Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reliable V8 estate - what should I buy?

To throw in another option, albeit a V10, but the previous generation S6 might fit the bill - sounds pretty good as well..

Graemep said:
To throw in another option, albeit a V10, but the previous generation S6 might fit the bill - sounds pretty good as well..

And this is a man who knows his Audi's :thumbs:

Though if I was in the market for a V8 estate I'd struggle to get past a certain machine...... :cloud9:

:grin:

I do like them, but - I'm really, really bored of spending money on the 850.

Those of you who have read my 996 thread will have seen the standard I keep my cars too, now consider if that car is a 22 year old, 185,000 mile, heavily tuned Volvo.

So whatever replaces the Volvo needs to be routine maintenance only, and I'm afraid the Layer Cake generation RS6 would not be so.

New997buyer said:
Graemep said:

Though if I was in the market for a V8 estate I'd struggle to get past a certain machine...... :cloud9:

Don't know anything about the cars but an excellent film :thumb:

Moving the other way, in terms of cache, values and running costs, have a look at Skoda. Octavia or Superb.
Well specced, reasonably well put together, frugal in terms of fuel economy and reliable.
Would fit your criteria OP, but don't expect to feel as though you have lived on the ragged edge after a drive. You already have a toy for that.

Small matter - no V8.

Dammit said:
So whatever replaces the Volvo needs to be routine maintenance only, and I'm afraid the Layer Cake generation RS6 would not be so.

:sad:

Dammit said:
What year/mileage would you look for in a B7 RS4?

The B7 they only made over 2006/2007, earlier cars have orange indicators.

Personally I bought this one https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-buying-guides/audi-rs4-b7--ph-buying-guide/28785

But i would have looked at higher mileage ones as long as they had FBSW, buckets, BT, coil overs or most recent revision of DRC(V3 i think), recent discs and pads change etc but i got lucky and bought one with ceramics but i paid up, i wouldn't worry about the mileage as the engines are good but the bolsters on the buckets seats wear badly with heavy unsympathetic use. The black avants seem to be the cheapest out of the avants, iv'e seen some great deals, a black one with 115k miles and all the problems taken care of go for £12000. The guy had only owned it a short time and his wife didnt like it, it had KW3 coil overs and i think it was probably set up to harsh. A trip to COG and i bet it would of been great.

The proffered spec is the bucket seats BUT as an everyday car the normal seat has to be the better seat. Comparing almost like for like cars but one with buckets and fbsw vs a standard car would see the latter about £3000 cheaper i reckon, maybe more if the bucket seats are in good condition, a good pair of buckets sell for £2500+ easily.

New997buyer said:
Graemep said:

Passed on the opportunity to buy that very car back in 2006.. :duh:

Bund said:
The proffered spec is the bucket seats BUT as an everyday car the normal seat has to be the better seat. Comparing almost like for like cars but one with buckets and fbsw vs a standard car would see the latter about £3000 cheaper i reckon, maybe more if the bucket seats are in good condition, a good pair of buckets sell for £2500+ easily.

Crazy as it sounds, there's been quite a few categorised as write-offs because they were targeted for their bucket seats, especially around SW London..

The replacement cost for the seats are insane.

OP I don't think a B7 RS4 is particularly reliable. For an estate that sort of size I'd buy a cheap used Golf R Estate or get a cheap leasing deal on one. They're surprisingly practical cars and cheap servicing etc reasonably frugal. Best everyday car out there for me. Skoda, Seat, Audi all do their own twist on the same MQB platform as the Golf estate.

Something with a V8 - but a bit different and you like Volvos?
960 estate with a Ford V8 crate motor!!!

1995-Volvo-960-Station-Wagon.jpg

More seriously though - a Mercedes E500 estate. I understand that V8 is a bit more reliable, and without the AMG badge, are much cheaper.

Graemep said:
Bund said:

Crazy as it sounds, there's been quite a few categorised as write-offs because they were targeted for their bucket seats, especially around SW London..

The replacement cost for the seats are insane.

Yeah it's a known issue and the standard Audi Alarm apparently isn't very loud. I've had a pandora system fitted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back