesn't down shift when you need to I feel that could expose me on a bend of braking wasnt quite enough . Very powerful car for me not to feel fully in control . Don't get me wrong manual isn't ideal for me but at least I feel more in control than the tip and will hold its money better than tip

I may be wrong

Youre worrying me that I may be risking my life unnecessarily. I'm genuinely scared and would like to learn more from a skilled driver such as yourself. Probably explains why so many have been written off in fatal RTAs and carry such an Insurance premium. Tell me, over how many miles in a 997.1 turbo tiptronic did you establish this fatal flaw? :?:

badbox said:

I may be wrong

The Tip would change down whenever circumstances required - just not as quickly as the PDK. In normal road use I doubt that many would notice the second or two difference.

If you drive in 'M' mode you have just as much control over the car as you do with 3 pedals, except for the ability to slip the clutch.

Gen 1 Tips hold their value as much as Gen 1 manual cars. When bought new they depreciated more than manuals but on the secondhand market they're cheaper to buy.

I'm guessing you've never driven a Tip'. If you did I think you'd probably be very pleasantly surprised.

badbox said:
..... my question is the 4S is fine in town as the gear ratios are long enough so your not forever changing gears. !st and 2nd is fine for the usual city driving

How much does a Manual turbo differ to a manual 4s :)

Sorry for the :hijack:

The torque of the Turbo means that you'd need to change gear less than in your current car. In city driving, after pulling away, you'd probably spend most of your time in second gear.

iirc you've only had your 4S for 3 months. Are you really thinking of changing so soon. :?:

T8 said:
iirc you've only had your 4S for 3 months. Are you really thinking of changing so soon. :?:

Come on Terry, keep up, it was purchased on 20th Dec.

Im test driving a tip and a manual this week to decide..... my heads saying tip my heart manual. Im going by comments from a pal that owned a gen 1 tip and said not to bother.......also most reviews online mention tip as not the preferred choice due to not only its response time but also the buttons on the steering wheel. I will drive the tip and manual this week but im pretty sure themanuals will hold their value longer ....Tips might have caught up a bit but they certainly took a hit, not just the turbos but carrera 2s and 4s.
Ill comment again on this thread once I have had both test drives. For all those with Tips that might have been offended I come in peace....Just going by what a pal who owned one said and from what I read :dont know:

T8 said:
badbox said:
..... my question is the 4S is fine in town as the gear ratios are long enough so your not forever changing gears. !st and 2nd is fine for the usual city driving

How much does a Manual turbo differ to a manual 4s :)

Sorry for the :hijack:

The torque of the Turbo means that you'd need to change gear less than in your current car. In city driving, after pulling away, you'd probably spend most of your time in second gear.

Love the 4s just slightly under powered for me and for 15-20k more for a turbo I can fully justify it......by the time I make the change 6-8 months would have passed and `I usually change my cars on a yearly basis....I wanted a GTS or a turbo from the off but saw the spec I wanted and good price for the 4S and went with it....great car for me to introduce myself to Porsche

Don't forget you can change the steering wheel to a GEN 2 or 991 full paddles :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back