Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S brake line costs?

Robertb said:
Is it easy to inspect the condition of one's nipples (ahem) without doing more harm than good? It is worth a squirt of WD40 or somesuch?

Ps I like the toybox in the pic Wasz!

Not really. Just undo them.....replace with titanium, stainless or just new ones. The procedure I use is:

Tap tap tap (not too hard) with a hammer (see how distorted that nipple is in the pic)
Plus Gas
Tap Tap Tap
Plus Gas
Use the T bar on my socket set to apply equal rotational force to the nipple
Do not use a spanner or a ratchet
Pray it doesn't snap.

Not had a problem yet. Sometimes I throw a kettle of boiling water over the job but I don't think it makes a difference.

Thats a Jumperoo next to the wine rack....both for de-stressing when you can't undo your nipples :floor:

Anybody got a link for titanium or stainless nipples please?

Looks like a good solution for sure if one has the skills......

The Indie spoke to the mobile caliper repair guy and he did not sound too hopeful of success rates on the newer calipers (regularly rebuilds older aircooled cars ones) as said the newer ones are off lesser quality.

So the indie is effectively looking to engineer the solution themselves. They have re-tapped the caliper but the shorter nipples did not seal fully so have ordered some longer Porsche bleed nipples to hopefully sort it.

If that does not work then they reckon that the new calioper route is best. Worst case I guess I can see if the old one can subsequently be repaired and sell it potentially to get back part of the outlay for a new one. They are doing there best to avoid the new caliper route so fingers crossed.

rhino-man said:

Have a look at the HEL website, a few of us have used them.

maldren said:
rhino-man said:

Have a look at the HEL website, a few of us have used them.

Thanks, which size?

IIRC 10mm but call them and they'll sort you out, they good stainless brake lines too.

gilessav said:
Looks like a good solution for sure if one has the skills......

The Indie spoke to the mobile caliper repair guy and he did not sound too hopeful of success rates on the newer calipers (regularly rebuilds older aircooled cars ones) as said the newer ones are off lesser quality.

So the indie is effectively looking to engineer the solution themselves. They have re-tapped the caliper but the shorter nipples did not seal fully so have ordered some longer Porsche bleed nipples to hopefully sort it.

If that does not work then they reckon that the new calioper route is best. Worst case I guess I can see if the old one can subsequently be repaired and sell it potentially to get back part of the outlay for a new one. They are doing there best to avoid the new caliper route so fingers crossed.

Nipples are m10x1 fine thread. I bought stainless from ebay, they aren't specially long.

If you mess the thread up you can buy m12x1 nipples.

But don't let them mess your caliper up by attempting in situ. Remove and take to a proper engineer. They can also re cut the nipple seat.

My brakes are ok at the moment but I've got new stainless lines and fluid so may as well get some new nipples too with the rest of my 120k mega service++

Thanks Paul, I'm currently accumulating parts for the 996 i bought for mainly the missus to use, but its nice to tinker.
Its in fairly good nick but 120k miles so I'm doing a "heavy" service so i'm accumulating many parts to hit it all in one go, already bought flexis and brake fluid so might as well get these too.

Yes I'm good thanks and I am planning to do Blyton in May, just need to send the cheque off to Rod but provisionally booked a place. I take it you are going?

Yes I should be there :thumb:
I changed my front callipers. to the 997 turbo 6pots with hel performance stainless hoses, just to cheer you up, the brake pipes were welded with rust to the nut connection part, it all just twisted off! So I ended up having to replace the front pipes, a lovely job, not.
See you in may,
Cheers John

Update here that caliper is fixed with the longer nipples it seems to that helps by saving £622 (inl VAT) for a new one :?

Picked car up tonight and total bill just over £1800 with 13.5 hrs for the brake job. Ones down the side easy, front brake lines and others which became apparent meant dismantling the front of the car and apparently lots of swearing at the design!

either way now sorted and should not need doing again for many years! An expensive couple of weeks but I was due a decent sized bill given the 'free' previous year so the old ~2K a year is about right over time.

Good to be back in the car after 10days without and that dirty unwashed C4S rear end reminds me why I'm not planning on selling :lol:

That sounds extraordinarily expensive for 13.5 hours labour, was it at an OPC?

Crikey I hope they broke that to you gently?

The front is awkward with having to drop the subframe. And of course you need alignment after that too. But yes, only needs doing once, unless you put steel lines back in, in which case it will need doing again in 15 years time.....

Should have said the costs included the 48K service at £475 and the parts were around 2-3 hundred so labour 13.5hrs at £70+VAT.

Seems the front lines were slightly bizarre in their path, and as said the front of the car and even into the headlight on one side needed pulling apart. Porsche lines back in so I imagine the original type so in 15 years time we'll be back around (or maybe longer if kept garaged!!).

just got to get the lights sorted for the MOT and the cracked alloy replaced once the spare is sprayed and then hopefully some cheaper time ahead (other than tax and MOT in Feb....) the planned paint repair may have to wait a month or two :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back