Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Really Chuffed

M96

New 996.1 c2 owner here... Long time lurker, but first post, so easy does it please!

2001 Arctic Silver on Black, Manual, Sunroof delete, sports seats, refreshed M030. Basically as simple as poss... This one not a cable throttle which was my original intention, but there comes a point where you just have to go for it... the rest of the spec was exactly what I was after.

Felt compelled to submit a post after a 3 hour early morning blast to, and around the EVO Triangle this morning in north wales... while I've been tootling around for a couple of weeks since purchasing the car, this is the first time I've managed to find time for a focussed drive.

As a serial sports car owner, and being lucky enough to test a lot of capable automotive machinery as part of my day job, I simply cannot believe the astounding value for money on offer an early 996 is.

It's capability, character, pedigree and sheer breadth of talent can surely not fail to be recognised as the 911 game continues to move on, and water cooling isn't seen as the enemy anymore...

I have driven the route I did this morning in more focussed cars, but none were any more enjoyable than this plain vanilla C2. Fantastic fluidity, enough feedback to keep you interested and safe, and the unmistakable rear engined dynamic making for smiles a plenty. Some (even in my clumsy hands) eye-widening cross country pace given the design is now 20 years old too.

Looking forward to many more happy miles, and hopefully can avoid the m96 venting its spleen all over the road / track in that time...!

Next stop, cold air induction mod, and dansk sports exhaust (assume the super sound will be too much for what I'm after). Other than that, looking to keep it standard for now.

Happy peddling to all.

Attachments

• ec78cefd_996c_460b_ab8d_e4460d992254_659.png
    ec78cefd_996c_460b_ab8d_e4460d992254_659.png
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 6,730
Congrats - looks lovely.

Great car and 1st post.

Welcome along. Mine is my 5th 911 over 15 years and like you my flabber is well and truly gasted at how much car you get for the money.

It only takes a quick look on eBay to see old XR2s and 205GTi's selling for £15k to make you realise how bonkers the modern classic market is at the moment.
Why the heck anyone would choose something like that over a 996 with so much to offer is beyond me.

I love the old hot hatches as much as anyone but, choose one over my 996?
Never.

Enjoy the car. Looks like a good'un! :thumb:

Nice post and welcome.

Great to hear the 996 recipe is enjoyed

Welcome , great first post the car looks great , your spot on with the induction mod first its a no brainer , use a bmc sports filter , I find them less likely to get oil on the maff than the K&N .

Before rushing out and buying a dansk exhaust have a read about some of the issues guys have had with them and the zero customer support on offer. my money would be spent on a topgear exhaust that comes with a lifetime you own the car warranty and is a much better quality system for the same sort of money
If you call topgear ask for Alex the sales director tell him your from this forum and ask him for 10% off the list prices . he will look after you :thumb:
They have a very good reputation on this forum

https://www.topgear.co.uk/by-manufacturers/porsche

:welcome: M96

That's Friends Green Porsche.

What were they like to deal with as they have some nice Aero kitted cars...and an forum member's red 996T too :thumbs:

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car :D

:thumb:

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Marky911 - totally agree on the modern classic front. I enjoy any car that has got a bit of focus (and have owned / crashed a few 205s in my time...), but can't ever imagine trading one for a 996!

Phill997 - Interesting thoughts on the exhaust front - I've never heard of topgear before you mentioned them, but seem pretty good value, and nicely made from the pictures...

I don't want to go crazy loud, so I assume a sport option (rather than their louder version) for either dansk or topgear - what have other people done, and what were your thoughts..?

HSC911 - we'll done - top of the class! I thought someone may notice it was friends green - they're very consistent with the photography, which is good for them as they continue to build their reputation.

I had a really good experience with Luke (he runs the business) and they have plans to expand.

I've taken the car to Unique Porsche in Bolton for a general look around it (also really recommend, fantastic service and encourages owners to discuss and be involved in the work if they are so inclined), and he said it was a really clean example (thankfully, considering i'd already bought it...!).

M96 said:
Many thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Marky911 - totally agree on the modern classic front. I enjoy any car that has got a bit of focus (and have owned / crashed a few 205s in my time...), but can't ever imagine trading one for a 996!

Phill997 - Interesting thoughts on the exhaust front - I've never heard of topgear before you mentioned them, but seem pretty good value, and nicely made from the pictures...

I don't want to go crazy loud, so I assume a sport option (rather than their louder version) for either dansk or topgear - what have other people done, and what were your thoughts..?

HSC911 - we'll done - top of the class! I thought someone may notice it was friends green - they're very consistent with the photography, which is good for them as they continue to build their reputation.

I had a really good experience with Luke (he runs the business) and they have plans to expand.

I've taken the car to Unique Porsche in Bolton for a general look around it (also really recommend, fantastic service and encourages owners to discuss and be involved in the work if they are so inclined), and he said it was a really clean example (thankfully, considering i'd already bought it...!).

I would look at the topgear valvetronic exhaust with 200cell cats that way you get the option of more bhp but also you can switch from gate of hell opening to sunday driver :floor: with the flick of a button . the best of all options.

this is my old gen 1 with their set up on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A245fr9lso

this is forum member "shabs" topgear set up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=26fjqA6eUt8

hope those clips give you an idea :thumb:

Have a Topgear exhaust on my 996 Turbo and I am very pleased with it

Welcome, top first post and I whole-heartedly agree, the C2 really is a gem :thumb:

HSC911 said:

What were they like to deal with as they have some nice Aero kitted cars...and an forum member's red 996T too :thumbs:

I've got a less pleasant experience to share, I'm afraid - put a deposit on a reasonably nice 996 with aero kit (although almost certainly not factory fitted as claimed) and had a PPI check done on it by Porsche Inspections. It turned out there was a serious engine issue (camshaft deviation angle suggesting excessive engine wear) among a range of other more minor items. We discussed options for remedial work to try to address it, which I ultimately decided not to go for. He's now claiming that legally he owes me no money and is refusing to refund my deposit in full (£500). Beware!

porsche996aero said:
HSC911 said:

I've got a less pleasant experience to share, I'm afraid - put a deposit on a reasonably nice 996 with aero kit (although almost certainly not factory fitted as claimed) and had a PPI check done on it by Porsche Inspections. It turned out there was a serious engine issue (camshaft deviation angle suggesting excessive engine wear) among a range of other more minor items. We discussed options for remedial work to try to address it, which I ultimately decided not to go for. He's now claiming that legally he owes me no money and is refusing to refund my deposit in full (£500). Beware!

Sorry to hear this :nooo:

Did you place the initial deposit over the phone by any chance?

Sorry to hear your bad experience 996aero...

I guess my sale was relatively trouble free (though I have called upon the warranty for a relatively minor niggle, which is yet to be fully resolved), therefore not too much of a test on the customer service side other than the vehicle was as described and presented well to be fair.

I hope any residual issues can be sorted with minimal fuss, and your quest for a 996 is fulfilled soon.

M96

If it was advertised as having engine-wear issues, then he's right about the deposit.

However, I'm guessing that is absolutely not the case, so a small-claims court action should sort the crook out pretty quickly.

Well done on the PPI; you dodged a big bullet, there. Might want to post the registration of this car all over the internet too, to warn other buyers that he's selling a lemon.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back